Author Topic: Replica TAC plates  (Read 41393 times)

Offline bronzie66610

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 20
  • REMLR No: 373
Re: Replica TAC plates
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 10:31:44 PM »
Daryl
Member of my family was at Simpson Barracks, will interrogate him if he has a Tac laying around (confidential etc)
1 Series 2a (Civ)
1966 S2A GS ARN 113-990
1964 S2A GS ARN 112-951
1964 S2A GS ARN 112-915

Offline Magellan

• THANKS 36
  • REMLR No: 383
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 11:24:15 PM »
Hey Daryl what unit are you trying to replicate you mention the School of Sigs at simpson barracks they would have had a Training command tac plate  AGAS may be able to say what the unit tac looks like :)

Hey Booger. There's four units I know that my brother-in-law served in:- Balcombe School of Sigs; 208 Sig Sqn of 28 Commonwealth Brigade Malaya; P.I.R Wewak in the '70's and lastly Simpson Barracks. I'd like to replicate the 28 Brigade plates, the links are below-

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/lrman/media/RedRoyalBlu-1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
http://s5.photobucket.com/user/lrman/media/28_comwel_flash_1_small.jpg.html?sort=3&o=12

Many thanks to all who have offered assistance, I've been in Tassie a wee while and just got back.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:30:58 PM by Dusty Oval »
Series III FFR 30-128
No.5 trailer 101-026 (with 100 gal water bladder)

Offline Magellan

• THANKS 36
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 11:35:50 PM »
And the RA Sigs school Tac sign would have been red 941 on a white/blue background. 9 signifying "school" and 41 for Sigs.
As for changing the Gunbuggy Tac sign, the bar that is in place to retain the ammunition is only fixed at on end and easily unclips and swings out of the way - especially handy when one wishes to access the ammo to reload. ;)
Regards
Glen

Is the '41' specific to a squadron or just a generic for Sigs? I've seen 'School' plates before with the '9' preceding two numbers and t'other plate being the Field Force plate

cheers, Daryl
Series III FFR 30-128

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 148
  • REMLR No: 282
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 01:27:24 AM »
Glen(zd) is much more up to date with that time period but 941 is specific to RA sig school
Actually I think it was called RA school of signals now called ADF school of signals
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:30:32 AM by THE BOOGER »
s111 GS, no 5, xt600 & Ferret mk2
Geoff C

Offline Magellan

• THANKS 36
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 08:53:36 PM »
Cheers, yer right it was 'School of Sigs'.
Series III FFR 30-128

Offline Magellan

• THANKS 36
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 11:15:22 AM »
Hello again chaps. Further to this topic, in relation to the Field Force TAC plate, green background, from the '70s onwards was there a crown above the kangaroo and crossed swords? I've spoken to my brother-in-law who was at Simpson Barracks then and he doesn't remember a crown, just the crossed swords and kangaroo.

cheers, Daryl
Series III FFR 30-128

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 148
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 11:22:41 AM »
Depending on when in the 70,s you if you mean the 1 div tac sign green with gold crossed swords and kangaroo then no crown some of the ares units or 2 div kept the crown for a while but that is a red tac. There was no field force tac as such ;)
Geoff C

Offline Diana Alan

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 108
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 06:27:26 PM »
Wasn't the red tac with swords, kangaroo and crown actually Field Force Command, the emphasis being on the command or HQ.  Other units in the divisions were the kangaroo over crossed swords with the roman numeral for which one over the red background for CMF/Army Reserve and green background for Regular Army units.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:02:24 PM by Diana Alan »
REMLR 240.
Perentie FFR 50-422, SIII FFR 30-146, SIIA GunBuggy 112-726, Mk3 Inter 170-437, ex-SADF SIIB/SIII Radio Relay,
Army Trailers: No5 x 2, W/S x 2, PT1-1.2, Horndraulic ATR dog trailer.
Civilian: MY85 RRc HiLine 4.6, MY51 ex-RACQ 80", MY91 Defender/Reynolds Boughton 6x6, MY12 D4 SDV6

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 148
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 07:15:23 PM »
from about 79 onwards all reg units used either trg comd or 1 div tac plates I did not see any using the red tac between 79 and 87 when I left, some reserve units were a bit slower to change.
Geoff C

Offline Diana Alan

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 108
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 08:59:32 PM »
Sorry I thought the CMF tac had the kangaroo, but its the rising sun badge of the Australian Army.
REMLR 240.
Perentie FFR 50-422, SIII FFR 30-146, SIIA GunBuggy 112-726, Mk3 Inter 170-437, ex-SADF SIIB/SIII Radio Relay,
Civilian: MY85 RRc HiLine 4.6, MY51 ex-RACQ 80", MY91 Defender/Reynolds Boughton 6x6, MY12 D4 SDV6

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 03:14:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

The red skippy with crown and crossed swords is the "Field Force " command tac plate. Training command is the the kangaroo, crown and crossed swords with green , yellow, green hoops( stripes) background and Logistic's Command was the Kangaroo , crown, crossed swords with red, blue ,red hoops background.

The kangaroo and crossed swords with the number 1 in gold on a green background was the 1st Division formation sign and was made up of the 1st Brigade in Sydney, 6th Brigade in Brisbane, and the 3rd Brigade in Townsville .

