Author Topic: Crank handle  (Read 1603 times)

Offline 4x4-581

• THANKS 3
Crank handle
« on: December 10, 2019, 11:26:54 AM »
Hi everyone,
Does anyone have a drawing of the engine crank handle that suits the 4x4 and 6x6's?

Offline Ravvin

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 61
  • REMLR No: 432
Re: Crank handle
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 06:23:40 PM »
Here you go.

One of the members here sent this to me a while back, but unfortunately I didn't record who.
I have to make one for my truck soon, also. I have 2m of bright steel rod standing in the corner, just never seem to get around to it.
Might pay to make a mock-up with a piece of fencing wire first, and check that it fits your brackets. Strangely, although my 4x4 has the clips behind the seat, my 6x6 doesn't. Not even holes where they should be.
I'm thinking they may have kept the crank handle in one of the tool boxes, for some reason.

Greg.

Offline 4x4-581

• THANKS 3
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 08:17:21 PM »
Cheers Raven!
I had a old photo on my old computer.
Purchased the materials today but had to get
The closest metric match. 

Do you know if the key part is resessed into end of rod?

Offline Ravvin

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 61
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 08:23:16 AM »
I know its set back from the end a bit, but not the exact distance. The end is also chamfered at 45°.
When I get home this afternoon I will compare the depth of the hole in the crank pulley and the spare wheel lift to the depth of the slots that the pin sits in. That should give us an idea of how far back to locate the pin.

Greg.

Offline Ravvin

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 61
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 08:36:15 PM »
Ok I checked the crank pulley and the spare tyre winch. The actual slot on each side is cut fairly deep.
From the bottom of the notch to the bottom of the centre hole is only 8.5mm, but you could have the hole for the cross pin up to 25mm up the shaft and it would still engage.
Something to consider is that if you have the pin too far back and find it slips out of the slot, you can just trim a bit off the end of the shaft.
I don't have access to an original Inter crank handle to see where they had the pin, but hopefully one of the other members here may have one and post up a pic of the end of theirs.

They must have been very useful for something other than starting our Inters and raising/lowering the spare wheels, as a lot of us are missing them.
Either that, or there are a lot of them slowly rusting away in the bush where they were forgotten and left after changing a flat tyre. :)

Greg.

Offline 4x4-581

• THANKS 3
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 09:09:51 PM »
LoL Greg... To true.  I wonder why there all missing as well! Same as the oil cans?  I'll make my long to start with.

Does anyone have a picture of the location of there clips?  My seem very close to the wall.  Way to close.

Offline Bluebell One-eight

• THANKS 34
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 10:13:12 PM »
Firstly the clips the handle is stowed in are right up against the wall, there is only enough clearance to allow a little bit of flex. I think the pin is set back 3/4  inch. My handle is somewhere in the mess that followed the big move. When I find it I'll post the correct figure. I would think that the missing items went post service. If you were issued a truck you signed for the CES and if any items were missing and there was not a solid reason you payed for it!!! The item was then replaced. A truck could not have half its kit missing if it had to move because of National emergency. The Inters started very easily with the handle providing the ignition and fuel systems were in good order. You needed to stand on  something like a crate so you could pull up smartly on the handle. They usually started first time.