Author Topic: Carzee's shed  (Read 83622 times)

Wash00

Re: Carzee's place
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 06:33:01 PM »
I was going to say that doesn't look like Carzee's carport (or what I imagined it to look like) it looks like Hilton's place but as I read further posts the story came out!

Thanks for the pics.

Diana

And I was up at Hilton's over Xmas and he didn't even show me it.  Did put an order in for a Stop/Parking/Numberplate light and holder with Justin just before he left.

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
  • REMLR No: 70
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 05:17:57 PM »
Ross this is how I overcame the issue with the double row Ck/pulley, it was fitted with a Speedi-Sleeve, I couldn't work out how to email them, so here they are

that image shows the sleeve, but the tool to apply is too short in this case, I got around it by using an old distance piece off a stub axle, + my Land Rover (LOL) special tool

this image shows it in position on the pulley

this image shows it installed etc

hope thats of some help, cheers Dennis

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 05:38:50 PM »
Ross, here is your Tex-Magna-lite, it has been grit blasted & etch primed

here's an image all back together, just needs a top coat

cost $NIX cheers mate Dennis ;)

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 07:53:53 PM »
Wow, thanks Dennis. Fantastic stuff. It'll come up like new. Can't wait to try some painting.

I have the weekend off so I'm planning to visit in the Ford, the Lil' Dog. I am going to visit Cookey and Hilton's too (if everything falls in place).

Today I checked out Maya's brake line 5 way point and the installed pressure switch (looks like a NOS made in england one), loom wire sources and the chassis side engine mounts - for a moment I thought they had been modded to suit the GMH lumps. But they are original, good/lucky.
Everyday a little bit at a time, thats the SOP.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:24:56 AM by Carzee »

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 03:50:48 PM »
Rocking right along (with 60's background music) I was thinking early this morning like 0430hrs, what have you got n what haven't you got for your project, so I got into my supply of 2BA stuff, worked out what was needed for the dash, I came up with the correct amount n type of 2BA pan head screws, washers/spring washers & hex nuts, + large self threading screw that holds the map light panel and two for the BWD plate.

I ran a 2BA tap/die over the threads, I like things to do up with my fingers, not be a battle to do them up, then ran up the compressor and grit blasted them all,

any burrs on the heads were dressed/filed. I have a tin of 'Yellow Burst' that I have always painted my BWD's with, but it didn't want to work, but with a little heat etc it is now working

later I will flip it over and double coat the front, and stencil it with a 3" high No3, cheers Dennis

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2013, 04:19:57 PM »
And a short time later, I flipped over (very carefully) the BWD placed it on the plastic lid of the spray can then sprayed the front, at this stage it has only 1 coat of yellow

the washers that fit under the wing, were given a coat of flat black, this side of the washer will fit against the aluminium, having them painted helps stop electrolysis

it does look like a small monkey face LOL, next the 2 x 2BA pan head screws got their first coat of yellow

maybe later I can give them all another coat of Yellow, with the heat we are having it could be possible, cheers Dennis

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 05:38:29 PM »
 :) Dennis you are amazing!! Hard to put this into words on a post, thank you thank you very much. The BWC up front will look really great. I remember the early troubles painting the BWCs about 98/99 and keeping it looking good. Your paint has stayed looking good, while the stuff I tried went powdery and some rust came thru. The BWC metal is so different to other bodywork metal. Thx also for the fixings: I can see those screws n nuts (for the dash) and I know I'm missing those. Fantastic that you found some.

Red letter day so far. Go selected for a Cert IV TAFE course, paid the hours too, one of only 12 spots. Came home and saw some packages: Stoplights and a pair of tailgate hangers arrived from Justin. Tac brackets arrived from Tasmania (the big tinny apparently runs to Tazzy fairly regular nowadays). took 2 days. Pretty fast.

I hope its not a rainy weekend coming up.  :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 04:21:32 PM by Carzee »

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
  • REMLR No: 339
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 08:32:42 PM »
I enjoyed looking through your shed. It brought back memories of my rebuild.

Oddly enough, it also gave me a bit of a shudder.  ;D

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 10:55:08 PM »
Thx Navvy, here's the BWC yellow disc on Castrol, a rebuild using a hot galvanised firewall I did years back. The years ago bit gave me a shudder too.

Also, that pic reminds me --I have got a pair of brand new Lucas sealed beams from John (drifter).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 03:07:36 PM by Carzee »

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2013, 08:30:32 AM »
Ross, we can't drive in that location now, as it's a golf course??!! LOL true. Anyway I had to make something for the good wife, she has Bonsai plants, and her small watering can was rolling all small rocks off her trees, so I got a small funnel, cut a coke can base down drilled heaps of holes, yah it works

I learnt a long time ago, do the little jobs asap n get back into the more important ones LOL
Here is the BWD with it's mask in place and sprayed 'flat black'

about 10 minutes later I removed the mask to reveal it

it pays not to leave the mask on the surface for too long as the adhesive on the mask could bleed into the paint, with disasterous results, been there done that.
I was pleasantly surprised as I had these masks made way back in 1999 ;D, anyway off to mow etc cheers Dennis
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:39:38 AM by DennisM »

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2013, 04:09:50 PM »
Just helping Ross along here, I don't know what he has or doesn't have with his 109, so I bit the bullet and did a few more things today. Tub fittings usually go walkabout or get damaged in some way, so a quick look through my stock of bits and I came up with the goods, 2BA tap n die run over the threads, everything needed grit blasting so thats what it got

the inside of my filthy cabinet, some little time later they had been etch primed

