Author Topic: Is there a place here for modified ex army Land Rovers?  (Read 47711 times)

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 165
Re: Is there a place here for modified ex army Land Rovers?
« Reply #210 on: August 31, 2020, 06:35:23 PM »

Thats right, just like eating an elephant.

One mouthful at a time :)

Cheers,

Mick

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
  • REMLR No: 339
« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2020, 07:29:09 AM »
Just a quick update.

The focus has now shifted to my spinal cord, or more correctly, the L4/5 L5/S1 area of my spine.

Back in  1994 I fell off a truck in Sydney and shattered all of the calcaneal beaks off my right foot. It was a very nasty injury. The knee was damaged along with the spine.

The spinal damage led to me becoming paraplegic and as I was being prepped for surgery they determined that they could reduce the swelling by floating me in a swimming pool for a few weeks/months.

Thatís what they did, pick me up from the hospital I was in, take me by ambulance to another hospital nearby and put a life jacket on me, winch me up and lower me into the heated pool. Theyíd drop me there after breakfast, then pick me up and take me back to my hospital for lunch then drop me off again after lunch and come pick me up in the afternoon. I canít remember if this happened on weekends or just through the week, it was all quite a blur. They had me on some pretty heavy drugs.

Roll forward to now and it appears a few things are going on with my health.

The most problematic is the pain in the feet and ankle and knee, burning like dipped in hot oil, simply excruciating.

I often start shaking in shock at the pain.

Well guess what?

Itís starting to look like the spinal cord injury is raising its ugly head.

Itís early days yet but starting today Iím on a severe diet in order to shed some weight as it appears to me that this nonsense with the excruciating pain only started after I gained all the weight.

They can sort out the other medical issues in their own time, but for now, I have to get cracking on losing the weight because I certainly donít want to become paraplegic again.

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #212 on: October 03, 2020, 11:07:48 PM »
Hi everyone,

I trust youíre all fit and well.

Just a quick update for anyone curious about the health issues.

It appears Iím diabetic though the test results donít support it.

The treatment for diabetes is kicking in and Iím more than pleased to report that the pain and chronic symptoms are abating.

The past week has been great and while the pain has been just there, still a heartbeat away from manifesting, Iíve been lucky enough to not have it raise its ugly head.

Phew, so while itís early days still, just going a full week without mind blowing pain is reason for me to feel beyond happy.

Letís see how the coming weeks go.

Yeah, pretty happy right now.

Finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 60
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #213 on: October 06, 2020, 04:56:42 PM »
Great to hear!   Terrific news - Looking forwards to seeing the improvements continue.   It will be great to get behind the wheel or have something that shoots in your hand very soon too!  Great steps  --- ---

Looking forwards to lots more posts - Thanks mate, for sharing

Frank

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #214 on: October 06, 2020, 09:02:14 PM »
Thanks Frank, I appreciate it.

Still early days but Iím bouncing along without any issues at the moment.

I want to use the 109 but a few weeks ago I inadvertently boxed it in at work by pulling an ex army tri axle tautliner apart for a complete suspension and brake rebuild and upon disassembly it was found to be fairly rooted.
It was sourced from the auctions and came direct from the army.
I have never seen such a flogged out piece of crap in all my days.
Canít believe the army let it go so bad.
Iíve attached an image of one of the bolts which secures the z spring to the chassis. One more bump and it probably would have snapped and spat the axle out the side.

Itís going to take weeks to repair everything thatís wrong with it.

Still, making progress with it now that Iím feeling better.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 05:57:20 AM by navigation »

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #215 on: October 07, 2020, 05:53:42 AM »
I still canít believe how close this trailer came to having a critical moment.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 05:56:04 AM by navigation »

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 60
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #216 on: October 07, 2020, 07:38:01 PM »
 This shows quality and the right reasons to check things out properly!  This shows that buying at the auctions is a real leap of faith!  (And a good reminder too!)

Cheers Bro

Frank

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #217 on: October 07, 2020, 09:16:02 PM »
That bolt was the very first thing I found, hence the images, for I wanted to show my employer what the very first thing I touched alluded to.

After that I tore the entire suspension system out, axle by axle, after lifting the whole trailer off the ground and suspending it on suitable supports.

Just about every component was shagged.

One brake assembly had collapsed entirely and took a bit of work to get the drum off.

It needs new shims throughout the suspension.

It had no bushes whatsoever on a couple of axles.

The shocks are pretty much all cactus.

Anyways, the plan is to replace everything that canít be refurbished and then when it finally hits the road itíll be awesome and give a few years good service before needing anything.

Do it once and do it thoroughly I always say, and that way there shouldnít be any surprises.

Thereís nothing wrong with buying any item with the view to rebuilding it, thatís just the way small operations have to do it, but goodness me, you donít buy anything sight unseen, as this was.

You send the monkey whoís going to be stooged into doing the rebuild along to inspect it before you buy it, that way the monkey can carry on and bleat and moan if itís going to be too big a job.

Doesnít really matter in the grand scheme of things because this monkey has a squeek and a sook then just shrugs it off and starts hooking in a bit at a time till it all gets done.

Itíll take time but thereís no great rush.

Itís already coming up nice.

Iím absolutely buggered if I know why the curtains are positively black and the only thing I can think of that might explain that element is theyíre either coated in carbon black or the trailer has done lots of trips by rail behind a diesel locomotive.

I did find a chemical called ďM-60Ē which is reacting with the tenacious black soot or whatever it is and is slowly eating through it but itís hard yakka all the way.

I think I might claim this Tautliner for my own use once itís done.

Itíll sit nice behind the Stralis I inherited when we purchased an Argosy and 45 ft flat top the other week.

Repairing trucks and trailers keeps me entertained.

Went to another doctor today and heís blown away and how much Iíve improved over the last 2 weeks.

Iím hoping I keep improving and get back in shape.

Baby steps...