Author Topic: How to make a F1 tray fit a mk3?  (Read 2286 times)

Offline 4x4-581

• THANKS 3
How to make a F1 tray fit a mk3?
« on: May 12, 2018, 04:07:42 PM »
Hi all,
I acquired a f1 tray to fit to my mk3.
It appears the f1 tray mounts a lot higher.
Does anyone have any pics detailing how the
Mk3 tray in bolted down?

Offline Ravvin

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 61
  • REMLR No: 432
Re: How to make a F1 tray fit a mk3?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 07:34:27 PM »
The F1 has an extra 140mm high rail between the chassis and the crossmembers of the tray.
You should be able to unbolt the rail from the crossmembers and sit the tray directly onto the chassis rails. There is a piece of timber that sits between the crossmembers and the chassis rail.
You will need some U-bolts to hold it down. If you got the ones off the F1, they will be far too long.
I can take some pics of the differences between the F1 and the MK3 in the morning and post them up. Its a lot easier than trying to describe it all.

If by chance tou did get the F1 U-bolts and don't need them, I would be interested in buying them, as some of mine had very worn and burred threads. I was going to buy some mild steel rod to heat and bend, then cut threads and heat treat, but if I can get genuine ones, it would be a lot easier.

Pics to come.
Greg.

Offline Chazza

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 99
  • REMLR No: 217
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 09:16:52 AM »
... I was going to buy some mild steel rod to heat and bend, then cut threads and heat treat, but if I can get genuine ones, it would be a lot easier.

Greg.

Mild steel may be OK, but they can be under a lot of tension when the chassis is flexing; perhaps a higher-carbon steel such as this might be better, http://www.interlloy.com.au/our-products/carbon-steels/1045-medium-tensile-carbon-steel-bar/

If you end up making them, cut the threads first before bending, otherwise you won't be able to swing a tap-wrench.

Not much point in heat-treating mild-steel, as it doesn't alter the tensile strength; working them hot is a good idea though,

Cheers Charlie
S2 Command Recce '59
S2A 109" GS '63
S2A Fire Truck '64

Offline wfc1

• THANKS 10
  • REMLR No: 37
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 10:41:31 AM »
Hi. There are other issues you may run into as well when trying to fit the 6x6 tray to a Mk3. I have just gone down the same path and ended up sourcing the correct tray instead. I found that the crossmembers are in different places on both trays, also the mounting of the two rear toolboxes has to be overcome and various other issues as well. The two lengths of C section on the 6x6 tray are bolted to the crossmembers and then U bolts are used to hold the lot onto the chassis where as the 4x4 the U bolts are upside down and go straight through holes in the crossmember with the nuts on top. The wood it sits on is about half inch thick. On the Mk3 there should be two small plates, one either side, bolted to the outside of the chassis just at the front of the winch with a mounting bolt sticking up. This goes through the corresponding crossmember as a hold down point. There is no crossmember for these to line up with on the 6x6 tray, it is in a different spot. Having said all this nothing is impossible and I'm sure other people have done this conversion successfully.   Regards, Bruce.

Offline 4x4-581

• THANKS 3
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 07:16:04 PM »
Hi. There are other issues you may run into as well when trying to fit the 6x6 tray to a Mk3. I have just gone down the same path and ended up sourcing the correct tray instead. I found that the crossmembers are in different places on both trays, also the mounting of the two rear toolboxes has to be overcome and various other issues as well. The two lengths of C section on the 6x6 tray are bolted to the crossmembers and then U bolts are used to hold the lot onto the chassis where as the 4x4 the U bolts are upside down and go straight through holes in the crossmember with the nuts on top. The wood it sits on is about half inch thick. On the Mk3 there should be two small plates, one either side, bolted to the outside of the chassis just at the front of the winch with a mounting bolt sticking up. This goes through the corresponding crossmember as a hold down point. There is no crossmember for these to line up with on the 6x6 tray, it is in a different spot. Having said all this nothing is impossible and I'm sure other people have done this conversion successfully.   Regards, Bruce.

Not to mention the winch roller.

Offline 4x4-581

• THANKS 3
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 07:18:30 PM »
I've decided to leave it as a f1 tray. I like the extra height
For access underneath.

Offline 4x4-581

• THANKS 3
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 10:11:53 PM »
I have changed my mind! Who knows of a mk4 or mk3 tray?