Author Topic: New Adelaide Member  (Read 8452 times)

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
  • REMLR No: 310
Re: New Adelaide Member
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 08:54:07 AM »
I went to an engineering firm later after that and asked if they could sort my lifting point protrusions. They will sort next week for $100.
Murray is making me a nudge bar that bolts on using the front tie down points thus making the bumper forward of the tie downs.
You can get a 3500kg tow bar which, with a long hitch fitted, would probably render the rear tie downs short of protruding beyond the towbar.
REMLR # 310, MVCA # 364, 101 Club # 2188, MHG #101
29-417 101 GS, 30-248 101 Rapier Tractor. 30-238 101
34-597 Crump & Cornish 1 ton Cargo Trailer
RT21 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer, 234-671 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer

Offline Hell-Fire

• THANKS 8
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 05:45:35 PM »
You could also buy a Defender Bumper Bar for the inspection and swap it over the minute you get home.

Having to do this at all this does my head in though I would like to see writing on how tool holders on the bonnet compromise vehicle safety.
John in Central Victoria
1991 EX Pilbara Regiment RFSV ARN 51-736
1985 Suzuki DR250 ARN 42-454
1942 Willys MB

Offline David

• THANKS 19
  • REMLR No: 478
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 09:20:26 PM »
I just got a length of threaded rod from bunnings and an old pipe with a few washers and bolted it between the lift points to remove the protrusion, then painted it camo green.  He was not happy but I told the inspector it was part of the bull bar and could he show me me anything about it that would cause it to fail.  He passed it, but the process was unpleasant.
Land Rover Perentie RFSV 50.417

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 07:50:37 PM »
Good on you David - Invention wins the day!

Frank

Offline Ellard

• REMLR Committee
  • THANKS 74
  • REMLR No: 196
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 10:13:06 AM »
Hi there - welcome to the forum

I find it strange - but my Perentie 48:005 passed rego inspection with nothing removed or covered, yet others have had to remove lifting lug and tools

Think it all depended who inspects - lots of double standards

Wayne
2 x SI 1958 LWB Fire Engine
1 x SII LWB 1961 Angus Firefly
1 x SIIA LWB 1963 Fire Tender (No 5 fire trailer)
1 x 110 48:005 Forward Command Podt

Offline ECN405

• THANKS 4
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 09:04:06 PM »
Hi Wayne,
I see you are in Pt Pirie, did you have your 110 checked at an alternate inspection centre? I went to Regency. Wonder if Lonsdale would be a worthy place to visit.

As of last Thursday I had my 2nd visit to Regency and passed, now driving around with a big smile on my face.
In all to be compliant, I had to remove rear seat (FFR) remove all tools/holders on the bonnet including the windscreen supports, remove jerry can holders on the rear and shave off rear lift lugs and front bullbar lugs too.
A local engineering firm did a very tidy job of it.

On the 2nd visit at regency the inspector went out to my 110 in the carpark on the sly and inspected. He came back and called my name out and said here you go, you passed. He added that 'we see alot of these and thats what needs to be done'

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 128
  • REMLR No: 128
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 10:20:35 PM »
You could also buy a Defender Bumper Bar for the inspection and swap it over ..........
Defender and Perentie have different front chassis rails; bumpers or bullbars designed for one won't fit the other.

There is no civvy bumper bar for the Perentie because was not available as a civvy vehicle. The model is "Military 4x4" and the bar that is on it is the factory bar that met ADR compliance when manufactured. The various registration inspectors that have issues with the barwork seem to think that the vehicle is some kind of Modified Defender, when it is actually a completely separate vehicle on it's own.

Offline Hell-Fire

• THANKS 8
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2018, 12:31:41 PM »
Fair enough on the bumper then but I would be doing anything rather than cutting up my vehicle up to satisfy inspectors who are making things up as they go along.
John in Central Victoria
1991 EX Pilbara Regiment RFSV ARN 51-736
1985 Suzuki DR250 ARN 42-454
1942 Willys MB

Offline DetV

• THANKS 15
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 10:43:56 AM »
Finally managed to get the vehicle registered this week. Its always comforting when Vehicle Standards Australia contradict the inspectors...  :-\

I'm looking for a way to secure items/valuables when I'm not in the vehicle; I came across this safe from Front Runner.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/au/front-runner-under-console-safe-land-rover-defender.html

Anyone fitted one of these? The dimensions they give aren't very specific. Alternatively anyone know if the hole already there was modified in any way for the steyr rack? Do you think this will be a direct replacement?

I ordered one of these and it arrived today. The dimensions are smaller than the Steyr rack and will require a little effort to cover the gaps.  I plan to use some aluminium angle to make up the difference, mounted to the safe and using the existing Steyr rack screw holes. 
Description of install is at
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 05:41:19 PM by DetV »
FFR MC2 "Spence" 51-490 , Haulmark 3/4ton 204973
civvy: 98 Prado, 7x4 gal trailer, FRJ1300, MX-5
de VK2KVP

Offline Twisty

• THANKS 0
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 02:25:58 PM »
Let me know how you go DetV. I'd be keen to see the finished product.

Offline Twisty

• THANKS 0
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 07:38:01 PM »
Its been a busy couple of months since getting the FFR, here are a couple of changes I've made since I got her.

First of all, those headlights needed replacing. I installed the TRAXIDE wiring harness and upgraded the lights to a pair of Trucklite's - changed the parkers and indicators to LED while i was at it.

The batteries that came with the FFR were all cactus, even after trying to repair them. So they were removed and replaced with a 12v dual battery setup. A Projecta IDC25 was installed under the passenger seat, which also allows solar input.

I made a bench for along the side of the vehicle using the antenna mounts, a piece of ply, 2 bolts, scrap wood blocks, and some wing nuts. The photo doesn't show it, but I've since given it a coat of vanish.

Offline Twisty

• THANKS 0
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 07:38:50 PM »
A false floor was added to the back, an issued trunk fits perfectly in front of it. Not seen in the photo, but i've added a strip of LED lighting around the canopy.

Inaugural camping trip over easter. Went to Hillocks Drive, SA.

Offline Twisty

• THANKS 0
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 07:39:18 PM »
Dirty Weekend MTB competition.