Linked Events

• KVE corowa smim in: March 11, 2013 - March 17, 2013

Author Topic: 34th Annual Corowa Swim-In and Military Vehicle Gathering  (Read 29070 times)

Offline Jan Thompson

• THANKS 40
    • Corowa Swim In, KVE Inc
  • REMLR No: 379
34th Annual Corowa Swim-In and Military Vehicle Gathering
« on: October 01, 2012, 04:21:01 PM »
Hi all,
I have just joined this forum so I can provide you with some up to date news on the Corowa Swim-In. Some of you may be on the KVE database so would have just received our latest newsletter. If you would like me to add you to the database so you receive updates on the Corowa event and any other things that get sent my way such as future events, for sale, wanted ads etc please forward an email to kveinc@optusnet.com.au

We will be using the Corowa Showgrounds and racecourse as our secondary site in 2013 and i have some improtant information which KVE wants you to be aware of if you are intereted in staying at the Showgrounds:

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR PARTICIPANTS
For those of you coming to Corowa with armour, vehicles and transporters, we have camping available at Corowa Showground.
KVE have definitely secured camping from Thursday 14th to Sunday 17th March, however we have been given approval by the Trust that manages these facilities that if needed, we can book from Monday 11th to Monday 18th March.
The reason for this is that KVE will be charged $200 per day. As can be seen, to make it viable we need to know straight away as to how many of you are interested in using the site from Monday or anytime onwards.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING
 The camping fee per person, per day will be $10 each.
 There are showers and toilets on site.
 You will have to make sure you remove your own rubbish.
 You will have to abide by any rules and regulations set by the Trust.
 The Rotary Club may be able to organise meals on a couple of days during the week, subject to prior demand.
 No dogs are permitted at this facility, see advertisement in this newsletter for local kennels.
 Double the amount of undercover area is now available for the swapmeet.
Please contact Neville as soon as possible:
Neville Smith (KVE Vice President) on 0429 350 569
kveinc@optusnet.com.au
Please let Neville know what days you expect to be at the Showground and how many persons coming with your entry.
As you can see, the only way to plan this is to know how many people would like to use the site and when they will arrive.
Prompt responses to using the facilities will give us a good estimate of how viable it would be to hire the site from Monday onwards, or whether to do it from Thursday onwards.
Bindaree Motel and Caravan Park are also able to offer reasonably priced camping.
KVE is a volunteer group and many of our Committee members have been working hard in the last few months to make this next event a good one, but one thing is lacking, that is knowing how many partici-pants and vehicles are going to enter and what their needs are, so please help us to help you.
The Showground was first used last year for Saturday’s activities, and the overwhelming
response to the venue was excellent, so please give it a go.

The theme for 2013 is Year of the Trailed Equipment and Armoured Vehicle.

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
Re: 34th Annual Corowa Swim-In and Military Vehicle Gathering
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 01:41:52 PM »
Welcome to the new forum Jan!

Thanks for posting up the details, I'll copy them across to the REMLR website as soon as I get a chance.

Richard Green
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline Jan Thompson

• THANKS 40
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 06:57:06 PM »
For those who plan to arrive earlier in the week or the weekend prior there are now more powered sites at Ball Park Caravan Park. Bindaree Motel and Caravan Park were very accomodating in March and charged the same rate as the airport. We do need your Entry Forms back as well as commitment by contacting Neville Smith if you intend to camp at the Showgrounds. The Corowa Shire are expecting us to provide them with numbers ASAP as part of giving KVE permission to use the Showgrounds and Racecourse. There is a race meeting on Sunday 10th March which is the reason why people can't stay at the facility until at least the Monday. To make it viable for us to hire the site from Monday we would appreciate the number of people who wish to use the site.

When Diana spoke to me this afternoon we discussed the provision of meals. To be able to make this worthwhile there will need to be sufficient numbers. KVE don't have an issue with someone taking on the responsibility of looking at meal options. There are various organisations in town who would probably come to the party.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 06:59:35 PM by Jan Thompson »

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 148
  • REMLR No: 282
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 05:49:09 PM »
Here is a link to the home page hope to see as many as possible

http://corowaswim-in.org/aboutus.html

geoff
s111 GS, no 5, xt600 & Ferret mk2
Geoff C

Offline bronzie66610

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 20
  • REMLR No: 373
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »
Thanks Geoff
Will try to get something together.
Dave
1 Series 2a (Civ)
1966 S2A GS ARN 113-990
1964 S2A GS ARN 112-951
1964 S2A GS ARN 112-915

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 148
  • REMLR No: 282
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 10:18:59 PM »
Do we know if tabitha will be keeping the jump shack open for meals?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 10:19:17 AM by THE BOOGER »
s111 GS, no 5, xt600 & Ferret mk2
Geoff C

Offline Jan Thompson

• THANKS 40
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 03:52:54 PM »
How did the visit to Corowa go during the month Diana?

If we get 10 people to commit to camping at the Showgrounds from the Monday or the Tuesday we will definitely use the site from then. Neville hasnt received any calls from anyone yet. KVE would appreciate knowing if there are people considering the camping at the Showgrounds. If you know people who don't have internet access please let them know the updates as we post them.

We received our Corowa Shire Tourism Grant and have managed to get everything we asked for. the promotional items have been ordered and we are on track for another successful year. If you get your entry in early you are guaranteed a Pre-registered participant pack. Many thanks to those people who have already pre-registered.

