Author Topic: Kitchen Trailer - Information requested  (Read 11090 times)

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
Re: Kitchen Trailer - Information requested
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 04:17:15 PM »
Hey Mate,

You might have just volunteered for the unit caterer position and I'm sure Daryl AKA Magellan might be the potatoe pealer your after 😊👍

Look forward to your history of the field kitchen trailer article, good luck with it.
Cheers,

Mick

Offline glbest

• THANKS 19
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 10:33:43 AM »
spoken to defence they have been withdrawn and the CES have been archived spoke to a mate in catering been withdrawn for years tring and get involved with the local ARES unit and ask the catering sergeant for help
best advise from the experts use the manufactures OEM

Offline glbest

• THANKS 19
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 10:37:35 AM »
ask the local ARES unit tech spt might be able to other the RPS Guides and old operations manual

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 10:00:38 PM »
Thanks Greg and Mick - Always looking for someone to peel the spuds!  Worse part about the present time is work is just too full on.  I will follow up all leads, ARES is one I haven't thought of.  Still awaiting some information and I am hoping that the post will spark some interest from the catering corps as there were a lot of very capable army cooks.  I have been led to believe that there was an extensive training program for these trailers which, after working on one, is not surprising. :)

Frank

Offline glbest

• THANKS 19
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 11:12:12 AM »
try the sponsoring unit as the aac unit has unit designated Code they can demand items out of the system and it doesnot affect the sponsor unit ie tentage field equipment rations
(fresh rations are cheaper than ration packs )

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 12:17:23 PM »
I'd even give the School of Catering a call , you never know they maybe able to help?

I think it's the ADF School of Catering based at HMAS CERBERUS .

Somene there would have a good knowledge of them you'd reckon ?

I'll see if I can find a contact for you .

Cheers,

Mick

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 11:14:16 PM »
 ;) Thanks Mick, another good idea I hadn't thought of.  Sooner or later I'll track the details down and make them available for others  :-)
They really are an impressive piece of gear. 

Offline glbest

• THANKS 19
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 12:57:02 PM »
spoken to an instructor at army school of catering in the field training area and they have not used them for several years and were withdrawn from service

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »
Dear All - Success at last !!!!!   :)

A great team of Warrant officers, and a Sergeant from the Army Museum including a friend of a mate, has done the impossible!  I now have a paper copy of the KFM (LT) Manual and even the trials report from 1985.   This includes the Haas Sohn components and all of the modifications completed on subsequent versions of the trailer.  Most interesting is the technical report as to why the modifications were made based on the trials of 6 trailers in the SWBTA Shoal Water Bay Tasman Warrior exercise.  The report was undertaken by AACC as a form of project validation in 1985.

The units involved were 5/7 RAR - Holsworthy NSW, 1 Armd Regt - Puckapunyal Vic and HQ 1 Bde Holsworthy NSW.  Allocation of trailers was to -
KFM (LT) ARN 42-828 (from 3 RAR) and ARN 42-825 HQ 1 BDE; ARN 42-832 Not specified, ARN 42-830 from 5/7 RAR; ARN 42-824 1 ARMD REGT and ARN 42 - 827 3 RAR.  The documents are incredibly interesting reading (if you have a field kitchen) and explain so much of the process behind the project, kitchen construction and particularly use.  Using the system for our Cadet activity showed how much time could be saved by having such a valuable piece of equipment and was extremely popular.  The trailer we acquired was hopelessly incomplete when obtained and much of the internals were rusted beyond use with all of the oven and fire box seals missing.  There was much to do.  The resultant nearly finished product however is excellent.  I manufactured a canvas cover that actually keeps the dust out by means of adding an internal compressible bandage around the table top rim.   Still more work to do, however on the down hill side of the project now thanks to accurate information, most gratefully received.

Frank

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 07:27:22 PM »
More Pictures
Some show poor condition of original trailer, new doors fabricated, new insulation, canvas covers  - I will post more later on if there is an interest.

Frank  :D

Offline glbest

• THANKS 19
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 02:22:01 PM »
could you post a copy i was talking to friend and the army hasnot used them since the 90 and they donot how may are still in service all documentation has been removed from the system and archived 

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2017, 09:27:16 PM »
Well done Frank,

Great news !

Look forward to,seeing the trailer back to its former glory . I think from memory I had never seen one towed by a rover, how do you find it ?

Best of luck with her.

Cheers,

Mick

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 01:05:41 PM »

Thanks for the comments Greg and Mick.  Firstly the document I have is huge in paper form and it will take a lot of time to reduce to an electronic version - a job for winter.  It is well worthwhile doing though, as it is a very good read.  This makes me appreciate even more the efforts of the team that made the copy of the documents available in the first place.  Again - Thank you very much.

To answer your question  Mick's, the 110 GS does a great job of towing the trailer at its maximum rated towing speed of 80 kmh.  Neither likes hills very much but I don't mind this as the trailer is 1.6 Tonnes and with the land rover load of  FS tables, Engel fridge, area lighting kit, water, gas, utensils cooking, pots cooking assorted, all other manner of equipment as per the CES plus dry and fresh supplies - it is a well balanced and reasonable load.  Off road I take things slower than usual.  The trailer is very well designed and agile, if loaded in accordance with the OPINS is very well balanced. I really appreciate one huge advantage of the GS land rover over the RFSV and 6x6as tow vehicles,  is that you can actually see the trailer behind you and observe how well it is tracking.  When I first obtained the trailer and had to tow it back from NSW I was towing it behind a Discovery 4.  This was effortless and easy.  It took a lot of time to get the balance right before I got onto the highway.  (Actually got pulled over by NSW Highway patrol as no rego plates - lucky I had an unregistered vehicle permit though!)  The highway patrol officer was great and had an active interest in the trailer and obviously saw that some effort had gone into securing all fittings on the trailer, the lights worked and safety fittings were in place.  No worries whatsoever.  I cannot overstate the importance of balance and keeping the required weight forward of the axle.  When done properly this enabled the trailer to be towed at 110 kph on the Hume with the chance to relax and enjoy the drive.  On that trip home, two flat tyres meant that the pre planning was worthwhile with a jack, tools, spare on the trailer (so far out of balance it was dangerous and had to be fixed immediately) and the carriage of another complete wheel and tyre enabled recovery to be far less difficult than it needed to be.   When I read the Shoal water Bay Exercise report it really made sense and confirmed what I had learned.  The report explained even better ways to tow and operate the trailer.  Perhaps at some stage in the future I might be able to afford a turbo like Carzee and that will make things even better.
Considering the rated towing speed I would have no hesitation in towing the trailer anywhere.  Reversing the trailer requires the reversing isolation latch to be used.  Trailer brakes and over-ride is perfect, you could not ask for anything better.  Getting all of this right took time as expected.   Hope this answers your question Mick?

Cheers
Frank

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2017, 09:50:15 PM »
Great answer Frank - Thank you.

The cooks probably towed them behind trucks because of the stores they would have carried. It's good to know it travels well behind a Rover though.

I do agree they are a great piece of kit and well worth the effort of restoration. I do remember hearing a story of a bloke who bought one at auction for $50 because he was the only bid.

I'll look forward to your future posts on the topic.

Cheers,

Mick

Offline glbest

• THANKS 19
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 03:21:11 PM »
found this on remlr site HAVING A CLEAN OUT

Hass -Sohn mobile Field Kitchen complete with
storage box (full of spares)
 tents winter and summer
 manuals 
3gas /1 kero-diesel burners