Author Topic: On the Mat?  (Read 2472 times)

Offline John Gordon

• THANKS 6
On the Mat?
« on: July 14, 2017, 06:49:12 PM »
Folks, in a few photos of members FFRs I note some have rubber mats on the floor in the rear radio compartment area. Whilst there are not that many in-service photos (of floors), particularly of Perentie 110s, I have never seen any sign of a mat in the rear or remains of such in vehicles at auction. Further the wear on the floors of most suggest there was nothing there. Just wondering if service vehicles had a covering and if so or not, what are the implications for safety - static electricity, electrical insulation, trip hazard? If so,  what sort of mats were used?
thanks,
jag

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 257
  • REMLR No: 218
Re: On the Mat?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 01:31:20 PM »
jag,

A few of my guys had them in the back of FFRs just to help keep the cold out. Hours and hours on end doing shift work in the back... particularly in the southern states in winter.... brrrrrrr

Good question, thanks for that.

Cheers.
Series 2A SWB 113-300 VTF  6 RAR
Perentie FFR 49-390  1 MP BN
Perentie GS 50-087  5 RAR

Offline John Gordon

• THANKS 6
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 07:54:29 PM »
Hi Agas, what sort of mats were they - flat rubber sheet, ribbed rubber sheet, octagonal rubber sheet with alternating holes?
thanks,

John

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 257
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 08:23:30 PM »
Gosh... so long ago :)

It was flat black rubber, under 1cm but not sure of actual thickness.

Cheers.

Offline John Gordon

• THANKS 6
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 09:39:19 PM »
Agas, thanks for this. Sounds like the rubber belt type mat they are using for the front floors? While you are recalling conditions in effectively what was your mobile office could you advise on some other questions I had:
1. Seating: was there any additional or improvised seating other than the standard jump seats provided. I have seen only one photo of a small swivel stool with a back rest in a FFR Perentie on this site. It looked good though it appeared a bit bulky for a unit on the move with all their kit to carry as well.
2. Given you would have been in the rear of the FFR for long periods, were you permitted to drink, eat and smoke around the radios?

thank you,

jag

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 257
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 10:32:41 PM »
The small swivel stool was standard issue for the FFRs.  But I expect as time progressed a lot were misplaced or broken and not replaced.... or there's a wharehouse full of them somewhere  ;D

You could have a brew in the back and snacks. Having a meal outside of the FFR was a good way to have a break from the radios.

No smoking in the vehicles at all. No smoking in the canvas tents either.  Some ignored this from time to time  :-\

Also no sleeping under the cam nets.... I've seen the poles snap when it's windy and spear into the ground...

We had clocks as well. They were white, rectangle in shape and about 20L x 15H x 10D (cm). They had the flip type numbers and ran off D cell batteries I think. We usually had two - one on local time and the other on Zulu (GMT). They were usually zip tied to a horizontal canopy frame, behind a radio.

In the early years we used the old 500W generator to keep the batteries charged up. Later on (mid to late 90s) we used either a 1.3 or 2.5 Kva generator, depending on if it was a light or medium radio detachment. I believe the 1.3 was phased out later on, but I don't know when.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:37:20 PM by AGAS 5 »

Offline John Gordon

• THANKS 6
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 11:13:37 PM »
Agas,

thanks for these insights, it starts to provide a picture of signals operators set up in the FFRs. The clocks certainly make sense. I noticed in 1 picture what looked like a couple of cheap rectangular plastic baskets that were perched on top of the radios containing documents, books ,files and the like. Someone mentioned to me that to make my rear compartment look more realistic I should have a can of coke and a chew bar laying by one of the tables.

regards,

Jag

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 53
  • REMLR No: 20
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 09:37:17 AM »
I think you are talking about a photo like this John?

Interesting about the swivel seat Pete, we need to find that warehouse.  8)

I would also be interested in one of these for the FFT, if anyone ever finds any....

Cheers,

Mike.

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 53
  • REMLR No: 20
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 09:39:02 AM »
Is it possible that this vehicle has a section of carpet on the floor?

Can't seem to find a DSN in the RPS for this one!

Offline John Gordon

• THANKS 6
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 08:53:39 PM »
Thanks, yes that's the one. This looks to be a plush, up-market office with as you say, some carpet. I saw two brand new (chrome) workshop stools very similar to this one at a mates workshop that he had imported from the USA. The only issue was they were full height about the size of a barstool and height adjustable. Need to keep searching and in the meantime rely on my custom green milk crate!

I attended the AMVCS Military Muster at the Menangle (Campbelltown) Steam and Machinery Museum with my FFR today. Great roll up of MVs including several Perenties, 2 Mogs and many WW2 vehicles. One of my visitors was with Army Signals. When I asked about the clock/s (mentioned by Agas) he said they had to supply their own and in fact he used an alarm clock, the loud ticking of which annoyed some folks. He must have worked in warmer climes as he said his floors were bare. Thanks to Agas we now have a better idea of the setup of this vital coms. office on the move. I think I heard this ex Army Sigs guy correctly - he mentioned that he worked with a pair of vehicles. In something like 12 minutes they backed them together, set up camo nets, aerials and were operational. Another comment made by a passing ex Soldier was that the Sigs vehicle was a prime target!

regards,

jag 

Offline John Gordon

• THANKS 6
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 11:59:17 PM »
Folks, in recent Sydney auctions, I have noted 2 FFRs which still retain original flat, unpatterned rubber mats fitted to the rear floors, just as described by Agas.