Author Topic: Perentie 110 FFR Variations  (Read 33076 times)

Offline John Gordon

• THANKS 6
Perentie 110 FFR Variations
« on: July 04, 2017, 10:45:27 PM »
Folks, as a keen collector of WW2 jeeps there is much discussion about minor variations that occurred in the Standardised Jeep over the period late 1941 through late 45 when production stopped. Changes were introduced with the manufacturing process in Willys Overland and Ford Motor Company as well as field modifications. As an owner of an ex RAAF FFR 110 (ARN 231198 dod 9/1990), I have been visiting the auctions at Minto for over 6 months noting and photographing most vehicles though I tend to focus on FFRs. Just wondering if someone has compiled a list of variations that others can add to. From my observation there certainly are not as many as theWW2 jeep however I have noted several. Many will be production mods and some field or depot mods as the need arose. List to date for FFRs (winch or non winch):

1. Early "coat hanger" bullbar; later strengthened bullbar
2. Round chassis cross-member under gearbox; square section cross-member under gearbox.
3. Even rear chassis "steps" covering convoy lights; uneven "steps" right about 1-2 cm wider
4. Tie down rings in the rear area (similar to GS);the usual nil (expect this is a depot mod)
5. Early type, silver finish  extinguisher bracket (cup type base) most likely ex BCF extinguisher; later, flat section, gold coloured  bracket for Dry Powder extinguisher.
6. Early, narrow type seats (can't recall brand); later, wider seats (can't recall brand)
7. Early type "step down" on inside rear of vehicle over wheel arch to rear panel; later straight section over wheel arch to rear panel
8. Standard rectangular flat topped brake reservoir; depot replaced sloping top brake reservoir (ex Falcon with sloping bonnet?)
9. Rear Land Rover sign on left side; on right side
10. Rear Land Rover sign in plastic; later sticker.
11. Front name sticker "110"; front sticker "Land Rover 110"
12. Front grill attached plastic oval Land Rover badge; no badge
13. Sugar scoop aerial mount "full type"; Sugar scoop aerial mount "cut out" type with top corners cut out to lighten
14. Semi circular mount bracket/s on rear jerrycan holders for Clark Masts; nil brackets
15. Standard locker locks; latches/padlock hasps to outside lockers (depot mods for security?)
16. Black padding on inner door skins; nil padding (always fitted an fallen off or never fitted?)
17. Land Rover brand original matts; conveyor belt rubber mats screwed down; conveyor belt mats not screwed down
18. Early "rectangular" steering centre hub; later "rounder/sloping top" centre steering wheel hub
19. Standard 4 spoke steering wheel; "boomerang", cushioned steering wheel as per 6x6 (depot mod?)
20. Presumably early SLR barrel clips (and base mount?); later Steyr clips (and base mount)?
21. Early Steeltrek tyres; later Michelin tyres
22. Steel Radio tables; aluminium radio tables
23. Rear "jump seat" cushions in green vinyl; rear "jump seats" in canvas (depot mod?)
17.  Horizontal metal brackets inner sides of rear compartment behind driver and passenger seats (for Raven sets); nil
18. Standard vent air intake; short "shark fin" snorkel/intake
19. Driving lights as per RFSV; standard nil (saw a posting re this on the site)
20. Standard jerrycan mounts; double "vertical" jerrycan mounts as per RFSV (depot mod)
21. Distribution box outlet caps metal type; plastic type
22. Standard black faced ammeter gauge on centre console; later 1/2 black 1/2 white ammeter gauge (in service replacement?)
23. Early camo style paint; later camo style paint
24. Early style black wheel arches; painted wheel arches (I know this is paint only however still affects appearance)
25. Winch fitted however not noted on dataplate as winch type (depot mod?)
26. Early metal diesel plunger bleed pump; later plastic plunger bleed pump
27. As for all Perenties "original" silver fittings motor; reconditioned "black" motor

Jag

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
Re: Perentie 110 FFR Variations
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 11:05:46 PM »
Wow comprehensive list and I agree with everything. Seats are ISRI, both new and old. I did think of something else but forgot by the time I got to the end!

Cheers
Scott
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline Diana Alan

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 108
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 11:21:51 PM »
Wow comprehensive list and I agree with everything. Seats are ISRI, both new and old. I did think of something else but forgot by the time I got to the end!

Cheers
Scott
Except for the seats made by Stratos.  The main difference between the Isri (both early and late) is that they have a removable cushion on the passenger's side where the Stratos have no removable cushion and are instead on a special frame hinged on the RHS so the whole seat tilts sideways to access the battery box.  It seems that the Stratos seats were fitted to some MY91 and later vehicles.

