Author Topic: 6x6 fuel tank changeover  (Read 17413 times)

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
Re: 6x6 fuel tank changeover
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2018, 06:21:03 PM »
Picture of fuses

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2018, 06:21:58 PM »
Another

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2018, 06:23:46 PM »
Fellas I really do appreciate this.
Cheers Rob

Offline Notlongnow

• THANKS 5
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2018, 06:46:55 PM »
Rob, the 1990 model with blade fuses should have the low fuel relay in that fuse panel. Try very gently moving the fuel switch between tanks, and see if you can hear the relay click. If it does, you can eliminate wiring between the fuel switch and the battery and concentrate on the wiring between the fuel switch and the Pollak valve.

If the relay clicks, and you can find a tail-light globe or similar with wires on it, unplug the Pollak connector and look for electricity between pins E and D. (Pin F is the one with no wire, E and D are the next two with wires). The light should be on whichever way the switch is set, but might flicker as the switch is changed from left to right. If that all happens, then it is likely that the Pollak valve is faulty.

If the relay clicks, but the light doesn't go when connected between D and E, then the wiring loom between the switch and the Pollak is faulty.

If the relay DOESN'T click, try again to find that missing fuse. It should be in a block of four hanging loose on wires well below the ashtray.

Good luck!

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2018, 08:10:21 AM »
Thanks blokes,  I will keep looking.
Paul,  what are your thoughts on that loose wire connector near the ignition switch.? It does have power when ignition. Should I try and find another wire somewhere down deep that may have worked off.  It just seems strange that it is not connected to something considering it has power.
Cheers Rob.

Offline Notlongnow

• THANKS 5
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2018, 09:51:09 AM »
Rob, it is probably a red herring while looking for your fuel problem. Do a few tests that can at least determine where the fault lies with the fueling, and worry about that wire later. If you find there is no power to the fuel change-over switch, then investigate that wire. Why do you think it is a 96 ohm resistor? That is not a standard value for a resistor.

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2018, 05:07:05 PM »
Thanks Paul,
I will keep digging.  96 ohms is what I thought it was but I could have been totally off.  I might dig it out again and test then let you know. As previously mentioned I am no auto sparkie by any stretch.  But I am having a crack to get my head around this.
Cheers Rob

Offline Notlongnow

• THANKS 5
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2018, 06:25:08 PM »
Rob, at least try for the relay noise. That will give you a start on where to look, and make it easier for those who advise you.

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2018, 06:47:22 PM »
Thanks Paul,
I just tried the relay noise and couldn't hear anything.  So I will go to the next step as has been explained.
Will try again tomorrow.
Cheers Rob

Offline Notlongnow

• THANKS 5
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2018, 02:06:34 PM »
Okay, so it is pretty likely that there is no voltage getting to the change-over switch. That is probably good news, better than needing a new Pollak valve. Dig deep for that missing fuse - it should be in a block of four fuses.

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2018, 12:01:46 PM »
Ok fellas,
I have checked for power between D & E  on the Pollak connection with the ignition on and got nothing. I have looked high and low for those illusive fuses and for the life of me I can't locate them.  Could they have been positioned some where else I'm kinda grasping at straws here.
Any further assistance appreciated.

Offline Notlongnow

• THANKS 5
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2018, 01:09:39 PM »
On mine it was on the far side and underneath the dashlight dimmer switch, almost under the fuel switch. You may need to borrow some small hands to reach it and carefully bring it back to the ashtray hole.

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 103
  • REMLR No: 374
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2018, 02:30:40 PM »
thanks notlongnow (got your name properly this time :) ), 6X6 is beyond my experience as I stated, my dual tanks and Pollak are in an RFSV
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 02:33:09 PM by dugite »
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2018, 02:44:08 PM »
Thanks fellas, I will keep digging.
Cheers Rob

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2018, 03:41:17 PM »
Fellas,
I have had one small victory. I have found those four elusive fuses. Your right they were buried deep down below the dimmer switch.  What was throwing me off was that they were upside down  with other wiring covering it and I couldn't actually see the fuses... what a pain.
Any how what I discovered was a blown 12 amp fuse.  Changed it and tried the change over switch and it blew it immediately.  So therefore I am guessing I have a short somewhere.  But how to go about it locating it?

I am going to hark back to that question about the unconnected wire and terminal on the ignition switch could this be related. 
Thoughts Gentlemen?
Cheers Rob