Author Topic: So, I bought a FFT  (Read 34289 times)

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
  • REMLR No: 20
Re: So, I bought a FFT
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2015, 01:57:43 PM »
2short,

The vehicle had a lot of loose paint on the chassis and under the tub and the front wings. Lots of this came off, multiple coats of black and olive drab. I don't think I'm down to the original paint yet in most spots. As for the body, I really only washed the dirt and lichen off, all of the exterior paint stayed on, although there are at least 3 coats of this as well.

There is a reasonable amount of filler in the front wings from what I can see, which is probably why it looks so straight!

All of this paint has protected the vehicle well though, so it will come up well when I sand it back and repaint it.

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2015, 12:44:17 PM »
Hi Mike,

these 3 from 3rd July 2012, I've got some from a couple of years before then, I'll have a look but they maybe at home.

Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2015, 02:45:06 PM »
Terrific, thanks very much Scott,

There was also a rats nest on top of the gearbox, as well as the one on top of the cylinder head.

I'm sure those rats are missing their old home, but they have plenty of other options I guess. ;D

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2015, 10:45:48 PM »

Check this out

scroll down a fare bit and you'll find an FFT set up

http://www.qrz.com/db/VK2BLC

Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2015, 08:39:23 AM »
Yikes!

That is one impressive piece of kit. $125000 U.S. was a lot of money in 1960.

Probably a bit ambitious for my FFT, but if anyone has one lying around, I'm very happy to have a look! :D I'll even pay more than the $70 that they sold for at auction. ;D

At this stage, I'm trying to work out whether to go Larkspur or the later US gear, the tub certainly has a set of holes there for the batteries for Larkspur as well as the outline where the power distribution box brackets were.

Besides, all of the Larkspur harness bits and pieces will be 'fun' to collect......

I have spoken to Tim Vibert, and he has some bits and pieces, but most of them are from the armoured vehicles, and are not totally correct for the Land Rover installation. I currently am selling my CR project and a capstan winch on eBay to help raise some funds, so that should help, some of this radio gear requires a bit of investment.

Anyway, I'll try and get the vehicle running this week, using Tommys patented diesel injection method.

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2015, 09:25:07 PM »
Hi Mike,

I'm sure I won't be the only one watching on with interest. Keep your updates coming and good luck! I'd be happy to keep an eye out for any radio gear that might suit.

Cheers,

Mick

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2015, 06:58:30 AM »
Good onus Mick,

I am definitely looking for some, it's going to be fun collecting all of the bits for this one.

My local Aussie disposals had 2 or 3 of the power distribution panels on their shelves for years, I never bought one then, but now I wish I had.  ::)

It is going to be a great project,  there seems to be a lot more series 3 FFRs around now than the 2A FFTs.

Offline Bluebell One-eight

• THANKS 34
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2016, 06:23:28 PM »
Hi Mike, you might do some serious research on this vehicle's identity before finally deciding what it's ARN was. It is possible that it is 175292 !!! It may have been rebuilt and the details not recorded in the "Blue Book ". I've come across this in tracing International trucks the army had. There are cases where a chassis is recorded as being in two different trucks at once and some that have not been changed but have. In 1971 I was issued with a brand new FFT 177161. There are huge differences between 161 and "211 ", from the photos you have posted. The first is that 161 was a "Leyland "Land Rover, that is it had the headlights in the in the "wings ", and that meant a different brush guard as well. There was also a battery hold down bracket on the floor behind the seat bulkhead. It held 8 batteries about the size of an N70Z. It appears that all the prefix 177 FFTs were supplied under V112092 contract so in theory they should all be of similar build. It could be that the truck you have is a hybrid of several vehicles that happened during rebuild. I'll see if i can find pix of 161 in service. Apologies if the cats been put among the pidgins

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2017, 09:42:30 PM »
Thanks for that Bluebell One Eight,

Anything is possible, but I am fairly sure that it is 177 211. The chassis number matches the nomenclature plate, the only thing out of place is the data plate on the bulkhead, which is a removable part!

It also has all of the late 2A features such as the placards on the seat box, late instruments and switches as well as the late type of vent controls. It also has the ADR plate on the headlight panel.

It is a bit confusing, as it has a replacement engine fitted, as well as a good 25 years of weathering! We have seen some complicated chassis swaps etc. but unfortunately I think it is a 1970 vehicle.

In the last year and a bit, I have been steadily collecting all of the radio bits for the vehicle, I have managed to find a radio table, a lot of the radio kit, and some cables etc. This has taken a lot of research, and it looks like no 2 vehicles were the same!

At this stage I am chasing the frame for the power distribution panel, the battery frames for the tub, and the rails for the table attaching it to the tub. Most of these can be made, but I need to make sure that they are correct! If anyone has any leads, please let me know. :D

I have been chipping away at a few bits and pieces, and recently refurbished the battery blower, when I couldn't stand the rust any more! I was pleased to get it running again, after all these years.

Hoping to get her up and running for Corowa 2018, and looking forward to the weather warming up so that I can do some painting.

Cheers,

Mike.

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2019, 11:06:06 AM »
Well, after a couple of years and a long push through summer, this vehicle is finally back on the road. After 30 years!

As far as I can work out, it was purchased at auction in 1989, driven to Ian's property and that was it until I purchased it in 2016.

It turned out to be really good mechanically, the gearbox was a replacement which still had bits of foam packing stuck to it, the engine (crate engine) looks good after some new core plugs, and the axles came up nicely as well.

I replaced all of the oil seals and gaskets etc, on everything, and so far so good.

It was a bit of a strange one, a lot of the bolts were not original, the seat base was held on with hardware shop stuff, the axle drive flanges were hard ware shop stuff as well, and a lot of the body had non standard bolts holding it together as well. I would like to know the history, it looks like it was put back together at some stage with just anything that was lying around.

The bodywork was the issue, quite a bit of rust in the bulkhead, and about 7 coats of paint on everything. Time consuming, and not my favourite bit!

It is great to finally get it back on the road, not quite finished yet, I need to fabricate a baseboard for the battery trays and finish the wiring for the charging system.

If this thing was a film, the credits would go for a long time, but thanks very much to everyone here who has helped out with parts, advice and support!
Here are a couple of photos, a bit of a contrast I hope to the earlier ones!

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2019, 11:11:19 AM »
A couple more..

Cheers,

Mike.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 11:14:25 AM by mike_k »

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2019, 11:19:58 AM »
Wow Mike, that is thorough. Factory fresh, maybe better. Congratulations. Ready in time for ANZAC Day too.

The battery blower I had never noticed before. It looks like it has the potential to be a noise maker. If the FFT was hidden away on a hilltop doing relay during an Op... what does it do?

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2019, 11:31:47 AM »
Thanks Ross, the aim was to get it to an ‘out of the factory’ look and not over restored.

The blower is there to remove the battery gasses when they were on charge. This is a later FFT, (in fact it was in the last batch of 2As delivered),  so it has 8 wet cell batteries under the radio tray. The blower is fairly quiet, it is the same motor as the 24 volt heater motor on the pommy radio vehicles.

Yes she should make ANZAC day, just missed out on Corowa, not quite ready or registered at that stage!

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2019, 11:46:02 AM »
Who did the canopy? NOS? I noticed the curtain.

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2019, 11:51:40 AM »
Yes, NOS, I bought it years ago in Brisbane, in fact when I recently unpacked it, it still had Ansett bag tags on it...

I was lucky to keep it intact really, over the years it was in danger of being cut down to make a GS one, fortunately I resisted, and that was one of the reasons I bought this vehicle!