Author Topic: Anzac Day 2017  (Read 7991 times)

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
Re: Anzac Day 2017
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 04:50:14 PM »
Sorry not following your point on the flag bit.  It is our national emblem, we fought under the flag (as per its design of the day), the flag precedes the marchers and in my 30 years in the military the flag or a version of it was always nearby - I saluted it a 8.00 on every work day and when duty, saluted it at 8.00 and at sunset.

I think it is an integral part of our remembrance of those who served and who fell.

Garry

Yeah I understand that, I just don't get flags hanging off vehicles driving up and down the roads for no specific purpose nor do I get flags being worn/wrapped around people
Flying the Australian flag on your car is racist, apparently.
https://www.gympietimes.com.au/news/slapping-aussie-flag-car-could-mean-you-are-racist/2905356/

That's interesting.

I'm actually a 5th generation Aussie and therefore my kids are 6th gen (and actually 7th on my wife's side), my Great grandfather was killed in flanders in WW1, my grandfather fought in New Guinea as a code breaker and.................

but I have no want to fly the flag on my vehicle at Anzac parades to prove I support Australia - I am Australian!

anyway getting too political now......................
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 260
  • REMLR No: 218
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 06:26:48 PM »
I think that educated idiot is a racist for asking leading questions against an act of patriotism.

Cheers.
Series 2A SWB 113-300 VTF  6 RAR
Perentie FFR 49-390  1 MP BN
Perentie GS 50-087  5 RAR

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 06:31:28 PM »
Back on track..... this is one of my vehicles at a local Ballarat RSL.
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
  • REMLR No: 20
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 06:51:59 PM »
A bit damp in Melbourne yesterday, although the showers held off for most of the march.

Here is 178 193 waiting for some customers in a fairly recognisable spot!

Sadly, I couldn't stay for the march this year.

Did you get any customers? There seems to be a growing trend amongst the ANZAC day marches of preferring classic cars over military vehicles.

Actually Mick, I thought that the march was slightly better this year.  The number of show and shine vehicles was a lot lower, probably due to the weather.

Our VMVC Marshall was very pro active, and had a pivotal role in assigning the vehicles, which was a refreshing change.

I did two runs in the march, the first was for a WW2 commando vet,(terrific to meet him and an honour to provide his transport - apparently there are only four veterans from his unit left.)

The second was for the combined NASHO group.

When they saw the Rolls Royce and the Mustangs, all of the NASHO blokes needing transport decided to use those vehicles instead of the 2A. Up to them of course, eventually I was asked to follow the marchers in case any of them needed to drop out. Driving the entire march route hoping that someone would get a bit tired was not exactly what I had driven 75km into town for, but there you go I guess.....

I have found in the past that most veterans actually prefer the military vehicles, I don't know why they decided on the cars, could have been the weather or maybe type of vets in this case?

As I have said in the past, in my opinion, Anyone who has anything to do with any of the marches anywhere else would be strongly advised NOT to allow any non military vehicles into any aspect of the ANZAC day commemoration. Some very nice vehicles, but I can't help thinking that they just wanted to go to a big car show in the city, that was on a very convenient public holiday.

And no, they didn't ask if they could have a rest on the back of my vehicle (whoever they were?), I wonder what they would have said if I had jumped up onto their car?

Offline Marlin

• THANKS 10
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 08:23:44 PM »
I can sympathise with you Mike, mine was the only military vehicle at our local Anzac day in Qld. The rest belonged to car club members, they were nice vehicles but I don't think American muscle cars etc. should form an Anzac day parade.
I was however asked to lead the parade and had a 95 yr. old veteran in the Perentie with me. 

Offline pop058

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 21
  • REMLR No: 256
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 09:03:11 PM »
Numbers at the dawn service seemed to be down on last year in Bundy but the citizens service was great with lots of youth  :)

3 Rovers and 5 Jeeps carrying the Diggers.

Some of the crowd

My drive for the day
some 2A & S3 workshops and trailers
2A GS

Offline David

• THANKS 19
  • REMLR No: 478
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 09:12:00 PM »
The military section of the Veteran Car Club provided vehicles to transport veterans in Perth, There were 17 or 18 military vehicles in the parade carrying veterans including Jeeps, Land Rovers, ambulances etc. 
Land Rover Perentie RFSV 50.417

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
  • REMLR No: 70
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 07:11:53 PM »
I had all my Series military vehicles in our local parade, we carried 10 veterans in 8 vehicles, and some G/children and one with 4 staff members of the local Ex Services club (all females) the car brigade didn't show this year, I didn't ask why I just know they were not there, anyway a shot of my fleet with 2 vehicles obscured by those in front
http://imgur.com/CmDnu20
after the parade, veterans were dropped off, I had told my crew that we were not staying for the service, as I'm a bit tired of unruly kids, women with big bags dumping them on the guards etc, I wanted to get a few shots from the air with one of my drones, here is an images from 50 feet up
http://imgur.com/OLECfq6
the weather was very kind, warm in fact, rain was forecast and it rained much later in the day after all n sundry were parked away in their respective spots, I have kept my ears open and still haven't heard why the car club wasn't there, a chap was there ?? un-invited in his 4 x 4Mog, he was parked way behind us, no older veterans would have been able to get into his vehicle, he had a small boy ? son? maybe he thought it was a show n shine as well, he would need to make n carry a small staircase to get anyone up into it, anyway another year has passed, it only seems like a fortnight since the last one cheers dennis

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
  • REMLR No: 20
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 08:33:59 PM »
Great photos Dennis, terrific to see the fleet out doing what they do best.

Offline Diana Alan

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 108
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 03:38:27 AM »
Took 2 Ferrets (Mk1/2 and Mk2) and a SIII Lightweight to the Dawn Service at Lowtha NSW, if anyone knows the place its merely a cemetery and an ANZAC memorial on the Jenolan Caves Rd more than 150 people attended, in fact more people than usually attend the service in my own suburb of 50K+ local residents.

Then later in the day the Lithgow Parade, Lightweight, 2 Ferrets, Saldin, Saracen and M3 Halftrack.

Sorry no piccies ATM.
REMLR 240.
Perentie FFR 50-422, SIII FFR 30-146, SIIA GunBuggy 112-726, Mk3 Inter 170-437, ex-SADF SIIB/SIII Radio Relay,
Army Trailers: No5 x 2, W/S x 2, PT1-1.2, Horndraulic ATR dog trailer.
Civilian: MY85 RRc HiLine 4.6, MY51 ex-RACQ 80", MY91 Defender/Reynolds Boughton 6x6, MY12 D4 SDV6

Offline firehawk

• THANKS 7
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 06:30:08 AM »
Melbourne - I did one run and then drove to Minto. Here are the couple I took.

S
ARN 230032 GS W/W
No. 5 - 154644

Offline David

• THANKS 19
  • REMLR No: 478
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2017, 08:10:34 PM »
How many kids can fit on a RFSV?  I had 30 on her at one stage but was a bit slow with the camera.  The Singleton Primary School choir at the Comet Bay College Anzac Commemoration misinterpreted my comment that thy could jump on to mean all at once.  Great Kids and a really good commemoration.
Land Rover Perentie RFSV 50.417