Author Topic: No.5 Trailer info needed  (Read 3436 times)

Offline Taggsy

• THANKS 4
No.5 Trailer info needed
« on: March 28, 2017, 07:07:16 PM »
Hi all,

I recently purchased a trailer from Grays Auctions and am wondering anyone can help with a couple of questions I have. I am after this info to fill out the QLD trailer self assessment form

Does anyone know what the official (correct) lunette ring rating is? If you were made to stamp it what would you put? (I have been suggested 2250kg and 2500kg)
and what the axle rating is? (my googleing would suggest with the axle being approx 48mm diam and the trailer using parallel bearings it could be 1600kg?)

I have attached part of the form so you can see what I mean. In the 'trailer details' they ask for axle rating and towball coupling rating.
What have others in QLD put on this form?   

Many thanks for any and all help
1966 No.5 1/2 Ton,  ARN 173-171, Chassis ADI1511

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 105
  • REMLR No: 310
Re: No.5 Trailer info needed
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 07:28:39 PM »
It doesn't matter what the ratings are, because they have no brakes, the maximum ATM for registration purposes is 750kg. Any higher and you will have to fit brakes.

Have a read of this.
http://www.remlr.com/documents/EMEI/H020%20-%20Data%20Summary%20Old.PDF
REMLR # 310, MVCA # 364, 101 Club # 2188, MHG #101
29-417 101 GS, 30-248 101 Rapier Tractor. 30-238 101
34-597 Crump & Cornish 1 ton Cargo Trailer
RT21 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer, 234-671 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer

Offline Taggsy

• THANKS 4
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 11:30:22 PM »
It doesn't matter what the ratings are, because they have no brakes, the maximum ATM for registration purposes is 750kg. Any higher and you will have to fit brakes.

Have a read of this.

Thanks for that Mick, I have a copy of that one on PC. I guess if it doesn't really matter what the ratings are I'll just put down what I reckon. You would think though that if everyone who registers one of these in QLD (being the same trailers) and everyone has different ratings on the paperwork that the Transport Department would start to wonder what was up  :o
I guess I just figured they would have to have some official numbers somewhere for those parts 

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 10:16:28 AM »

Have a read of this.

Thanks for that Mick, I have a copy of that one on PC. I guess if it doesn't really matter what the ratings are I'll just put down what I reckon. You would think though that if everyone who registers one of these in QLD (being the same trailers) and everyone has different ratings on the paperwork that the Transport Department would start to wonder what was up  :o
I guess I just figured they would have to have some official numbers somewhere for those parts

That would make sense wouldn't it... but that's too much to ask ;)

In NSW I couldn't register mine with the lunette as I didn't realise it had to be stamped until after I went for the blueslip (ours all need to be inspected for initial rego).  If I'd know I would have stamped it with "ADI 2000kg" and all would be good.  I  did stamp a VIN on it though so that helped.  I was changing the lunette out anyway so no big deal but lots get through with nothing on them with no changes and some get knocked back on everything.  Mine was knocked back on everything except the VIN :) So I had to change the lights, fit mud flaps, add reflectors, change the lunette out and fit rated chains.  In the end all things I was going to do but there is just no consistency which makes it a real pain in NSW to get rego on them.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 105
  • REMLR No: 310
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 01:56:20 PM »
How do you fit a "rated" chain? The moment you weld it, you are heat treating the link you weld and it then loses it's rating.

Geez, life is hard for you Queenslanders. Here in Vic., to register a No5 all that is needed to be done is a simple form filled out and your money paid. About $70 per year. No inspection.
REMLR # 310, MVCA # 364, 101 Club # 2188, MHG #101
29-417 101 GS, 30-248 101 Rapier Tractor. 30-238 101
34-597 Crump & Cornish 1 ton Cargo Trailer
RT21 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer, 234-671 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer

Offline juddy

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 62
    • www.landybitz.com.au
  • REMLR No: 352
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 02:35:36 PM »
I did mine last year for QLD same form, I just put 3500kg for the load rating. they had more issues with the workshop trailer than the number5, the number 5 was on there system anyway.
1991 110 Truck Surveillance (RFSV), Winch MC2 *51-656*
2004 Truck, Carryall, Lightweight, Modified Military Special, With Winch, MC2/3 205-301, Haulmark PT1-1.2 *205090* No5 Trailer

Images 2008-2017 J Burton

Offline Taggsy

• THANKS 4
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 02:47:51 PM »

Have a read of this.

