Author Topic: 6-282  (Read 4995 times)

Offline accomotorhome

• THANKS 0
6-282
« on: May 01, 2022, 11:53:04 AM »
Hey guys, been lurking this site, finally decided to post and say hi.

Hey.

So i'm looking to purchase an ex military mk3 so i can build a motorhome on the back. I am considering an engine swap, however the 282 runs pretty good for an old girl. just want to ask how reliable these motors are? what are the benefits of a perkins/cummins/diesel/ev/whatever swap? What are the gold diamonds worth? is there a market for them?

is a 2 speed diff an option?

also there is a problem in the airline, and apparently an actuator is needed, is this a common problem?

also do they share many parts from the civillian accos?

is it sacrilegious to heavily modify these or am i better off leaving the truck unmolested as a collectors item?

i know these are alot of questions and may have already been answered, but any help would be muchly appreciated

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
  • REMLR No: 310
Re: 6-282
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 08:07:54 PM »
Many have already been converted to motor homes or even worse.

If you are going to do a conversion, yes, a more modern diesel motor would be an improvement. I would wonder, though, why an Inter and not a Mog?
REMLR # 310, MVCA # 364, 101 Club # 2188, MHG #101
29-417 101 GS, 30-248 101 Rapier Tractor. 30-238 101
34-597 Crump & Cornish 1 ton Cargo Trailer
RT21 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer, 234-671 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 10:37:01 AM »
Hi Accomotorhome - welcome to the site - There was a member in Queensland - who had a pair of AACO diff centres for sale some time ago, these had a ratio that would support a higher highway speed and might be worth following up if you are interested.  Ground clearance is not something you will be short of with the AACO!  Entry and exits are fun.  The centre mounted winch is also a great feature.  I have an F1 with a 6BD diesel in it and with proper sound deadening the vehicle is very good to drive and the performance is impressive.

STDDIVER

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 06:08:54 PM »
Oh, I would mention not many parts are interchangable between the military and civillian versions.
In particular, the brakes.
Brake bits for the military No.1 are particularly hard to source. It's best to get what you have rebuilt if needed.

Offline accomotorhome

• THANKS 0
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 06:27:24 PM »

If you are going to do a conversion, yes, a more modern diesel motor would be an improvement. I would wonder, though, why an Inter and not a Mog?

lol, so you are saying its sacreligous? i like to be different, the inters are alot simpler and a mog is just a little out of my price range. from what ive heard it can be a real gamble with buying the ex army ones. some people have no issues, some more than others. plus there all way too far for me to check them out, im in vic.

Offline accomotorhome

• THANKS 0
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 06:32:19 PM »
Hi Accomotorhome - welcome to the site - There was a member in Queensland - who had a pair of AACO diff centres for sale some time ago, these had a ratio that would support a higher highway speed and might be worth following up if you are interested.  Ground clearance is not something you will be short of with the AACO!  Entry and exits are fun.  The centre mounted winch is also a great feature.  I have an F1 with a 6BD diesel in it and with proper sound deadening the vehicle is very good to drive and the performance is impressive.

STDDIVER

Hey, cheers for the info! I've always wondered, whats the 6x6 like in comparison to a 4x4? also its a pretty goddamn big truck and i know some of the tracks in the bush can get pretty tight, how does it go?

that engine sounds nice, do you have the stock gearbox? custom adapter plate I'm guessing

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 08:32:04 PM »

lol, so you are saying its sacreligous? i like to be different, the inters are alot simpler and a mog is just a little out of my price range. from what ive heard it can be a real gamble with buying the ex army ones. some people have no issues, some more than others. plus there all way too far for me to check them out, im in vic.
Yeah, sacreligious.
Isn't that what I am expected to say?
But, it's your vehicle, you can do what you want with it.

Yes, the Inters are simpler, agricultural. That is their beauty.

So, have you got one, found one or looking?

Offline accomotorhome

• THANKS 0
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2022, 09:41:51 AM »
Well i will take everyones opinions here seriously, i have a restoration background, worked on a few of the most collectable cars in australia. while it is my car and i can do what i want, i have massive respect for car culture. on the otherhand im pretty sure im saving this from the scrap. ive found one, it needs a bit of work but the engine seems pretty healthy. i would of liked to check out the diffs and go for a drive but the brakes are locked on. thinking of spending a day out there with some tools. any tips with that one be greatly appreciated. however the cab is a bit rusty its pretty much going to need a new floor. is 8k a fair price? i feel like im just paying for a good engine and because its a "collectors item"

my next option was a blitz, but i dunno they might be a bit too old. anyone have experience with those? failing that ill import something from japan or just bite the bullet and get a mog.

Offline accomotorhome

• THANKS 0
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2022, 10:12:24 AM »

STDDIVER

Hey, cheers for the info! I've always wondered, whats the 6x6 like in comparison to a 4x4? also its a pretty goddamn big truck and i know some of the tracks in the bush can get pretty tight, how does it go?

that engine sounds nice, do you have the stock gearbox? custom adapter plate I'm guessing

also why did you choose the cummins over perkins?

