Author Topic: craigb's Perentie FFR and No. 5 Trailer  (Read 16521 times)

Offline craigb

• THANKS 25
  • REMLR No: 488
Re: craigb's Perentie FFR and No. 5 Trailer
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2021, 01:59:37 PM »
Mate I think you have answered the " meaning of life " question.

It's having a great, beautiful country to explore, a Land Rover and a awesome dog.

I hope the trip is a lot of fun and look forward to your updates.

Enjoy 

Mick

Thanks mate, I haven't quite found the meaning of life, but I'll get there sooner or later ;-)

A word on the RFSV or RFSV-esque bits bolted onto (or soon to be bolted onto) my FFR. None of this stuff is necessary to travel in a Perentie, but it makes it a bit easier.

Brushbar - original. Light "mass reduction" component. Purchased NOS off gumtree
Scrub rails - original. Light "mass reduction" component. Purchased NOS off Facebook marketplace.
Footwell kick vents - commercial item same as original. Purchased new off ebay.
Side panniers - reproduction. Brand new manufacture from a group buy off Facebook. These are a true, nearly exact reproduction.
Interior bins - original. These were on the original spec RFSVs before the "mass reduction" upgrades. Since I have specific places I carry fridge and tucker box, these work better for me than the later type with jerrycan racks attached.
Underslung dual jerrycan carrier - original. Purchased NOS but a bit beaten up from a well-known repairer/supplier.
Driver's side rear dual jerrycan carrier - reproduction. Brand new manufacture from a group buy off Facebook.
Dual rear tyre carrier - original. Purchased from a well-known repairer/supplier.
Rear step - reproduction. Purchased off gumtree
Rear Hi-Lift jacking points - reproduction. Purchased off gumtree

I have been surprised at the amount of good repro stuff that is out there. That's a great thing since you don't have to hunt around as much and you can leave the ridgey didge parts to collectors and restorers. Despite having some mechanical upgrades similar to the RFSV like disc brakes, power steering, etc. mine will always only ever be an FFR dressed up a bit to look like an RFSV, but no-one who knows these vehicles would ever think it WAS an RFSV.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 02:03:40 PM by craigb »
ARN 49-215 Truck, Utility, Lightweight, FFR, Winch, MC2 "Frankie" -1989
ARN 101-001 Trailer, Cargo, Ton, 2 Wheeled, Aust. No. 5 - 1963

Offline craigb

• THANKS 25
  • REMLR No: 488
Re: craigb's Perentie FFR and No. 5 Trailer
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2021, 12:48:03 PM »
The Mrs and myself are in the early stages of trip planning for another expedition in the Rover.

The basic route is Sydney NSW to Sydney NSW via:

- Perth WA
- Broome WA
- Darwin NT
- Ayers Rock NT
- Beltana SA
- Broken Hill NSW

At the moment we're looking at September/October this year. If we can't make it work by then, we'll postpone until May/June 2022. The Mrs can only get around 3 weeks off, so I'll pick her up at Broome Airport then drive her to Darwin over the course of a fortnight . At Darwin we'll pick up her mum at the airport and they'll hire a car and do the Kakadu/Katherine Gorge/Litchfield tourist trap loop. I may tag along in the land rover or I might go off and do something else. I'll see them off at Darwin airport maybe 5 days later and then start my trip south.

Last trip was my first to Ayers Rock and the whole place (and the Olgas) was packed with foreign, predominately Chinese people off tourist buses - absolutely packed. It wasn't worth stopping so I drove around it and then high tailed it out of there and didn't look back. This time I'm hoping to stop in there and have a good look around for a couple of days without the massive throngs of people. I have a good camp within sight of Ayers Rock, and far enough in off the road that there was no one else around during peak tourist season pre-COVIDs, so I'll probably use that one again.

After Ayers Rock I'll drive the Oodnadatta Track, which I haven't travelled as yet, then head home via Broken Hill.

The whole thing will probably take between 6 and 8 weeks.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 12:56:17 PM by craigb »
ARN 49-215 Truck, Utility, Lightweight, FFR, Winch, MC2 "Frankie" -1989
ARN 101-001 Trailer, Cargo, Ton, 2 Wheeled, Aust. No. 5 - 1963