Author Topic: Clutch slave cylinder.  (Read 773 times)

Offline Johno

• THANKS 23
  • REMLR No: 321
Clutch slave cylinder.
« on: February 18, 2023, 09:28:59 AM »
Can anybody advise me about removing and fitting the clutch slave cylinder, it can turn into a disaster. You would think changing the slave cylinder would be a simple no hazards job. However after removing pipe and bolts that hold it on when you remove the cylinder the push rod is likely to come with it. Huge problem because the push rod is only secured to the fork by a small plastic clip, almost impossible to put it back because there is no access to the fork or rod. Has anybody experienced this problem? Could mean removing transmission. Thanks JohnO. Forgot to mention I am talking about a PERENTIE.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 09:47:26 AM by Johno »

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 114
  • REMLR No: 430
Re: Clutch slave cylinder.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 07:52:59 AM »
Quite a common occurrence Johno. The rubber boot on the slave perishes on to the pushrod and sticks to it. Easy enough to get it back on by using a bit of hose or pipe just larger inside than the pushrod. Insert the pushrod plus clip into the hole and line up the clip with the spot it goes on the fork and just push it. It will clip onto the fork. In an extreme case I have used a bit of wire coiled around the pushrod to hold it and used a big screwdriver to push the clip on. It's like keyhole surgery haha.
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS

Offline Johno

• THANKS 23
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 09:56:17 AM »
Thanks Bearman, you certainly are a wealth of knowledge Re Landrover. Encouraging to know that the push rod can be replaced without having to remove or pull back transmission. However I think we have a bigger problem,  can not see the clutch fork despite even inserting a light inside the push rod tunnel. It sure is a mystery because the Perentie was driven into the workshop with a leaking slave cylinder( no trouble with clutch) but we can not see or locate the throw out bearing fork. Can only think that somehow the fork has dropped down ???? Thanks for your info mate much appreciated. JohnO.

Offline Johno

• THANKS 23
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 12:09:18 PM »
Just for your info Bearman, We are part of the Veteran Car Club WA, Military section and have several GS, FFR, RFSV and series Landrovers as well as all types of Militaty vehicles from Tanks to trailers. We have a huge parts shed and great workshop with 2 hoists. I didn’t want you to think I was part of a commercial set up. Once again thanks for your help JohnO.

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 114
  • REMLR No: 430
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 07:52:51 AM »
Cheers Johno, You may have a bigger problem if you can't find the throwout bearing fork. Another problem these vehicles have is that the pivot post that the fork clips onto tends to come loose from the engine idle vibrations. The fork is pretty heavy and eventually the post ( which is just pressed into the bellhousing) comes loose. It is possible when the slave and pushrod was pulled out it has pulled the whole fork and pivot post out of the bellhousing. If this has happened it will be lying on the bottom of the bellhousing and it will be a box out job to fix. There is a procedure to fix it (if the hole is sloppy) and that is to drill and tap the part of the pivot post that sits in the hole and drill a hole from the rear of the bellhousing. The add a bolt to screw into the pivot post, loctited in position. If you need to do this I can give you more detailed information.
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS

Offline BronzeCraft

• THANKS 0
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 10:41:27 PM »
If that push rod's giving you grief, you might end up diving into the transmission mess.