Author Topic: Tough Truck!  (Read 337 times)

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 50
  • REMLR No: 20
Tough Truck!
« on: August 12, 2020, 07:09:11 AM »
Iíve just received my copy of Mike Cecilís new book, Tough Truck!

Really enjoying it, a lot to look at and teaching me a few things as well.

Well done Mike for putting all of this information in the one place.

Highly recommended!

Cheers,

Mike.

Offline 2short

• THANKS 41
  • REMLR No: 471
Re: Tough Truck!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 04:22:41 PM »
Nice.
Curious to know the amount of pages split between Series vehicles and Perenties within the book. 

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 163
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 07:52:44 AM »

Hi Boys,

I think Tough Truck is a excellent book full of interesting information and of course on a topic dear to my heart.

I was however a little disappointed with the photo aspect of the book, I thought it missed the mark a little with the use of PR pic`s and a lack of photos from Regular Army Units.

The photo of the Series 3 "Sh@* box" used leading into the Series 3 Chapter particularly sticks in my claw and the photos of the Series 2A LRPV`s were disappointing.

Overall though it`s a terrific book and well worth the price.  A must for all us bone heads who devote our time to these old girls.

Thank you Mike for all your efforts.

Mick

Offline Mike C

• THANKS 91
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 08:10:20 AM »
My pleasure! Always enjoy the research and writing. And there is plenty to read: over 80,000 words in the text/captions with lots of detail to go with 1,000 images.

I thought it missed the mark a little with the use of PR pic`s and a lack of photos from Regular Army Units. - not sure what you are referring to here, Mick. There are less than a dozen images in the book that were sourced from Army PR, and those mostly to illustrate overseas service. In any event, I chose images that best illustrated as many technical aspects as possible of each type, rather than looking for 'action' images. As a ''shelf-reference', I find books like that much more useful.

The Series 3 image is as stated: a recently sold Series 3, untouched from disposals. Again, chosen as a good illustration of type.

2Short: The book has 275 pages. Pages 10 to 128 are devoted to the Series Land Rovers et al, 129 to 262 to Perentie, then to 270 for the appendices, and the remainder for end notes, references, etc.

Regards

Mike

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 163
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 09:47:15 AM »
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your response, I think my expectation was more for in service photos covering the broader army. Your reply does clarify your intent of providing reference photos and I get it (and support it).

I felt knowing your a REMLR member, that you'd like some honest feedback from a buyers presective which I believe you do. I think the book is fantastic and I appreciate your work. There was plenty of information and some interesting reading.

Should you intend on doing anymore books about Land Rovers on deployment , I have a few from Somalia and East Timor your welcome to use.

Cheers,

Mick

Offline Mike C

• THANKS 91
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 10:02:13 AM »
Hi Mick,

Always happy to receive constructive feedback, corrections and opinions, and where I think it is useful to clarify something, I will. Glad you like it overall, and as you say, understanding the 'author's intent' goes a long way to explaining the image choices from the couple of thousand I had to choose from.

Thanks for the offer of deployment images, however I doubt I'll be going down the Land Rover path in the foreseeable future - already well into the next book on a more obscure topic. Have to say that I'm very grateful to Trackpad for agreeing to publish it: hard to find a good publisher, especially one willing to take the occasional risk and publish an obscure topic.

Regards

Mike

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 163
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 10:19:21 AM »
Good on ya Mike,

Take care and stay safe. Good luck with your future projects.

Kind regards,

Mick

Offline numpty

• REMLR Committee
  • THANKS 16
  • REMLR No: 143
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 07:48:38 AM »
My copy arrived at home while I was away and am enjoying perusing the contents.

Of special interest to me is the inclusion of ARN's known to have served in Vietnam of which my Gunbuggy was one.

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 50
  • REMLR No: 20
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 07:38:38 AM »
I agree with you numpty, very enjoyable read.

I also found out that one of my vehicles has Vietnam history, which is not yet noted on the REMLR ARN page for Vietnam.

I must chase this up!

Cheers,

Mike.

Offline 2short

• THANKS 41
  • REMLR No: 471
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 03:32:13 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Mike C.  8)