Offline Lionelgee

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 19
  • REMLR No: 353PY
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2022, 01:55:13 PM »
[/quote]

Hello Acco'...,

I could be wrong - however, my interpretation of a 6BD diesel is that it is an Isuzu 6BD1 or later motor. Please see,  https://diesel-family.com/isuzu-6bd1-diesel-engines/

I have a 1970s civilian - well made for Telecom D - Line International `1210 van that was put under terms of the contract on the chassis and running gear of the four wheel drive 1310. The vehicles were used as "Linesman's vans" and they needed off road capability. I am in the process of fitting a Perkins 6354 diesel into it. The van when I bought it came with a 302 Ford Cleveland motor.  So in a way I am returning the van back to at least an International factory option; even though the choice of a Perkins was limited to the bigger tonnage trucks. There was a Cummins option back then too - also for the bigger trucks.

Kind regards
Lionel
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 02:11:50 PM by Lionelgee »

Offline accomotorhome

• THANKS 0
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2022, 03:00:10 PM »

Hello Acco'...,

I could be wrong - however, my interpretation of a 6BD diesel is that it is an Isuzu 6BD1 or later motor. Please see,  https://diesel-family.com/isuzu-6bd1-diesel-engines/

I have a 1970s civilian - well made for Telecom D - Line International `1210 van that was put under terms of the contract on the chassis and running gear of the four wheel drive 1310. The vehicles were used as "Linesman's vans" and they needed off road capability. I am in the process of fitting a Perkins 6354 diesel into it. The van when I bought it came with a 302 Ford Cleveland motor.  So in a way I am returning the van back to at least an International factory option; even though the choice of a Perkins was limited to the bigger tonnage trucks. There was a Cummins option back then too - also for the bigger trucks.

Kind regards
Lionel
[/quote]

my mistake, im not very fimilar with newer engines lol

damn that would be a cool van, how many did they make?

can you stand up in the back?

how is the perkins swap going for you?

so whats the process of changing from petrol to diesel? other than an adapter plate? (im not a mechanic, i just turn bolts and read service/repair manuals lol)

i'll trade you the 282 for the perkins if you want more originality :p

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2022, 12:57:35 PM »
Hi AACO - Thanks for the reply, Lionel is absolutely correct the 6BD is an Isuzu diesel engine.  The truck, F1 when I bought it was in a very sad state but had the engine already fitted and a nine speed road ranger attached.  Yes to an adaptor plate.  The conversion was done professionally and registered as such   This makes the AACO quite nimble on the road and reasonable fuel economy, (I won't quote figures) is much better than the petrol engine.  I have a M3 and the climbing ability and traction of the F1 compared to the M3 is streets ahead.  Off road,  the F1 has excellent abilities and the low torque of the diesel makes for very good low gear options.  The vehicle is big either way unimog or AACO has about the same width. 
I always try to keep a vehicle as original as possible, however if the F1 had the original engine in it and gear box I would not have changed it.  Since it was already upgraded to the isuzu diesel I felt that keeping the vehicle going and not lost or sold of for parts was the best option available.  Any use is better than no use where possible.     STDDIVER

Offline Lionelgee

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 19
  • REMLR No: 353PY
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2022, 04:00:47 PM »
Hello Accomotor,

Just about any gearbox and motor combination could be fitted to my van due to the orphaned transfer case. Due to study commitments the engine conversion has stalled. Anyway, most the parts I had to get were original parts that International used to fit the Perkins 6354 into their chassis back when they were available as options in their larger capacity trucks. This includes adapters for the fan, motor to flywheel cover, then an original four speed gearbox.  I suppose this is the benefit of taking a 'factory' approach - getting readily available parts and not having to re-invent the wheel.  I will have to include a return line to each diesel tank. Plus - fit some form of pre-heater switch for the fuel system. I am not sure whether the International's had a turn the ignition key to left to engage the pre-heater like the Series Land Rovers had. Or if the Internationals came with a press-button switch.

I had to remove the Ford conversion's cross member for the engine mounts. Luckily for me it was bolted onto the chassis and not welded on. I might have to track down an original main tail shaft to connect the rear differential? I have not had the Perkins motor and International gearbox in yet to see whether the current tail shaft fits. It is going to be interesting to see what all the gearing ratios are like along the power train and what comes out at the wheels and subsequent road speeds! The Ford motor came with a Ford automatic gearbox. There is a Dana 90 - yes I did check the markings - fitted to the rear of the van. I am not sure whether this was a Telecom contract item or the input of a previous owner?

Most of the restoration time will be spent on rust removal and fixing all the stress cracks in the fibreglass cargo area. The fibreglass starts at the top of the front windscreen and the B pillar the back of the driver and passenger doors latch onto. The 'nose' of the van is factory metalwork. So there is lots of rusty metal and lots of stress cracked fibreglass - lots and lots and ...

The height from floor to ceiling in the cargo area is 1360 mm. Width 1620 mm.

Kind regards
Lionel
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 04:22:13 PM by Lionelgee »

Offline john.k

• THANKS 29
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2022, 12:39:52 PM »
Ive done a lot of Perkins conversions of all kinds of Inters...........and my warning is "beware of smoke"......someone will rat you out ,you will get a smoke notice,and a couple of notices ,you have to get a dyno test.....which costs much dollars........................sooo....doing a conversion,be very sure you fit a smoke free diesel......this does not include 1970s Perkins........maybe a 1980s series 4 turbo might be OK.....

Offline accomotorhome

• THANKS 0
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2022, 11:56:58 PM »
wich gearbox is better the stock one or butterbox??