Author Topic: help finding the UN history of my series 2A Land rover  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Nathon

• THANKS 0
help finding the UN history of my series 2A Land rover
« on: September 26, 2020, 04:20:56 PM »
Hi all, I'm attempting to find out more about the supposed UN history of my 1970 Series 2A Land rover with the chassis number 347076676G. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks. If this is the wrong place to post this please let me know
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:57:18 PM by Nathon »

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
  • REMLR No: 20
Re: help finding the UN history of my series 2A Land rover
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 01:33:57 PM »
Hi Nathon,

Chassis numbers starting with 347 were 6 cylinder petrol 109's assembled here in Australia at the PMC plant at Enfield. Suffix G ran from April 1969 until January 1971, so it is probably a 1970 vehicle.

The first photo shows some military parts on your vehicle, but it is highly likely that they were put there by a previous owner.

Out of interest, what makes you think the vehicle has a UN background?

Any more photos?

Cheers,

Mike.

Offline Nathon

• THANKS 0
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 02:53:22 PM »
Hi Nathon,

Chassis numbers starting with 347 were 6 cylinder petrol 109's assembled here in Australia at the PMC plant at Enfield. Suffix G ran from April 1969 until January 1971, so it is probably a 1970 vehicle.

The first photo shows some military parts on your vehicle, but it is highly likely that they were put there by a previous owner.

Out of interest, what makes you think the vehicle has a UN background?

Any more photos?

Cheers,

Mike.

Hi Mike, Thank you for your reply

I'm starting to think that one of the previous owners has done this car up to look military. When I purchased the car I was told that apparently the UN symbol is visible underneath the paint if you use a IR Camera however I don't know how true this is. Other then that it was mainly the military parts and the stories the previous owner had to tell but I ain't no expert so it's highly probable that all these parts have been added on afterwards. So I was mainly just putting it out there to see if the tales were true. Additionally there is a wide panel running down the passenger side that I'm unsure of what it is used for if you know that would be excellent

As for extra photos, I've included a few more but just let me know what you would like to see and I'd be more then happy to provide them.

Thanks

Nathon
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:59:16 PM by Nathon »

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
  • REMLR No: 70
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 06:33:17 PM »
In the image showing the left side front, the vehicle doesn't appear to have the chassis extensions that were on a military chassis, it just appears to be a civilian chassis, and in the image showing the front of the vehicle, if it were ex-military it would show the bolts which hold the bar to the chassis, and the lifting/tie down points, sadly I think the chap who sold it to you has been telling fibs

Offline Nathon

• THANKS 0
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 06:48:01 PM »
In the image showing the left side front, the vehicle doesn't appear to have the chassis extensions that were on a military chassis, it just appears to be a civilian chassis, and in the image showing the front of the vehicle, if it were ex-military it would show the bolts which hold the bar to the chassis, and the lifting/tie down points, sadly I think the chap who sold it to you has been telling fibs

Hi Dennis

Thanks for the help. Just had a quick look and I can see what you mean, definitely looks like this bloke was spinning lies (Wouldn't be the first time sadly) which is a little disheartening but at the end of the day she's still fine a piece of machinery

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
  • REMLR No: 70
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 08:22:03 AM »
Yes, mate it is a bloody shame and a shameful act on behalf of the person who told that yarn to sell the vehicle, cheers dennis

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
  • REMLR No: 20
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 08:41:24 AM »
Yes, a bit of a shame Nathon, but at the end of the day, it looks like a fairly solid vehicle.

I don't know why Land Rovers seem to attract these fantasy type people, we have all heard plenty of dodgy stories over the years about so called military vehicles.

The IR camera thing is a bit weird they only detect heat I thought (?), if anything is under the paint, you should be able to see it looking side on or by giving it a gentle sand, but I if it was me I probably wouldn't bother.

Your 2A has some interesting previous owner modifications, I wonder why the transmission tunnel has been widened so much?

Someone has put an early 2A brush bar on it as well, it should have the later type for the headlights in the wings.

From the REMLR website, here is a photo of a late military 2A, unfortunately a bit different from your vehicle.

Sorry we couldn't help more, if it was a UN 2A, it would have an interesting story to tell!