So a vehicle from 8/9 RAR would have a tac sign 62/63 on a red background and the 1st Div Formation sign. A 1RAR vehicle would have a tac plate 55 on a red background and a 1st Div formation plate.  I hope that helps?
I think training command units ( Training schools) had their corpses colour as a background and a three digit number I think?

Hope that helps

Mick

Offline Diana Alan

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 108
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 03:57:43 PM »
Thanks Mick

I'll post up the other tac/formation signs you mention tonight.

Many of the specialty training schools/units have a black tac, but yes corps schools have the corps colour/s.

As a kid, I remember many of the vehicles from the local Randwick Barracks, had the light blue background with the red waratah (NSW State flower/symbol).  When would this have been used instead of the various crossed swords etc?

What was the tac of 5RAR in SVN?

Diana
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 04:02:33 PM by Diana Alan »
REMLR 240.

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 04:48:18 PM »
Hi Diana ,

The tac plate with the blue vbackground would have been a vehicle from the 2nd Military District (2MD) . The military districts boundaries were basically state boundaries give or take and wee responsible for administration within the district. Managing buildings, liaison with government, etc.

1MD = Queensland, 2MD = NSW, 3MD = Victoria , 4MD = SA , 5MD = WA, 6MD = Tasmania, 7MD = Northern Territory.

5 RAR's tac plate in Vietnam would have been 59 ( white numeral on red background)

Units such as Royal Military College Duntroon did not fall under any Comd and answered directly to Army Head Quarters and had the own tac plates. Can't remember them off the top of my head.

Some transport units like 26 Tpt Sqn and 18 Tpt Sqn were field force but not part of the 1st Division . Their tac was a blue plate with a red sash and white numerals 510. Their formation was 1 Logistic Support Group ( 1LSG) a red plate with a white circle with a black horse head. ( something like that) :-)

Cheers.

Offline Diana Alan

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 108
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 10:53:10 PM »
signs as promised.
REMLR 240.

Offline zulu delta 534

• THANKS 99
  • REMLR No: 226
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 11:18:07 AM »
In the days of the Waratah type Tac sign, the country's military areas were known as Commands, and the country was divided into separate Commands basically by states. Therefore travelling counter-clockwise the areas were:
Qld being Northern ( Crown superimposed on Queen Victoria's Cross on a white or khaki background.), now 1st Mil District
NSW being Eastern (Red Waratah on a blue background),                                                                        now 2nd Mil District
Vic being Southern(Crown sitting atop a shield containing the Southern Cross on grey background),      now 3rd Mil District
SA being Central ( Magpie in a yellow circle on a brown background),                                                       now 4th Mil District
WA being Western (Black swan on a yellow background)                                                                          now 5th Mil District
Tas. being Tasmanian (Red rampant lion in gold shield on khaki background) ,                                         now 6th Mil District
NT being Northern Territory  (a buffalo head in a yellow circle on a green background.)                            now 7th Mil District

Army Headquarters was the group that controlled the lot of these "commands" and was depicted by a Lion atop the crown shown on a red over blue shield on a yellow or khaki background. Army Headquarters looked after things that affected the Army as a whole rather than as a State entity, such as Recruit training, OCS, Duntroon and the likes of such.

These Tac signs would have been common on all Austin Champs, Series 2s and early S2as in service, the system changing about the time of the intro of S3s, whilst they were serving here in Australia.

When a force was deployed overseas, such as the BCOF & ANZUK forces or SVN, then a separate "Command" area was set up and the appropriate Tac signs designed to cover that force. The actual design of these signs was set up here in Australia but the production of same was usually a local unit effort copied from drawings from SOVOS of the day, hence there are certain variations from the original design. (In actual fact the AFV Kangaroo or Skippy sign as we know it, originally had two red lines depicting a shield on a yellow background, designed to replicate the South Vietnamese flag to a certain degree, with the Kangaroo enclosed in that shield. I must add, I have never seen one done that way but that was the original design laid out!)

The 1 Div sign was Skippy on crossed swords on a green background. This sign replaced the white "1" in a black pentagon on a red background in the mid/late 60's. Some units carried the old pentropic sign over to SVN even though, on paper, it had been superseded prior to this.

The crown over the skippy and crossed swords on a red background, was as stated earlier Land Force Command, and this was replaced in about 1987 or so with the "skippy on crossed swords on a green background".
I seem to remember something about "crossed swords" representing the ARA and "crossed bayonets" representing the CMF, whereas "crossed torches" represented the Cadets, but that is a bit far back in my memory now.

Mick, I think that the modern logistical Transport Units such as 26 use the whole horse (Clydesdale?) on their signs rather than just the Horse's head. The Horse head was representative of a specific unit, that being 1 ALSG.
Actually 26 Tpt Sqn (510) comes under 9 FSB which is represented by 9 over 511. They do have their own Platoon markings on the doors though in the form of a "camel" or a "roadrunner" emblem.

The important thing about all this above guff, is the 'time frames' of these signs. It is very easy to make an inadvertent  blunder in putting the wrong era signs on the wrong era vehicle. (A bit like putting a Land Rover in a WWll movie.) This possibly doesn't mean much at all to the general public, but if you wish to use the vehicle on Anzac Day, that is when you will possibly find the people who will pick it up.

Regards
Glen