Author Topic: craigb's Perentie FFR and No. 5 Trailer  (Read 16963 times)

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 63
  • REMLR No: 482
Re: craigb's Perentie FFR and No. 5 Trailer
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 01:43:55 PM »
Nice photos Craig - envious of your trip - well done mate

STDDIVER

Offline DetV

• THANKS 15
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 09:08:24 PM »
Loved the kick vents in my HJ45, so will need to install this form of air conditioning in Spence as well.

However, I don't think you will need them in Tassi in July!!
FFR MC2 "Spence" 51-490 , Haulmark 3/4ton 204973
civvy: 98 Prado, 7x4 gal trailer, FRJ1300, MX-5
de VK2KVP

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 63
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 11:01:57 AM »
Good one Criag - even more ideas!  I like the idea of the vents too - I have them on the RFSV and they are excellent -The awnings are a great idea.

Frank 

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 63
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 04:57:44 PM »
Great work Craig - I have a small ex army 1/2 size plastic box I use for keeping things I need quick access to and the dust and insects out.  They fit in rear of the vehicle and are reasonably light but strong enough to put an aluminium plate on top of and use as a small table.  Great photographs too!

Frank

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 254
  • REMLR No: 70
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 06:43:17 PM »
I don't have a 110 military vehicle, but I do own a 1984 110 Isuzu County and I fitted the same vents to my 110 about 23 years ago, one of the best things I added to it cheers Dennis

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 254
  • REMLR No: 70
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 10:37:37 AM »
G'day craigb,
mate I did this job over 25 years ago now so my memory is a little fuzzed on it, I can clearly remember though it was a bit nerve wracking marking out a perfectly good guard then cut a rectangular hole in it, anyway a few images

and open

and a few from the inside showing the distance pieces x 2 that fill in the gap

the distance piece is 1mm aluminium and is screwed to the inner footwell, hope that is of some help, cheers Dennis
ps Land Rovers leak no matter what you do LOL but I can tell you that water doesn't p**s in when driving in heavy rain cheers,,.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 07:40:20 AM »
As usual, great photos, especially no 9 in the sun.
I also got a early set of dbl jerry holders from 4x4designs. Have yet to fit them. What primer did you go with?

Offline Dopey

• THANKS 12
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 01:41:58 AM »
G'day Craig, I note with interest your comments about the passenger side dual jerry can holder and the fitment issues that you had...
I also had issues with mine, I didn't end up modifying it for mounting, I've tried it now on 4 different chassis and there is no way to fit it without relatively major modifications that I don't want to have to do.

The other interesting comment of yours is that Jason has refunded half the purchase price for the passenger side jerry can holder....

That hasn't happened for me, nor did I know anything about this refund until reading it here in your comments.
I'll be contacting him (Jason) to request the same refund as the product is obviously faulty.

Jason is well aware of the issues with the fitment of the jerry can holder that I purchased from him as he responded to most of my comments on one of the Facebook pages about his product.

Anyways, enough of my complaining,
Your pics (as always) look good!
With the extra weight at the rear, have you considered installing the D110HD/D130/RFSV/SRV helper springs or airbags inside the rear coils?

Offline craigb

• THANKS 25
  • REMLR No: 488
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2020, 12:25:27 AM »
Announcing Project FFRFSV

I have a bunch of RFSV bits in the shed, and since I'm here at home for the foreseeable future rather than travelling around northern WA like I was supposed to be, I thought I might as well convert my humble and much-messed with FFR to near-RFSV specs. Most of it is just a case of bolting on various bits.

Here's the RFSV-esque mods already done to my vehicle, both by the vehicle's previous owner and by Yours Truly:

Disc brakes all round
12V RFSV-style dual battery system
Heavy duty clutch
Helper springs in the rear
Dual jerrycan carriers
FrontRunner Cub Pack SADF ammo style box bolted to the driver's side battery slide in similar fashion to an RFSV security box
Toggle switch for compressor in vehicle interior
APT snorkel
RFSV mass reduction program brush bar - done since starting the thread
RFSV side scrub rails for the above - done since starting the thread
RFSV-style side panniers (part of Ant's recent group buy on Facebook) - done since starting the thread
RFSV dual spare wheel carrier with installation hardware - done since starting the thread
RFSV underslung jerrycan carrier - done since starting the thread

Here's the parts I have not yet installed:

Commercial 7-inch HMMWV-style 12V LED driving lights
24V M113 APC headlights (need to swap the guts with 12V units - these will be mounted as per SRV-SF IR lights, which are the same light just with an infrared filter)
A set of footwell kick vents of same make and model as the originals on an RFSV
ARB compressor, hoses and fittings - same same RFSV

I think I have all the RFSV style bits I want for the vehicle. I was after an insect screen for the grille, but don't really need one since one of the first things I did after acquiring the vehicle was to line the inside of the grille with aluminium mesh.

