Author Topic: rattly windows  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Ford Blitz

• THANKS 15
rattly windows
« on: September 14, 2020, 03:47:19 PM »
So I recently picked up some replacement window felt for my RFSV. Now I have to install them. Any advice how to go about it? ???

Offline Perentie1989

• THANKS 1
Re: rattly windows
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 12:16:01 PM »
Hi,
My windows rattle as well but I've not attempted a fix yet beyond wedging them.

I do have a copy of the workshop manual (reproductions of which can be bought easily now) and it has instructions - quite involved at first glance.

Sorry I cant be more assistance.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 08:28:17 PM »
After looking after 50-257 for 5 years we are checking the door seals, windscreen seals, window felts etc. A mjr exploration and preventative job.

The door top panel aka window frame, on the interior side, has number 2 size phillips screws at the extreme left and extreme right. They are more or less inline with the window channel lip (and screw in, horizontal orientation).

Unscrew them and the window lock screws. Caution: "cracking" the first turn of the screws. These screws are likely tight and have been in place perhaps 30 yrs. Take care to use a good quality phillips screwdriver tip and press the screwdriver into the screwhead with plenty of muscle pressure (You DON'T want to roundout the screwhead). The threads of the screws are likely rusty too.

Now assuming you have those screws out, the glass lower edge channel panel still won't move - there are more screws involved and they are the 4 screws in the glass channel itself (they screw down - vertical orientation). Likely rusty heads and threads again... be extra careful with those heads, but when they are removed the whole lower window frame and glass wants to fall off the doortop. The window channel and the interior panel with the lock and the screw at each end are the one and the same assembly. I did not look at the parts drawing so this came as a surprise to me.

From that point you have access to change channel felts.

Take care with the lock assembly when its in bits - don't lose anything - they are very pricey locks.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 09:19:10 PM »

See also

https://remlr.com/forum/index.php?topic=4812.0 Where to buy window felts

https://remlr.com/forum/index.php?topic=4812.0 Dinty thread that has pics of the window frame part removed and on the grass

Offline Ford Blitz

• THANKS 15
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 10:14:11 AM »
thanks I will give it a crack over the next few weeks :)