Offline Nathon

• THANKS 0
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 08:50:31 AM »
Yes, a bit of a shame Nathon, but at the end of the day, it looks like a fairly solid vehicle.

I don't know why Land Rovers seem to attract these fantasy type people, we have all heard plenty of dodgy stories over the years about so called military vehicles.

The IR camera thing is a bit weird they only detect heat I thought (?), if anything is under the paint, you should be able to see it looking side on or by giving it a gentle sand, but I if it was me I probably wouldn't bother.

Your 2A has some interesting previous owner modifications, I wonder why the transmission tunnel has been widened so much?

Someone has put an early 2A brush bar on it as well, it should have the later type for the headlights in the wings.

From the REMLR website, here is a photo of a late military 2A, unfortunately a bit different from your vehicle.

Sorry we couldn't help more, if it was a UN 2A, it would have an interesting story to tell!

Thanks for all your help Mike

All the best

Nathon

Offline Nathon

• THANKS 0
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 08:52:10 AM »
Yes, mate it is a bloody shame and a shameful act on behalf of the person who told that yarn to sell the vehicle, cheers dennis

Totally agree but thankfully I don't to deal with him any more

All the best

Nathon

Offline fc101

• THANKS 55
  • REMLR No: 243
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 01:02:02 PM »
Just remember that UN operations are more than military operations - heaps of other functions that are not mil ops and even then there is a huge no mil support function in white non military vehicles.

Stories like the one here often have a basis in some sought of truth, whether that be someone had a vehicle made to look like a UN vehicle or possibly that the vehicle was a UN vehicle but in support of the civilian side of UN operations.

It would seem that the vehicle is not ex mil but may have been used in UN operations by non mil authorities.

If you are keen - look at a broader UN operations and see what other vehicles were used and where.

OH - PS I put your chassis number into Calvin and it is not known  - taking the G off the end then this comes up.

347   Model: Land Rover, Series IIA
   Body type: Basic
   Wheel base: 109in
   Engine: 6-cylinder
   Model years: 1966-1971
   Destination: Completely knocked down (CKD), right-hand drive (RHD)
07667   Serial number
6   Design: Significantly modified, no further details known

Note the meaning of the last number 6 - indicates this was a significantly modified vehicle when built - but the details are not know - so something is going on with this vehicle - got my curiosity going.

Garry
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 01:18:37 PM by fc101 »

Offline Nathon

• THANKS 0
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 02:33:37 PM »
Just remember that UN operations are more than military operations - heaps of other functions that are not mil ops and even then there is a huge no mil support function in white non military vehicles.

Stories like the one here often have a basis in some sought of truth, whether that be someone had a vehicle made to look like a UN vehicle or possibly that the vehicle was a UN vehicle but in support of the civilian side of UN operations.

It would seem that the vehicle is not ex mil but may have been used in UN operations by non mil authorities.

If you are keen - look at a broader UN operations and see what other vehicles were used and where.

OH - PS I put your chassis number into Calvin and it is not known  - taking the G off the end then this comes up.

347   Model: Land Rover, Series IIA
   Body type: Basic
   Wheel base: 109in
   Engine: 6-cylinder
   Model years: 1966-1971
   Destination: Completely knocked down (CKD), right-hand drive (RHD)
07667   Serial number
6   Design: Significantly modified, no further details known

Note the meaning of the last number 6 - indicates this was a significantly modified vehicle when built - but the details are not know - so something is going on with this vehicle - got my curiosity going.

Garry

Hi Gary

Thanks for the reply. You bring up some interesting points that could help explain some of the mystery, so while it's not strictly military it could have been used in some other capacity as a civilian vehicle and this where the story may have originated from and over time bits of pieces have been changed or forgotten leading to where we are today. The significantly modified part is very intriguing it would be interesting to know what these modifications were.

Thanks

Nathon

Offline fc101

• THANKS 55
  • REMLR No: 243
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 02:53:47 PM »
Also if the vehicle was assembled by the Pressed Metal Corporation it should have a plate on the firewall similar to below - could have been removed though.

Offline Nathon

• THANKS 0
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 06:45:47 PM »
Also if the vehicle was assembled by the Pressed Metal Corporation it should have a plate on the firewall similar to below - could have been removed though.

Hi

I believe the bulkhead has been replaced at some point so this could explain why this plate is missing

thanks

Nathon