Here's a picture of the starting point:

It's a rather modified FFR. It's had various paintjobs, but for now it's all over camouflage brown.
It has a hard top roof panel of which I am quite fond now, as well as a very convenient FrontRunner 3/4 Defender roof rack to which I have bolted normal camping store 4WD side awnings, 2.5 x 3m.  The vehicle has long-travel suspension too. The vehicle is now fitted with Wolf rims and BFG mud terrain tyres in 7.50R16. When long distance camping I usually have the split rims and hi-milers fitted since I think they are a great tyre/wheel combo out bush.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 01:12:55 AM by craigb »
ARN 49-215 Truck, Utility, Lightweight, FFR, Winch, MC2 "Frankie" -1989
ARN 101-001 Trailer, Cargo, Ton, 2 Wheeled, Aust. No. 5 - 1963

Offline craigb

• THANKS 25
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2020, 03:06:25 PM »
Rear wheel carrier installed. The two BFG 7.50R16s fit in the carrier nicely. strapping had to be made up and a new footman loop installed. I have added an extra cargo ratchet strap which goes around the carrier and the tyres to secure everything in the unlikely event the footman loop failed like the original one did. Numberplate has been wired up and is all working. All I am missing at the moment is a pair of rear high lift jacking points.

Side panniers installed. I have tested them with 60kg on each side and will, as I have been advised, add reinforcing ribs on the inside of the body panel to stop them bowing out. As installed right now, I won't carry much more than a jerrycan either side as well as maxtrax and maybe a bit of firewood :-D

I still have to make up and install jerrycan securing straps and cable locking points for the side panniers.

I have installed the underslung jerrycan carrier once more, this time with 1 x fuel can and 1 x water can.

Next to be installed will be the RFSV brush bar and side rails.

Offline craigb

• THANKS 25
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2020, 11:09:48 PM »
Jerrycan panniers have had their dividers installed and they have been load tested to satisfaction.

Still have to drill and rivet the rubber bumpers. Hopefully the rivets I have here will be long enough. I am waiting on straps to arrive, then I'll give the side panniers another coat of Camo brown, install the all the straps and the cable locking point.

RFSV brush bar installed.

Tomorrow I am picking up suitable high tensile M8 and M10 bolts and hardware to allow me to fit the scrub rails for the bull bar.

Then I have a side project, which is adding an awning rack to my No. 5 trailer, after which I'll get back to the vehicle and probably start on the RFSV style kick vents. I'm nervous about cutting in to the guards.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2020, 08:56:09 PM »
Nice pix of Frankie wearing the new parts. Looking great. Extra capacty for jerrys is good - we may end up having to cart 'round disinfectant when on trips after the china virus clears up. Its anyone's guess. Where is your next trip going?

Offline craigb

• THANKS 25
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2020, 02:03:04 AM »
Thanks Ross.

I've calculated that I can carry the following at the moment, which helps offset the lack of a second fuel tank (also on the to-do list):

1 x fuel on rear
1 x water on rear
2 x fuel in underslung jerrycan carrier
2 x fuel in bolt-in racks inside rear
2 x fuel in left jerrycan pannier
1 x water in left jerrycan pannier
3 x fuel in right jerrycan pannier (easy to use the jiggler siphon from this position)
3 x water strapped into position inside near the bulkhead

200 litres of fuel in jerrycans, plus 65 litres in the main tank gives decent range before refueling - just the thing to avoid the Nullarbor and Stuart Highway roadhouse prices.
110 litres of water in plastic jerrycans plus a few 1 and 2 litre canteens scattered throughout the load and 2 x 6 litre water bags on front for hot climates.

Next big trip is over to Perth then up the west coast to the Pilbara and the Kimberley, all the way round to Darwin, then down the Stuart Highway to Adelaide before  heading to Melbourne via the Great Ocean Road with a detour to Ballarat. Then up the east coast to Nowra and inland home.

I'll be picking my mrs up from Broome airport and then dropping her off at Darwin airport. This simplifies camping - I'll have an awning tent for a bit more comfort for my passenger and I but the rest of the time while solo I'll be swagging it or using a jungle hammock like my last NT/FNQ trip.

I'm supposed to be starting that particular trip next month but that's unlikely. Hopefully I'll get out there before the end of the year. As soon as travel restrictions in NSW are lifted I'll be taking off - somewhere. Maybe Hill End, Sofala or Yerranderie?

Latest bit of work done on the vehicle was to install the side rails.

Next job will be the No. 5 trailer awning rack and then I'll tackle the RFSV style kick vents on the vehicle.

Offline craigb

• THANKS 25
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2020, 05:26:11 PM »
A lot of folks in my area will be Standing-To at Dawn on ANZAC Day this year, so my vehicle will be helping my village commemorate by doing a slow drive past through the streets between 0530 and 0700.

Accordingly I thought it was appropriate to give it some of its military heritage back, so aside from the blingy military bits I've been steadily bolting on over the last few days, I stencilled the original ARN onto the bullbar and the tailgate, and stencilled the vehicle's name "Frankie" onto the bonnet.

I'll set it up with jerrycans, camo nets, webbing sets and packs hanging off it in places so hopefully from a distance it will look more like a military vehicle than the long range touring and camping vehicle I have been using it as.

Here's some pics:

I made up some jerrycan straps for the repro RFSV side baskets. All webbing and hardware is authentic since it was cannibalised from a pair of RFSV interior cargo strap sets purchased from Landybitz in QLD.

Vehicle has its ARN back...

Name stencilled on the bonnet. Stencil placement was inspired by LRPV "One Fitty" on display at the AWM.

Racks all loaded up with fuel and water jerrycans, packs and rations. Hopefully it'll look authentic military from a distance. One day I'll bite the bullet and give it a cam paint job for ANZAC Day, but with that hardtop panel it's going to be hard to make it look anywhere approaching authentic.

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 63
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2020, 05:29:06 PM »
Good on you Craig!   Well done that man!