Again my mind switched to what has he got???, so I found 8 of the speed bolts etc that hold the wings to the bulkhead, a quick hit on the wire wheel to remove the crap, then into the grit blasting cabinet, ?? somewhere along the line I lost one whole nut n bolt assembly??, I'm not sure if it fell through the mesh in the grit blasting cabinet, I did have a feel for it, but no luck, so who know's where it ended up

so Ross may need to find one if he doesn't have them.
I remember seeing a image of his 109 and it appeared to be missing wheel nuts, so I found 13 of them, set them up and ran the 9/16"BSF tap through them

a little while later they had all been done and cleaned on the wire wheel

it's pouring rain here ATM, Ross rang a while ago, he is coming here Sunday morning to pick up a multitude of items, anyway cheers Dennis

Offline Minikeg

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 77
  • REMLR No: 316
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2013, 05:43:48 PM »
love it!
I'm not completely useless.. I'm missing some of the pieces
110-415 'Agro' 1959 88" CR              111-676 'Pickles II' 1959 88" CR
114-270 'Maya' 1967 109" GS/WS      113-368 'Castrol' 1964 88" GS
48-975 'Reptar' 1988 110" FFR           48-932 'Widget' 1988 110" GS

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2013, 09:36:53 AM »
Bagged n tagged these items this morning

as for any one starting a restoration on a Series Land Rover, there is a bewildering array of nuts n bolts/screws/rivets etc etc, anyway to give Ross a head start I bagged n tagged them, he will be OK as long as he remembers where he puts them LOL.
On one of the tags, I wrote he was missing a electrical earth point (earth off the steering shaft cover, inside engine bay), well I looked hi n lo for one, I couldn't find one so I made one from a broken switch

about 5 drill sizes later (number drills) I had it at a clearance size for 2BA, I did expect it to snap off or twist off in the drill, anyway Ross has rang and will be here in a few hours, cheers Dennis
ps hope he has a big trailer,,.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 12:28:53 PM »
 :) :D ;D :) :D ;D

Well didn't we have a good day the day we went to Cookey's, Hilton's and Dennis'. Filled the car and trailer up. Its now unloaded and sorted, except the engine.

Where to start with all the thanks! We were really on the receiving end of the wonderful REMLR fraternity and the helping hands of experts.

First off Cookey put us up Friday night so we could get going early Saturday to see his collection after brekky etc. And what a collection of stories and info too. Wow. Also, Cookey has a fantastic bit of kit in his front brake mod; a world class mod in my opinion. I had a go in the Series 3 FFR that has the discs up front and I'm sold on it. Absolutely pro job there. Cookey mentioned he may take it to Corowa, stay tuned on that.

At Cookey's we found some treasures and an especially big thanks to Cookey for helping us with a 2A GS rear tub etc etc etc. The Acco GS is very impressive and brought back memories. On the way to Cookey's Collection we took a drive thru the old Ingleburn camp and Moorebank environs. I can't wait to get back up there in a few weekends and start the work for the tub and bits like fuel tanks. I could spend a week there easily -- and just live on BBQ bunnies.

At Hilton's up the Colo we met up with the trailer and family from Newie and we loaded up the engine and other bits of Maya. I have the trailer now, Castrol's first trailer, a normal looking tariler built on falcon wheels. It was up in Newie for the last decade and well taken care of. Lucky it was a gal trailer! It does need some wiring repairs...

Again, no rain at Hiltons, luckily. So different to the visit a month back. It took a while to load the trailer. The 2.25 engine looks great. Incidentally we quickly checked (using the REMLR lists on a mobile phone) that its not the original one. The ARN lists must help many members in many ways. Best thing we ever got going, for sure. Hilton has a lot of gear for sale and he is very helpful. Be seeing him again soon. Thanks Hilton..

We got going about 3pm and went up the Putty road and thru the vineyards to Mum and Pete's for a Saturday evening dinner and sleepover. It Was A Very Good Day.

Sunday morning we went to Scott's in Shortland to look over his recent work on his Series III SWB. The battery was flat, oh well. Still there was no rain, we definitely picked a great weekend for this trip.

After that we headed on over to Dennis' Depot in Cessnock and loaded up a lot of great bits - thanks a lot Dennis for all the goodies, like Santa as I said. Got some tech lessons on know how with machinery and caught up on the Landy in The Rubic Cube and checked the LRPV etc that I hadn't ever clapped eyes on. Its fantastic.

At Dennis' we got the BWD, the Tex Magna-Lite, the wheel nuts, the Protec paint, the dash fastners, the hand throttle, the gearstick, the special captive bits for the side of the radiator panel and under the back of the mudguards, so much other stuff I can't think of. All of them are as new ready for paint and fitting. ...and mustn't forget the lunch too, taa Dianne.

I owe Dennis many favours, hell, I owe Cookey and John and Richard and ...a lot of people a lot of favours and we're only 6 weeks into our time as REMLR retreads. :)

ps; driving home on the M7 we had a long chat with someone in Adelaide about a Guitar Amp I'm selling. All my ducks definitely got in a row this weekend for sure. :)

Still smiling as I type this...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:17:09 PM by Carzee »

Offline cookey

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 57
  • ex-crafty
  • REMLR No: 356
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 06:33:59 PM »
Hi Ross,
glad that you made it home ok, I guess lil' dog made it without any problems. Did you have much weight in the trailer?  I worry about trailers when they have been sitting for ages----tyres, wheel bearings, etc.  See lots of them beside the road in all sorts of trouble.

I'm off to Tweed, Lismore, Kyogle tonight.  Hope the roads are all open :-\

Your company was a pleasure on the weekend, look forward to seeing you again soon....... ;)

Cookey

lost count