Author Topic: leaky power steer box RFSV  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Ford Blitz

• THANKS 15
leaky power steer box RFSV
« on: January 08, 2023, 04:02:20 PM »
My RFSV has decided to leak oil from the power steer box. Does anyone know whether they do seal kits for the beast anywhere? ???

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
Re: leaky power steer box RFSV
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 07:05:50 PM »
Easy Answer - Yes - KLR, first stop.   That's where I got my kit from.  -  and if you don't do any good, I have some seals in the workshop, depending upon what you want.  I also bought a few "Ex army" ""Used"" power steering boxes from the auctions a while ago - so parts are avaiulable if needed.  Drop me a line !

Offline Ford Blitz

• THANKS 15
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 07:19:31 PM »
Thanks I will try and determine exactly where it is leaking as a first step. At the moment its there is a lot of oil over the box so its hard to tell exactly where the problem is. I will come back to you if I need bits if thats ok.

Offline Ford Blitz

• THANKS 15
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 09:38:48 AM »
not so simple as I first thought. A trawl of Dr Google on the issue suggests that new seals might not solve the problem and I should consider replacing the box?? it is also suggested that I add brake fluid to the power steer box and see if that resolves the problem. Any advice would be welcome.
Should I pull the box and redo the seals or just bite the bullet and replace the box??

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 04:40:30 PM »
A good question!  Mechanical devices malfunction for a reason, which I know is an obvious thing to say, however, a leak is fairly straight forwards to fix.  Getting access and being able to do the job is another matter.  If it was me, I would identify where the exactly the leak is coming from.  If a crack in the housing I can help you with another housing complete.  If the leak is from a seal or a gasket, I'd remove the box, strip down the assy and replace the damaged part as appropriate.  There are a few tricks to removing the linkages but they are not that difficult.  If you were local, it would be easier, I could show you what to do, but there are lots of Perente owners in NSW who may be close by and able to give hands on advice.  Dr Google sometimes has "too good to be true" solutions and I'm a bit of sceptic.  Mate, I'd risk manage your way forwards, small leak, - top it up and keep going.  Big leak and/or funny noises in the box when turnng - time for it to come out!  Land rovers are like well bred male hounds, they like marking their territory with oil!
Hope this helps?   I do have a spare used power steering box if that helps - 

Cheers  STDDIVER.

Offline Ford Blitz

• THANKS 15
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 06:36:15 AM »
Thanks
good advice. I will identify where the leak is coming from as a first step and take it from there.