Author Topic: Land Rover 2a ignition and blackout switch wiring?.  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Matt Reeves

• THANKS 6
Land Rover 2a ignition and blackout switch wiring?.
« on: February 10, 2019, 08:27:14 PM »
Hi. Thanks to DennisM I now have the correct ignition and blackout switch for my 1963 2a but I'm having difficulty with wiring them in.

When I bought it the original keyless ignition switch had been replaced with a civilian type switch with a key. While both the military and civvi switches are both Lucas PRS3 I hadn't realised that apart from having the key replaced by a knob, the military switch is different internally, having 5 terminals on the back as opposed to 4 on the civvi switch. It appears this is because the live feed to the ignition and lights is separate  on the military switch but shares a common terminal on the civvi version.

The blackout switch was missing completely when I bought the vehicle, with some wire joined together and others simply left as bare ends when the BO switch was removed.

Please can anyone point me in the direction of a wiring diagram for the military ignition and blackout switch?.

Thanks!

Matt.

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 128
  • REMLR No: 128
Re: Land Rover 2a ignition and blackout switch wiring?.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:19:52 PM »
At the top right of this page: "The REMLR Website can be found at http://www.remlr.com"

Click on that link, then go Library>EMEI>Vehicle Wiring Diagrams

Offline Matt Reeves

• THANKS 6
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 06:12:41 AM »
Thanks that's great!. I did look on the site before posting but initially didn't find the EMEI's.

Cheers,

Matt.

Offline Barra

• THANKS 0
  • REMLR No: 574
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 10:29:30 AM »
Hey Matt - how did you remove the ignition or install the knob type. I have undone the bezel as far as I can but appears not to be anyway to actually remove the knob so that I can finish undoing the bezel & remove the ignition assembly. There is a small hole in the ignition assembly body but does not appear to any screw/circlip etc to remove the knob totally (S2a GS 109" 2.25 ltr petrol).
Cheers,

Barra

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
  • REMLR No: 20
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 04:51:28 PM »
Barra,

The switch barrel comes out by aligning the hole you mention with a small spring loaded plunger and using a small punch to press the plunger down and slide the barrel out of the switch.  Hopefully these photos will explain......

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
  • REMLR No: 20
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 04:55:43 PM »
You can see the small brass plunger on the barrel.  If yours is anything like mine was, it will need a bit of a clean so you can see what you are doing!

Out of interest, Matt’s vehicle is a 63 model, and has an earlier type of switch.

Here is another photo showing the military and civilian barrels together, the switch will accept either type.

Cheers,

Mike.

Offline Barra

• THANKS 0
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 11:44:26 AM »
Thanks guys,

will have a closer look because I could not see anything through that little hole initially. Mine is exactly the same as the photos.

Cheers,

Barra

Offline Barra

• THANKS 0
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 02:16:59 PM »
Hi Mike,

could not even see the little brass plunger/pin, did the the switch need to be in the OFF/ON/START posn to see the pin?

Cheers,

Barra

Offline Barra

• THANKS 0
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 02:27:10 PM »
Phewww - got it. You were right when you said "little plunger" - lol.