Author Topic: Keep blowing fuses.  (Read 123 times)

Offline Acorn

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 59
  • THANKS 3
  • Perentie GS w/Winch 50-034
  • Location: Melbourne
Keep blowing fuses.
« on: May 05, 2021, 10:41:45 AM »
Hi all,

Yesterday I lost the use of my temp, fuel and volts gauges on the dashboard and wind screen wipers on my Perentie  110 GS.

I found that the blade fuse in the fuse box was a 10amp.  The fuse box cover indicates it should be a 12.5 amp fuse.

I swapped the fuse for another 10amp fuse and turned the ignition.  It popped straight away.  Not having a 12.5amp fuse, I tried a 15 amp fuse.  Same thing, it blew too.

Iím no auto electrician.  Can anyone share with me a few hints to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Acorn






Offline dugite

  • REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • ***
  • Posts: 1080
  • THANKS 102
  • Location: Tamworth
  • REMLR No: 374
Re: Keep blowing fuses.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 04:19:48 PM »
Short circuit, maybe/possibly due to insulation chafing where the relevant electrical lines are routed through the bulkhead.

It would help if you let us know if the wiring is original and what other circuits are affected.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 04:28:11 PM by dugite »
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline Acorn

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 59
  • THANKS 3
  • Perentie GS w/Winch 50-034
  • Location: Melbourne
Re: Keep blowing fuses.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 05:15:27 PM »
Thanks Dugite,

As far as Iím aware the wiring is original.  Only the fuel, temp & volts gauges and the windscreen wipers are affected.

A Land Rover mechanic told me the short might be in the windscreen wipers and suggested I unplug the power to the wipers and then see if the fuse blows again.

I just have to work out how I access the windscreen wipers.  I guess that involves pulling out the dashboard? 🤔

Regards

Acorn

Offline Chazza

  • REMLR Inc
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 507
  • THANKS 91
  • Location: Narrogin
  • REMLR No: 217
Re: Keep blowing fuses.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 08:08:18 AM »
Never, ever, put a fuse in the circuit, which is rated higher than the circuit diagram says.

If in your case the 15 amp fuse had not blown, then the short-circuit remains and the next most vulnerable part, which is the wiring, overheats and catches fire.

The short-circuit can be anywhere in the wiring associated with the non-functioning instruments, so start searching for rubbing wires, or uninsulated terminals touching to earth.

Good advice from Dugite.

Cheers Charlie
S2 Command Recce '59
S2A 109" GS '63
S2A Fire Truck '64

Offline Acorn

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 59
  • THANKS 3
  • Perentie GS w/Winch 50-034
  • Location: Melbourne
Re: Keep blowing fuses.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 03:18:00 PM »
Never, ever, put a fuse in the circuit, which is rated higher than the circuit diagram says.

If in your case the 15 amp fuse had not blown, then the short-circuit remains and the next most vulnerable part, which is the wiring, overheats and catches fire.

The short-circuit can be anywhere in the wiring associated with the non-functioning instruments, so start searching for rubbing wires, or uninsulated terminals touching to earth.

Good advice from Dugite.

Cheers Charlie


Thanks Charlie!