Offline Jan Thompson

• THANKS 40
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 08:04:52 AM »
Neville Smith contacted me last night and mentioned he had received a couple of phone calls over the last few days from people who want to use the showgrounds so KVE will be opening the camping from Monday to Monday. Those interested will still have to contact Neville as he is working alongside the Trust. If all who are interested phone Neville now there will be no issues.

The Corowa Shire is not charging $200 per day.  This is being charged by the Trust. In the past KVE has had to write to the Council for approval for the Airport and this year we don't have to do that as the Trust are doing this.

Offline bronzie66610

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 20
  • REMLR No: 373
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 05:46:57 PM »
Wish him HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
Dave
1 Series 2a (Civ)
1966 S2A GS ARN 113-990
1964 S2A GS ARN 112-951
1964 S2A GS ARN 112-915

Offline Richard Farrant

• THANKS 36
Restoration articles wanted for next newsletter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 03:22:38 AM »
A message to all past, present and future participants of the Annual Corowa Swim-In & Military Vehicle Gathering. The next edition of KVE News, the newsletter dedicated to the Swim-In, is scheduled to come out in January with all the up to date information for the 2013 event in March. As Editor of KVE News, I am looking for articles on your restorations along with photos.

If you have any interesting military vehicle restoration stories to tell, please send them to me as soon as possible. We will also be preparing a Special Edition of KVE News in printed form which will be in the pre-registered participants packs when you arrive at Corowa.

We have recently received confirmation of another successful application of a Tourism Event grant from the Corowa Shire Council which will help cover some of our costs of running the event as well as being able to give some promotional items to pre-registered participants. These will include a 2013 Year of the Trailed Equipment and Armoured Vehicle hat, a special bumper sticker and a pen, along with a few other items.

A good reason to get your entry forms in now to ensure you do not miss out. The entry form and recent KVE News can be downloaded from the website which is www.corowaswim-in.org
Look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards, Richard Farrant

Khaki Vehicle Enthusiasts Inc. - Committee Member and Newsletter Editor
KVE President & Editor
MVG of NSW newsletter editor
1943 Bedford QLD
1943 Daimler Scout Car

mzungumagic

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 10:22:17 AM »
Richard,

Can you provide some guidelines for this article you are seeking ?

What length and how many photos, among other things.

I could write up something on the Model T Light Car restoration, but you might think it more appropriate for the Jan 14 edition ?

Jack

Offline Richard Farrant

• THANKS 36
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 10:59:54 AM »
Hi Jack,
That would be great, we were talking about the subject of WW1 yesterday and I feel your Model T story could be a good one to use next year, possibly the June issue or before. If you can get enough together for say 3-4 pages plus 6 or so photos. If you are still working on it, it makes sense to write the article on completion.

Guidelines .... where you got it from, the state it was in, problems found and solved, any interesting history found, the research, etc.

Thanks for your interest.
best regards, Richard
KVE President & Editor
1943 Bedford QLD
1943 Daimler Scout Car

Offline Richard Farrant

• THANKS 36
Attention! to all MV clubs
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 11:25:44 AM »
Just sending this on behalf of Jan Thompson, the KVE Secretary:

Encouraging new membership
There are people throughout Australia who are interested in finding a club nearby to join. There are a number of people who attend our Swim-in at Corowa who don’t belong to any clubs and they sometimes contact KVE to obtain an entry form or want to speak to someone who can assist them with a vehicle restoration. In our next KVE newsletter we would like to hear from Club committees who may like to promote their organisation to fellow collectors. If you are interested please send Jan, our Secretary details of your club including contacts so we can start and put together a list of clubs.

The contact email address is kveinc@optusnet.com.au

regards, Richard Farrant
KVE Committee Member and News Editor
KVE President & Editor
1943 Bedford QLD
1943 Daimler Scout Car

Offline Richard Farrant

• THANKS 36
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 04:56:20 AM »
Hi Richard

Just to go off on a tangent, there was an idea running around Sydney for KVE to publish on it's website a calendar of military vehicle events around Australia and OS.

Any progress on this yet?

Hi Diana,
I have been on the KVE committee for nearly two years and during that time cannot recollect any mention of a calender on our website. As with all things like this, it need people to send the information in and then this sort of thing  could be done, also a page or so in the newsletter, which comes out around January, June and Sept/Oct. We could certainly bring it up at a meeting. I know that Jan gets notices of events from all over and we endeavour to put notices of them in the newsletter.

The organising of the Showground site is well in hand I understand, but cannot give you any more details than that, as I am more involved in other matters.

Best regards,
Richard
KVE President & Editor
1943 Bedford QLD
1943 Daimler Scout Car

Offline Jan Thompson

• THANKS 40
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 08:06:20 AM »

Thanks for the last post Richard. Being out in the country area for a week made it difficult to post messages on forums.

I recently sent off 2 Membership Applications to people wanting to join the AMVCS and with changes of Committees in clubs I would like to make sure I have the best possible contact for people who may ask me about joining a club.

We will post club information in our next KVE News which we would like to get out next week. We are also doing a Special Edition for Corowa 2013 and this may encourage people to join your club.

There has also been interest from Temora in having military vehicles present at their 2013 Airshows Downunder which will be on the first weekend in November.