Author Topic: Inter Wiring  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Ravvin

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 61
  • REMLR No: 432
Inter Wiring
« on: June 18, 2019, 08:57:51 AM »
Hi all.
As any of you with an ex-army Inter will know, all of the wiring in these trucks is yellow, with a code number printed at each end that you have to look up in the diagram to identify.
On my truck, I have to re manufacture the rear wiring harness as the previous owner cut the ends off and moisture got in and corroded the copper.
Others will have found that any time you replace a connector, you have to strip the wire back and lose the number.

I just bought a great tool that helps a lot.

This label printer prints on all the standard flat polyester, vinyl and nylon labelling tape, as well as on heatshrink tubing.
The heatshrink tubing comes in either white or yellow, and in widths of 6mm, 9mm, 12mm & 19mm.

I bought a couple of the 6mm black print on yellow heatshrink rolls, and found it pretty much matches the colour of the original wiring, where it hasn't faded.

The heatshrink is listed as having a 3:1 shrink ratio, and I found the 6mm is perfect for the regular Inter wires. I'll be grabbing some 9mm and 12mm also.
The printing is supposed to be pretty stable and I saw a test where a heap of labels were printed, shrunk onto wire and put in different substances for a month.
They tried diesel, oil, salt water and fresh water. At the end of that time, some of the wire coating had changed colour a bit, but the labels were still clear and readable.

I can't do much outside over winter, but if I can find a supplier of the sort of wire used in the Inters who sells by the roll, I will have a go at measuring and making up a replacement harness to run from behind the engine back to the tail lights. I'll give the printer a good work-out.

If anyone is after a few wire labels for their truck, just let me know.

Greg.

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
Re: Inter Wiring
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 06:04:57 PM »
Good one Greg - Great Idea -  I will look at doing something with my wiring as well - some numbers are well and truly faded!  I have been using my F1 and it is a great vehicle, the Abbey is very handy.

STDDIVER

Offline Aussie Jeepster

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 91
  • REMLR No: 012
Re: Inter Wiring
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 08:44:03 PM »
Wow, what a great little machine, and what a great idea.
No 5 Trailer ARN 177-295
SOLD Engineers Trailer - no id
SOLD RAAF 231194 Perentie 110 GS - SIR ANGUS