Author Topic: If i found 5" wide rims do they fit under the guards on the no 5?  (Read 1739 times)

Offline ozeraser

• THANKS 2
So If I were to acquire some 5" wide rims for the no5 trailer to get it inspected, will they fit under the mudguards? the ones that come on them at the moment seem like their an inch too wide.

Anyone know?

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 114
  • REMLR No: 430
Re: If i found 5" wide rims do they fit under the guards on the no 5?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 05:24:38 AM »
The standard ones fitted to them are 6" wide so I would imagine 5" would be fine as long as the rim offset is the same.
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 128
  • REMLR No: 128
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 10:21:28 PM »
The Standard wheels fitted to the No5 were 272309 Series rims that were 5.5" wide with a 33+ offset. With a 7.50-16 tyre, they fitted completely within the guard. 

To increase compatibility with the Perentie fleet (and stability), AYG8108 6.0" rims with a 20.6+ offset were fitted. These do stick marginally outside the guards when checked with a straightedge, but not significantly (ie the sidewall protrudes, but not the tread). If these are the rims you have, I'd stick with them unless you are facing a particularly stringent roadworthy check. You could refer to the Repair Parts Scale to argue that these rims were fitted in service, or you could get a pair of series rims for the inspection to save an argument.

Offline ozeraser

• THANKS 2
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 11:35:18 PM »
Yeah thanks guys. Yeah i need to take it to get inspected down here in SA, and it is required to abide by all current rules and regs :(. So i thought i would get smaller rims and pass it instead of tacking some wider arches on. Try to keep it as orig as i can.

Now to locate some old series rims :P

Offline kman

• THANKS 31
  • REMLR No: 278
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 08:41:17 AM »
Another crazy variation in the rules! In Queensland you can self assess a No 5.
Ferret Mk 1/2
MUTT M151A2
No 5 Trailer, RAAF Tactical Trailer