Author Topic: S2a in camo 174-879  (Read 16529 times)

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
  • REMLR No: 70
Re: S2a in camo 174-879
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 05:33:43 PM »
Thanks for that update re Ian T, he is a really nice old chap, he also told me how he took on the council as well, methinks they just thought he was a silly old bugger, far from that he is, ? did he ever say where the fire truck went, not that I want it, cheers Dennis

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 07:20:27 PM »
Hi Dennis,

As I understand it it was sold to a bloke in Sydney NSW. The fire tender has a fair amount of damage, Ian wasn't that mechanically minded and wasn't sure about chassis damage. I think FFRMAN might know a little more?

There was significant damage to the front drivers side after the vehicle took off down the paddock and hit a tree.  Ian also mentioned the top / ladder racks , etc were damaged as well.

I would have loved to have seen you sort that vehicle out Dennis.

It would be something very nice today. 😊👍

Offline 2short

• THANKS 41
  • REMLR No: 471
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 09:09:54 PM »
Cheers for the update too Mick. I would like to hear his stories too one day about why he chose those particular vehicles to buy. He probably knows their history well.

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 10:09:25 PM »
Hi Dennis,

As I understand it it was sold to a bloke in Sydney NSW. The fire tender has a fair amount of damage, Ian wasn't that mechanically minded and wasn't sure about chassis damage. I think FFRMAN might know a little more?

There was significant damage to the front drivers side after the vehicle took off down the paddock and hit a tree.  Ian also mentioned the top / ladder racks , etc were damaged as well.

I would have loved to have seen you sort that vehicle out Dennis.

It would be something very nice today. 😊👍

Yeah fire tender is on Melbourne to a known restorer, I actually have the original motor out of it and offered it to them but no response, oh well tried to be nice!

The fire tender has a bent chassis it actually run down the road and hit the power pole on the passenger side when Ian was opening the gate.

Yes Ian had NO mechanical knowledge and would drive a vehicle until it stopped then put the number plate on another and drive it until it stopped.

Story is at the auctions everyone would let Ian buy the first vehicles just to get him out of the way then the real auctions would start.

Last of a real eccentric.

Ian's shorty went to Sydney.

Did I mention he was my primary school teacher when I was in grade 5 in 1974! Maybe that's where I got the bug from. Lol

Only the survey and an ambo left on site.
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2016, 08:23:28 AM »
Hi Boys,

Yes Shorty I think you'd enjoy having a chat with him - I sure did.

Scott , I think your right he probably is responsible for your addiction 😊👍

He is one of the last of the mould that's fore sure . I could imagine he'd have been well known at the auctions for more than one reason.

I think there might be a little bit of Ian in all of us ex military Land Rover  lunatic's 😊👍

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
  • REMLR No: 20
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2016, 02:57:06 PM »
Good to hear that Ian made it to the meeting Mick.

It would be good to hear the story behind the vehicles, especially the ones we now own, although he did have so many that it would be hard to remember them all.....

It was always an eye opener to drive past his property, the sheer amount of stuff there was amazing.

He was certainly responsible for collecting a large amount of gear in the 80s and 90s, that is now a great record of how these vehicles etc. were released at auction.

Hopefully I will get the chance to show him the FFT when it is finished -  although he will need to be patient  ::)

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
  • REMLR No: 70
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2016, 04:25:25 PM »
Yes Mick, I would have really liked to get hold of that Fire Tender, I remember Ian telling me about it when I met him at his gate, it had happened a few months before I had met him, anyway I did put the seed in his head about "if he wanted to dispose of it, would he consider me!", I did keep this this section of chassis of a S2A 109 just in case,

but by mid 2010 I realised that it probably wasn't going to happen, and I had already removed the X member from under the G/box to replace in my replica LRPV and in the image I'm removing the front X member to put into 113-372 Provo S2A 88", anyway maybe who ever has it will do it justice, but they are going to need a chassis section for the left front as it's crumpled++, cheers Dennis  :)
ps I had collected period fire extinguishers and a few other bits, but they are all gone now,,.
pps I wonder whatever happened to the Wksp manuals x 2 and the RPS scale books that I gave him???,,.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:29:51 PM by DennisM »

Offline 2short

• THANKS 41
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2017, 09:33:27 PM »
Sitting in the shade today. Trial fit of an original ODF cam canopy I bought separately.

Offline 2short

• THANKS 41
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2017, 11:20:34 AM »
Bit of an update. I sold this vehicle some months ago to an ex-army chap in Corowa. It is currently being restored and should be ready for Year of the Land Rover in March 2018.