Author Topic: 2A Carby  (Read 2504 times)

Will

2A Carby
« on: October 05, 2012, 12:59:19 PM »
Gday,

The 1963 2A i am tinkering with currently has a Stromberg carby. I know it isnt original (although it does run very sweet) and i would like to convert it back to an original setup with the oil air filter tank.

I have both a solex and zenith? carby that i would like to recondition and swap over but not sure which one i should work with.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
Re: 2A Carby
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 01:20:14 PM »
Hi,

2A's had both solex and zenith depending on year of manufacture, the early ones had the Solex, your 63 model would definitely be a Solex.

Cheers
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

mzungumagic

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 01:44:46 PM »
Scott's reply is correct from the originality point of view, but the Zenith is the less complex of the two and probably easier to obtain now.  They (Zeniths) can be subject to a warping problem, but there's plenty of detail on this forum about that and the fix.

A good one will return good mileage - around 22mpg.

Jack

Offline Uncle Ho

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 54
  • REMLR No: 003
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »

I would agree with Mzungumagic,the 36IV Zenith is the easier carby to refurbush,but they need to be perfectly flat across the base,they also work with an adaptor which turns them 90 deg to that of the Solex, so if you have both the adaptor and the insulation block that would be my choice of unit,BUT, Incisor has just fitted a new Solex to his 59SWB and it is performing very well.

The main thing is that the "O"ring seal in the Zenith is good and that the faces of the 2 halves are flat.

cheers

Will

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 08:43:26 AM »
Thanks everyone for the pointers, i will have a look at both the Solex and Zenith carbies and see which one is in better condition. I think the Solex might be the way to go, it will keep with the era of the vehicle.

Advice much appreciated! Cheers, Will