C Ya
Diana
REMLR 240.
Perentie FFR 50-422, SIII FFR 30-146, SIIA GunBuggy 112-726, Mk3 Inter 170-437, ex-SADF SIIB/SIII Radio Relay,
Army Trailers: No5 x 2, W/S x 2, PT1-1.2, Horndraulic ATR dog trailer.
Civilian: MY85 RRc HiLine 4.6, MY51 ex-RACQ 80", MY91 Defender/Reynolds Boughton 6x6, MY12 D4 SDV6

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 08:27:40 AM »

Cheers
Scott
Except for the seats made by Stratos.  The main difference between the Isri (both early and late) is that they have a removable cushion on the passenger's side where the Stratos have no removable cushion and are instead on a special frame hinged on the RHS so the whole seat tilts sideways to access the battery box.  It seems that the Stratos seats were fitted to some MY91 and later vehicles.

C Ya
Diana

Thanks Diana

Haven't seen those seats before.

Regards
Scott
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 260
  • REMLR No: 218
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 10:19:11 AM »
That's a great list John. Thanks for taking the time to compile it.

Cheers,

Pete
Series 2A SWB 113-300 VTF  6 RAR
Perentie FFR 49-390  1 MP BN
Perentie GS 50-087  5 RAR

Offline John Gordon

• THANKS 6
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 10:39:11 AM »
Folks thanks for the feedback. These are only my personal observations based on 6 months of examining 110s particularly the FFRs. Those who have been around these vehicles for longer will no doubt have other observations. I would welcome  the input on my observations if they are early/ late. eg., when was the reinforced bullbar introduced, made by ARB or off road equipment supplier?

Another difference with the Early and Late ISRI seats, the early seat cushions are held in with pins only and can be pulled out easily. The later type has a small release catch at the front.

A few months back I spoke to a supplier of components for Project Perentie. I am not sure I heard this correct - the early types (like the civilian?) front door pockets were aluminium and then changed to fibreglass. He mentioned the small facia with the 2 gauges in the dash centre on the FFR was originally covered in "marvieplate" ( I may have spelt it incorrectly. It appears this was a sort of black vinyl coated metal finish. When this was discontinued they used a crackle finish black paint. 

Whilst not a "difference" as such, I would like to resolve another observation. On some FFRs one sees a large aluminium "washer/spacer" remaining on the sugar scoop aerial mount. These don't work with the later matching aerial base units. Someone told me they were for an earlier radio/aerial type. Would appreciate some advice on this. I have managed to gather a couple out of interest.

thanks,

jag

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 10:43:31 AM »
Thx John, excellent.

Also for cross-ref http://www.remlr.com/perentie-ffr.html

Both our FFRs, 50-169 and 50-257 had aluminium radio tables.

A handful from East Timor had a front and rear ROPS hoop. So far confirmed 48-975 and 48-753.

http://remlr.com/forum/index.php?topic=5079.0

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 10:47:13 AM »
To add, the interior rear light, red and white:
http://remlr.com/forum/index.php?topic=777.0

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 11:01:26 AM »
Yes the door pockets are either Al or fibreglass. Also early have glass fuses later blade fuses.
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline John Gordon

• THANKS 6
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 11:40:06 AM »
thanks for adding to the list, does someone know how to make it a sticky list that can be added to?

Re the comment on the double ROPS. It solves an issue I had with an Defence website heavily cropped photo of a signalman in a Perentie. The imaged looked to be mirrored as there was a ROPS bar to the left and right of the signaller - now I know why!

jag

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 148
  • REMLR No: 282
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 07:41:14 PM »
Done  :)
s111 GS, no 5, xt600 & Ferret mk2
Geoff C

Offline Diana Alan

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 108
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 07:59:20 PM »

C Ya
Diana
Thanks Diana

Haven't seen those seats before.

Regards
Scott
The Stratos are common in the 6x6 variants but many made it into the 4x4s as well.
REMLR 240.
Perentie FFR 50-422, SIII FFR 30-146, SIIA GunBuggy 112-726, Mk3 Inter 170-437, ex-SADF SIIB/SIII Radio Relay,
Civilian: MY85 RRc HiLine 4.6, MY51 ex-RACQ 80", MY91 Defender/Reynolds Boughton 6x6, MY12 D4 SDV6

Offline John Gordon

• THANKS 6
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 09:40:16 PM »
Another small variation I recalled today:
28. Early tool locker floor - no drain hole; late floor drain hole/s
Also confirmed that the solid type "sugar scoop" aerial mount are the early type in mild steel. The later type is the cut-out/lightweight version made of galvanised steel.

