Author Topic: 101 pics  (Read 87 times)

Offline gazpa

• THANKS 2
101 pics
« on: February 20, 2021, 09:30:03 PM »
Howdy all, Garry, fc101 suggested I post a few pics of my car... she was built as an everyday car, easy to use and live with. Itís got ram assist power steer, cruise control, electric brake controller and in day to day use going to n from work, suburban runs, I get 13.5 to 14.5 mpg. Sheís fully legal, engineer approved with an EFI Ford Windsor5 litre v8

Offline fc101

• THANKS 55
  • REMLR No: 243
Re: 101 pics
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 11:03:01 PM »
Thanks for those pics - looks like it is well sorted.

How does the ram power steering go?  What is the system off?

Cheers

Garry

Offline gazpa

• THANKS 2
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 08:10:54 AM »
Howdy Garry The 101 is pretty much at the stage now that if I wanted to drive down to Melbourne or Perth it's just a matter of packing some clothes' getting Milo, my injured Staffy, boarded somewhere, and turning the key and driving out the gate. The power steer is from Heystee Automotive, a Dutch company, I've adapted it from their series conversion kit. I went with this because I've rebuilt the steering box and wanted to take a big part of the load off of it. It isn't cheap, I think the kit less pump was in the region of $1700? and helped make the kinked/s shaped drag link at the engineering shop I worked at for a while, but I was getting nowhere ringing and asking around about power steering to fit the 101's compact fitment. Anthony Johnson, British 4wd Imports, has converted a few 101's but my engineer thought the angle drive box used was too light for the 101 so wouldn't entertain passing that conversion. I try to do everything as legal as possible because you can't getting wrapped up in somebody elses bad day or descision in an accident and if the authorities see something hinkey they gotta act on it, and you could get hung out to dry. I'm rambling again, take care everyone, cheers.

Offline Chazza

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 91
  • REMLR No: 217
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 09:46:18 AM »
Nice work Gazpa!

I find it most refreshing to read about someone who cares about the vehicle modification laws and the public safety of other motorists. Well done!

Cheers Charlie
S2 Command Recce '59
S2A 109" GS '63
S2A Fire Truck '64

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 168
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 11:04:56 AM »
Well said Chaz ,   Couldn't Agee more.

The 101 looks like a great set up Gazpa, good luck with her .

Cheers,

Mick

Offline gazpa

• THANKS 2
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 12:52:29 PM »
Thanks fellas, didn't fully answer fc101's question... the steering seemed to lose a smidgen of precision, but she isn't meant to handle like a sports car, with day to day use you hardly notice. Cheers

Offline fc101

• THANKS 55
  • REMLR No: 243
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 04:16:06 PM »
Thanks - I have been thinking about power steering for some time.  If we lived in the Uk it would be a Sherpa power steering box and Discovery 1 steering column - other than mounting brackets no mods required, same with a Range Rover Classic 4 bolt box but hard to find and expensive.  There is the Anthony Johnson option you mention which seems a bit convoluted.  Then there is the ram option you have hence my interest in how yours work.  I also go on other forums and one is a Volvo 303 forum - vehicle similar (size etc) to the 101 and has a similar steering setup.  They use a Corvette ram power steering setup that is strong enough and fits similar to what you have set up.  My preference would be the RRC 4 bolt but I have not seen advertised locally at a fair price.

There are not a lot of 101 people on here but there are a few over on AULRO.

Thanks for the information - always good to see how others do things.

Garry

Offline gazpa

• THANKS 2
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 08:24:55 PM »
Howdy Garry, The engineer I use, and the only one local to me, Ray Sargent, wouldn't pass a telescopic style collapsible column because he thought the angle was too steep for it to work in the 101. Power steer certainly makes the car more user friendly for day to day use, we've just gotta use/find a system that can be used within the compromises we're able to live with. I chose the ram assist system because it kept the rest of the system pretty much standard, until Ray said I needed a collapsible column in order to get the engine engineered which I did because, the original to me, was taking so long to be rebuilt, which was like being tortured having the 101 there but not being able to use her, nothing worse for something long term to not use it. Cheers for now, take care.

Offline gazpa

• THANKS 2
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 09:23:52 PM »
Had a bad dose of CBF, canít be bothered, Friday so I made a template for the door marking, copying what was on the spare, good night