Author Topic: Hello  (Read 3859 times)

Offline Gordie

• THANKS 1
Hello
« on: September 04, 2015, 09:44:43 PM »
Hello, new here, been lurking about on AULRO for a bit...thought I may as well come over to the dark side.

First ever vehicle was a NZ ex army 109 SII, bought from disposal auction at Petone Wellington, in the days of auctions where you actually had to turn up!

Had another SII SWB ute a few years later. Have recently got a lovely 1973 SIII SWB Hardtop, and have recently had a light bulb go off in my head, and said to myself that I would like a Perentie...which 32yrs after the purchase of my first ever vehicle, would take me full circle, back to an ex army Landy!

Have only been researching and watching/bidding at grays over the past few months, and have found this site and AULRO very informative. Just have two questions:

1. It seems that Adelaide only gets a grays auction every now and then? True, or have I struck a dry spell?
2. Am tempted to buy from Melb or Syd, but having seen some 'in the flesh' at Adelaide, in some cases they didn't look as good as they did via the online catalogue. Can't get interstate to inspect, so do members from here have a bit of a look and advise which ones aren't up to scratch?

It's not that I expect to buy something schmicko...I just don't want any nasty surprises when it rolls off the delivery truck at my gate!

Cheers
Gordon

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 114
  • REMLR No: 430
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 10:33:28 PM »
G'day Gordon and welcome. If you can get to inspect the vehicles you will have a better idea of their condition. Some of the photos are misleading, even if you get someone with knowledge of them to inspect you will have a better idea of what you want to bid on...Brian
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS

Offline Gordie

• THANKS 1
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 10:46:54 PM »
Hi Brian, thanks, yes from what I have seen at the Adelaide auction, the photos certainly don't show everything. Would prefer to buy at Adelaide if there are regular auctions here, otherwise will take a punt interstate.

Offline Aussie Jeepster

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 91
  • REMLR No: 012
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 11:11:49 PM »
The last 2 Perenties at Adelaide were average and less than average. The trailers weren't too bad. We seem to be an afterthought for sales here! I flew to Brisbane to get mine and have no regrets about doing it but I did get a great trailer at the last auction here.
No 5 Trailer ARN 177-295
SOLD Engineers Trailer - no id
SOLD RAAF 231194 Perentie 110 GS - SIR ANGUS

Offline Gordie

• THANKS 1
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 11:12:17 PM »
Will see if I can upload little old pic of my first ex NZ army landy......

Offline Gordie

• THANKS 1
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 11:16:35 PM »
Thanks Jeepster, yeah I bidded on the ffr, the gs had a bit of corrosion. I noted that both had been sold in the auction 2months prior. I wasn't prepared to pay as much as they went for, as like you, I thought they were ok to below average. Yes there were a couple of nice trailers here. Might have to do what you did and go interstate, just a problem getting the time etc.

Offline Aussie Jeepster

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 91
  • REMLR No: 012
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 11:22:23 PM »
I flew up, checked out what I wanted and had 2 contenders. Got the one I wanted, then had it transported to Adelaide from Qld for about $450. Up and back in a day to Brissy.
No 5 Trailer ARN 177-295
SOLD Engineers Trailer - no id
SOLD RAAF 231194 Perentie 110 GS - SIR ANGUS

Offline Gordie

• THANKS 1
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 11:24:04 PM »
That's reasonable freight cost. Might be worth popping over to Melb if they have a good selection there.

Offline Gordie

• THANKS 1
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 11:29:35 PM »
As per a post I put on AULRO.....Wondering if anyone in NZ has come across my first ever vehicle, which was a SII 109 ex NZ Army Landrover. Rego was EU344* I can't make out the last figure in the photos I have.....as I had put a bull bar on her and spotlights which obscured it. See above photo.

I went to the army disposal auctions in the 80's with my father, in the old woolstores at Gracefields, Petone. Back then you could go to an auction and get a fair go without people bidding online from all over the country! We hadn't been for a test drive or anything, out of about 6 Landys, she was the cheapest at about $2500k. And she had a brand new pvc canopy, unlike the others with the old canvas ones.

After we bought her, they jump started her and when we tried to move her, she wouldn't go into gear. Luckily for us greenhorns, Dad's mechanic mate was there, and he jumped in, forced her into gear, took off and drove around the yard until there was a loud bang, and the clutch freed up, good as gold after that! Probably why we got her cheap.
 Anyway, kept her for a couple of years, added LPG and a big bull bar. Young fella testosterone set in and I sold her to get a Holden ute. I sold her to a NZ Rail bus driver in Waikanae by the name of Dennis.

not sure where she came from within the army, I wasn't an ex army enthusiast, just wanted a landrover! I was told that she was ex FFR, due to the 24v system, but she didn't have any lockers, didn't seem to have any fittings for radios, and had 3 seats in the front. Also had a normal tailgate like a gs. Had a capstan pto winch on the front.
 Would be interesting to know if the old girl is still around.