regards,

Jag

Offline Sixty

• THANKS 77
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 04:38:46 PM »
1. Early "coat hanger" bullbar; later strengthened bullbar the later 'ARB' brushguard was a updated replacement part
2. Round chassis cross-member under gearbox; square section cross-member under gearbox. later 49 / 50 / 51 /202 series ARNs had an updated chassis x mbr
3. Even rear chassis "steps" covering convoy lights; uneven "steps" right about 1-2 cm wider yep....random dodyness from LR
4. Tie down rings in the rear area (similar to GS);the usual nil (expect this is a depot mod) Illegal / incorrectly modified
5. Early type, silver finish  extinguisher bracket (cup type base) most likely ex BCF extinguisher; later, flat section, gold coloured  bracket for Dry Powder extinguisher. pfft...there was approx 4 variants of fire ext brk...and slight changes in mounting position depending on the wpn and numpty fitting it
6. Early, narrow type seats (can't recall brand); later, wider seats (can't recall brand)approx 4 different types of seats, including random fitments of 6by seats to a 4by
7. Early type "step down" on inside rear of vehicle over wheel arch to rear panel; later straight section over wheel arch to rear panel ??
8. Standard rectangular flat topped brake reservoir; depot replaced sloping top brake reservoir (ex Falcon with sloping bonnet?) srong possability contractor fitted falcon reservoir/lid instead of 'square' res.
9. Rear Land Rover sign on left side; on right side
10. Rear Land Rover sign in plastic; later sticker.
11. Front name sticker "110"; front sticker "Land Rover 110"
12. Front grill attached plastic oval Land Rover badge; no badge fitted to late ARNs..most likely souvenired..
13. Sugar scoop aerial mount "full type"; Sugar scoop aerial mount "cut out" type with top corners cut out to lighten AMU...aerial mounting unit
14. Semi circular mount bracket/s on rear jerrycan holders for Clark Masts; nil brackets CES to the Clark mast, should have been removed.
15. Standard locker locks; latches/padlock hasps to outside lockers (depot mods for security?) early ces bins had 2x over cenrre clips...hasp n staple provide security.
16. Black padding on inner door skins; nil padding (always fitted an fallen off or never fitted?)replacement door...sound deadner not replaced
17. Land Rover brand original matts; conveyor belt rubber mats screwed down; conveyor belt mats not screwed downearly 'mod'...save money buy using insertion rubber
18. Early "rectangular" steering centre hub; later "rounder/sloping top" centre steering wheel hub later thicker wheel with diff centre was fitted to 200-202 series LRs, and eventually a replacement part
19. Standard 4 spoke steering wheel; "boomerang", cushioned steering wheel as per 6x6 (depot mod?) as above
20. Presumably early SLR barrel clips (and base mount?); later Steyr clips (and base mount)? pics..?.
21. Early Steeltrek tyres; later Michelin tyres yep...
22. Steel Radio tables; aluminium radio tables yep...changed from 77/vincent to raven suite
23. Rear "jump seat" cushions in green vinyl; rear "jump seats" in canvas (depot mod?) radio operator seat! More than likely recovered by contractors
17.  Horizontal metal brackets inner sides of rear compartment behind driver and passenger seats (for Raven sets); nil yep...mod to suit raven radios...'must be fitted'.
18. Standard vent air intake; short "shark fin" snorkel/intake sposed to fitted to only select/approced vehicles
19. Driving lights as per RFSV; standard nil (saw a posting re this on the site) local or illegal mod (oem lights/wiring c r a p
20. Standard jerrycan mounts; double "vertical" jerrycan mounts as per RFSV (depot mod) ilegal or local mod
21. Distribution box outlet caps metal type; plastic type updated replacement parts
22. Standard black faced ammeter gauge on centre console; later 1/2 black 1/2 white ammeter gauge (in service replacement?)
23. Early camo style paint; later camo style paint varied by difderent contractors
24. Early style black wheel arches; painted wheel arches (I know this is paint only however still affects appearance)
25. Winch fitted however not noted on dataplate as winch type (depot mod?) two different variants...FFR or FFR W/W
26. Early metal diesel plunger bleed pump; later plastic plunger bleed pump updated replacement parts
27. As for all Perenties "original" silver fittings motor; reconditioned "black" motor;
28. Early tool locker floor - no drain hole; late floor drain hole/s Ces bin drain hole was a mod
29. ROPS - approx 8 FFRs were modified to carry/protect gunnery computers
30. Red/white operators light - standard fitment
Aaand there are plenty of other small differences   8)
RoyalAustralianEasyMoneyEarner!

Al

Offline Diana Alan

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 108
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 06:28:31 PM »
1. <snip> ...
...<snip>
4. Tie down rings in the rear area (similar to GS);the usual nil (expect this is a depot mod) Illegal / incorrectly modified
5. <snip> ...
If these were illegal/unit mods, wouldn't they have been removed during a Tennix/BAE full rebuild?  A mate has an FFR that is fitted with the cargo rings but the vehicle was never issued after the rebuild.

Is there any chance that it was an upgrade made on the rebuild line?
REMLR 240.