Author Topic: Fuel pumps  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Bluebell One-eight

• THANKS 34
Fuel pumps
« on: June 24, 2020, 07:51:00 PM »
Some time ago the question was asked about whether there were alternate pumps that could be used. The possibility of a Fordson Power Major pump was raised. In all the sorting out of parts I was lucky enough to find both and make a comparison. The pump bodies are almost identical but the cam follower lever is different. The levers could be changed with some patience. See photo

Offline Tankradio

• THANKS 5
  • REMLR No: 118
Re: Fuel pumps
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 12:47:00 PM »
Hello Bluebell and thanks for this post.

I have Internationals and a Fordson major so it's very relevant.

By scouring the internet I came to the same conclusion that the main obstacle to substituting fuel pumps from other engines is the cam lever. The rest is generic off the shelf AC parts.

Hoping to find one somewhere.

Cheers

Phill
AKA Tankradio, Army Veteran & retired Detective, owner, 1944 GPW USMC Ambulance project, 1953 Ferret Mk1, 1954 Ferret Mk2, 1963 No1 Mk3 International GS, 1964 2A Land Rover RAEME Workshop, 1971 No1 Mk4 International GS, 1978 S3 Land Rover FFR RAAC, 1978 S3 Land Rover FFR RAE, 1988 Perentie GS Ex SAS

• THANKS 34
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 10:23:11 PM »
Try Wagga tractor on ebay.

Offline Tankradio

• THANKS 5
  • REMLR No: 118
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 02:15:36 AM »
Thanks Bluebell. It should have been obvious, I buy parts from them fairly often !

Cheers

Phill
AKA Tankradio, Army Veteran & retired Detective, owner, 1944 GPW USMC Ambulance project, 1953 Ferret Mk1, 1954 Ferret Mk2, 1963 No1 Mk3 International GS, 1964 2A Land Rover RAEME Workshop, 1971 No1 Mk4 International GS, 1978 S3 Land Rover FFR RAAC, 1978 S3 Land Rover FFR RAE, 1988 Perentie GS Ex SAS

Offline normie

• THANKS 0
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 02:48:04 AM »
many years ago I had a 2A with 2.25 diesel the fuel pump from old Holden grey motor got me out of trouble crossing the Nullabour

Offline john.k

• THANKS 29
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 09:47:23 AM »
Of course all the AC pump problems can be bypassed with an electric pump.......Over the years the AC pumps have had their fair share .....a common one was the valves dropping out of the die cast pot metal body,loose valves will leak and never prime properly .......for those who recall the XC/XD/XF Falcon cars ,the AC pumps would after a couple of years shrink the diaphragm material ,meaning the body screws would have no tension,and a bump or force on the petrol pipes would break the seal between the parts ,result being a flood of petrol all over the running engine.....Charming.

• THANKS 34
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 09:28:01 PM »
Of course all the AC pump problems can be bypassed with an electric pump.......Over the years the AC pumps have had their fair share .....a common one was the valves dropping out of the die cast pot metal body,loose valves will leak and never prime properly .......for those who recall the XC/XD/XF Falcon cars ,the AC pumps would after a couple of years shrink the diaphragm material ,meaning the body screws would have no tension,and a bump or force on the petrol pipes would break the seal between the parts ,result being a flood of petrol all over the running engine.....Charming.
A book could be written on the things! Over the years I had collected dozens of different pumps. There are " el cheapos " and expensive versions evidently. A lot have the valves retained by staking the housing around the recess. There are some that have the valves retained by a bracket held in with a couple of screws. If locktite is used on the threads when assembling they don't come out. Some have a glass bowl others metal. The valves leak from either wear over time or dirt getting in. Easy to prevent with a filter. The army had trouble with the pumps making too much pressure in Jeeps, the mod to fix it was a 1/4 inch spacer between the pump and the engine block.The XE and XF Fords used a Carter pump, later ones had a vapour separator on the top, but no bowl on either version. The halves of the body were held together by six screws with the same pattern as the AC pumps.