Author Topic: Carzee's shed  (Read 83022 times)

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
Re: Carzee's shed
« Reply #195 on: December 18, 2017, 05:39:30 PM »
Its been two weeks since the last update.

This week summer showed up. Its been 32, 33, 35 etc. Overnight heavy rain, 10 minute gales, then hot and humid, then the storm clouds come back etc.

Last Friday I could hear a March Out at Duntroon. I think it finished an hour or so before some rain set in. I trust they all do well. There was a single aircraft flyover, and it went over my patch again as it did a turn but I was so busy I didn't even look up.

The snowpeas are out. I picked the last few peas and then carefully removed them and the trellis to enable a redo of that bit with tomatoes and sunflowers. There are lots of tomato plants because the greenhouse team didn't sellout and its now too hot in there so all the seedlings came out and are sitting in the shade of the pear tree.

The corn is getting taller and is mostly above knee height. It looks good.

The driplines were covered in mulch, especially where the drips are.

This afternoon I finished installing about 33m of shadecloth above my patch - the pickets are finally being used as intended. So if there is a storm and some hail tonight the patch has some protection.

After the Open Day two new members have grabbed a patch each and they are starting their vegie beds etc: its hard yakka and hot for them. I am very glad my work was done in the cooler months. All the plots are now busy on the weekends and the place is in full production mode.

Last Sunday there was a Christmas get together but I missed it due to work. I did help a bit. I decorated the pear tree with red baubles. It looked magic. Near there, in the social area, is the Mulberry tree and its great for a snack at the moment. Top place to be lately, despite the weather.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:19:36 PM by Carzee »

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #196 on: January 06, 2018, 09:48:27 PM »
Hot today, nudged 38deg. Went out to the plot early and got the dripper working early.

On the post for 3rd December the corn was 300m high.

I can say that by 3rd January the corn was as high as the shadecloth which is as high as the tops of the star pickets -about 1900mm.

The other plots have corn, some older by 2 weeks, with the same or similar compost added to the topsoil.... but without dripper hoselines -and its not nearly as high as my corn.

Conclusion - either the dripper hoselines work very well or the shadecloth has some effect unknown.

This afternoon we used the trailer to get some wooden crates over to the plot. I may try to do some raised vegie beds.

Last photo shows the latest upgrade - installed Raybrig H4 headlights (gift from Wayne who installed Trucklite LEDs). I like them. They have a lot of facets, like jewels and they remind me of the headlights in the Dinki cars I owned half a century ago.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #197 on: January 06, 2018, 09:50:23 PM »
Raybrigs headlights went in. I like the appearance of these and the price was right (used from a friend).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 05:09:28 PM by Carzee »

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #198 on: May 24, 2018, 05:27:12 PM »
Update time. Months have gone quickly.

1. Vegies. Over summer the tomato varietys went very big and the weight actually broke the silly cheap stakes I had used. We had a lot of tomato, and some unusual ones that tasted different but good.

The last tommys were picked in the middle of May. A week later we had a small frost, so winter is certainly here. The other vege plots are now taken up and preparing for spring planting. I have to catch up in that task. I should've planted some snow peas already..

2. Dog. In the middle of this month we got a Kelpie pup from Numeralla, on the "Monairo" near Cooma. Its been 18 or 19 years since our last dog. Everyone thinks she is cute and cuddly but its been a few bad nights with feeds as the pup came to us early at 6 weeks not 8. The whole litter went early due to the mother's behaviours.

3. LRCV. Besides a few drives to AFM at Minto the LRCV has been to the Corowa Swim-In and the LR 70th Celebrations at Cooma. Last weekend I had a quick visit to Tea Gardens area once again for family reasons. So I have changed the oil and serviced the usual items.

This week we ordered rock sliders from https://www.kingpindesignandfab.com . Wayne got a set of "slims" last year and we have ordered the new "ultra-slim" sliders. We intend to paint them in matching protec colours before we fit them. Shipping is expensive as they are 4mm thick. I will photograph the fitting etc when they arrive.

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #199 on: May 24, 2018, 06:16:09 PM »
Cute puppy Ross - what channels does she receive?    Frank 

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #200 on: May 24, 2018, 06:55:30 PM »
No RX just TX: its a 24hr love song channel. Loves everyone, especially anything resembling a mother dog... or food. Positively hates the breadmaker machine in the kitchen. Dishwasher and other gear is ok, but that breadmaker makes her whimper and tremble. Loves her toys though. ACT rego/tax for a dog for "lifetime" is $54. The microchip is $60.50 The first vacc and worming was $100. Oh well...

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #201 on: May 24, 2018, 07:22:52 PM »
All this and an alarm clock!  I really like the ACT system for dog registration, Vic its every year and it adds up - Microchip is a great idea, should be in some humans too!  (Good reply Ross)

Offline DetV

• THANKS 15
« Reply #202 on: May 26, 2018, 08:42:07 PM »
Ross, I expect that the sliders might provide some protection of the sills, but what about the fuel tank on the driver side? Have you done any reinforcing there?
FFR MC2 "Spence" 51-490 , Haulmark 3/4ton 204973
civvy: 98 Prado, 7x4 gal trailer, FRJ1300, MX-5
de VK2KVP

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #203 on: May 27, 2018, 11:39:31 AM »
No I haven't thought about the tank. Some members have repaired or strengthened the tank mount that is prone to cracks. I think mine has been done already in service. Have to check, that was a couple of years back. As for a tank bash plate or something... no idea. Have you fitted some protector?

Offline DetV

• THANKS 15
« Reply #204 on: May 28, 2018, 10:46:12 AM »
I'm looking for advice on how I might protect the fuel tank. It's certainly the most vulnerable part of the body on the drivers side and likely to ding before the sills.
FFR MC2 "Spence" 51-490 , Haulmark 3/4ton 204973
civvy: 98 Prado, 7x4 gal trailer, FRJ1300, MX-5
de VK2KVP