Author Topic: Removing winch cable - how to?  (Read 913 times)

Offline Notlongnow

• THANKS 5
Removing winch cable - how to?
« on: June 01, 2020, 05:24:22 PM »
Hello, Can someone tell me please how to remove the winch cable from my 6x6? I have removed one grub screw from a likely spot, but the cable only came out by about ten mills, then stuck again. Do I just force it, or have I missed something?  Also, how does one fit Dyneema rope to the drum? It doesn't look as though I can clamp it to anything.
Thanks, Paul

Offline Ravvin

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 61
  • REMLR No: 432
Re: Removing winch cable - how to?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 08:16:15 AM »
Not sure if you are talking about Land Rovers or the Inters, but on the Inter, it's just that big grub screw. On mine, I found that when they tightened it up, it squashed and splayed the end of the cable out and I had to really heave on it to get it out. It was spread so much that I would need to dock the end off to get it back in the hole in the cable drum.
If you are talking about Land Rover winches, I can't help you, sorry.

Greg.

Offline Notlongnow

• THANKS 5
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 01:13:29 PM »
Thanks Greg, stupid of me not to say, it is a Land Rover. It is probably a similar system - if no-one has any other suggestions, I will resort to brute force.

Offline yerriyong

• THANKS 20
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 09:34:46 AM »
Hi Paul, when fit the dyneema you sleeve it the same way as the wire so the grub screw has some thing to bit into. I dont know what size dyneema you decided on, I was split between the 12 or 14mm, I went with the 12mm and the drum comfortably fitted 60m in length, so in hindsight I think I might have been better off fitting 14mm. Dave
97 6x6 arn 202 300
90 rfsv arn 51658

Offline Notlongnow

• THANKS 5
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 09:41:14 AM »
Hi Dave, thanks, do you have any suggestions where I could buy a suitable crimping  sleeve please? Looks like the old one was 12mm diameter. I have already bought a 10mm rope - hopefully it will be strong enough. I don't expect to be using it to climb mountains, just to get me out of a bog or similar. Camper is nearly finished - it looks huge, but weight is still okay, just on 4 tons on the scales. Should be able to downgrade to 4.495 kilos.
Cheers, Paul

Offline yerriyong

• THANKS 20
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 11:29:23 AM »
Camper looks great, down grade is worth the effort, the sleeve I just used a piece of copper plumbing.
97 6x6 arn 202 300
90 rfsv arn 51658