In NSW I couldn't register mine with the lunette as I didn't realise it had to be stamped until after I went for the blueslip (ours all need to be inspected for initial rego).  If I'd know I would have stamped it with "ADI 2000kg" and all would be good.  I  did stamp a VIN on it though so that helped.  I was changing the lunette out anyway so no big deal but lots get through with nothing on them with no changes and some get knocked back on everything.  Mine was knocked back on everything except the VIN :) So I had to change the lights, fit mud flaps, add reflectors, change the lunette out and fit rated chains.  In the end all things I was going to do but there is just no consistency which makes it a real pain in NSW to get rego on them.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve, this is exactly the sort of info I'm after. I reckon I will stamp mine just in case I get stopped by one of those transport guys that usually deals with prime movers. They are pretty thorough when looking for issues.  Is 2000kg just a number you thought sounded right or its actual rating?

NSW has it way harder than QLD when it comes to all this stuff, read so many stories like this one.

Offline Taggsy

• THANKS 4
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 04:50:20 PM »
Hi Guys,
So I went and registered the trailer using 'ADI1511' as the chassis number.

The Lady at the counter said because it was ex Army I wouldn't have proof of origin as it had never been registered, which would mean I would have to jump through all sorts of hoops and inspections, to which I said "actually, I do have proof of origin, this is my Grays Auction receipt and they are the company that directly sells off the Army equipment, so, proof of origin"
She then went off to talk to a supervisor who said it was fine to register as a 'category 4, pre 1988' trailer and they wouldn't need to inspect it.
She then put it in the system as Brand 'ADI' model 'ATM up to 1.02T'. I then politely asked if the model could be changed to 'No 5' as there are about 3 others registered like that. She said they are meant to put it as 'ATM up to 1.02T' as it is a light trailer, but after about 5 minutes of her searching the database and not finding it (and me telling her how to spell 'No 5' :o) she said "oh, we do have that listed.." and she changed it for me.
So now it is correctly entered as 'ADI' and 'No 5' as model, '1966' as year ;D 
Only thing I was told I would have to do is also stamp 'ATM 750kg' on the trailer somewhere (I actually haven't stamped chassis number or anything yet)

I used 1600kg for axle rating and 2500kg for tow ball coupling rating. Hopefully all this is of some help to others in the future.

Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated. Now I just need to source spare wheel, canopy bow and canopy  :)

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 05:30:52 PM »
How do you fit a "rated" chain? The moment you weld it, you are heat treating the link you weld and it then loses it's rating.

Geez, life is hard for you Queenslanders. Here in Vic., to register a No5 all that is needed to be done is a simple form filled out and your money paid. About $70 per year. No inspection.

You can weld a rated chain as long as the trailer is less than 3500kg, you can't weld the the "T" grade chain required for over 3500kg.

Cheers
Steve

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 05:32:03 PM »
Thanks Steve, this is exactly the sort of info I'm after. I reckon I will stamp mine just in case I get stopped by one of those transport guys that usually deals with prime movers. They are pretty thorough when looking for issues.  Is 2000kg just a number you thought sounded right or its actual rating?

NSW has it way harder than QLD when it comes to all this stuff, read so many stories like this one.

The 2000kg would have just been a guess, and well within what the trailer would be rated for.

Cheers
Steve

Offline craigb

• THANKS 24
  • REMLR No: 488
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 09:09:53 PM »

Have a read of this.

Cheers
Steve

Crazy.

The previous owner got mine rego'd in NSW and it's still in rego until June. Aside from a VIN stamped on the drawbar and the NATO plug swapped out for a flat 7-pin civvy jobbie, it's all as it was in army service.
ARN 49-215 Truck, Utility, Lightweight, FFR, Winch, MC2 "Frankie" -1989
ARN 101-001 Trailer, Cargo, Ton, 2 Wheeled, Aust. No. 5 - 1963

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 148
  • REMLR No: 282
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 10:03:39 PM »
My no 5 is as sold at the auction only a vin stamped in the draw bar I use a trailer board if I tow it behind the disco it uses the nato plug if behind the series 3 :) In NSW :)
s111 GS, no 5, xt600 & Ferret mk2
Geoff C

Offline Taggsy

• THANKS 4
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 11:45:44 PM »
I have a 12 pin Nato socket coming which I will install on the 80 series next to the 7pin. Apart from wanting to keep the trailer as stock as possible, it will stop people asking to borrow it cause it wont have a civvy plug  ;)

Offline B 52

• THANKS 49
  • REMLR No: 092
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 04:43:54 PM »
Lunettes are 3000kg rating
REMLR 092 Mk 4 Inter 172-571 S2A Survey Topographical  112-833 S2A GS 114-352 S2A GS 172-456 S3 FFR 30-857 S3 FFR 31-011 Perentie FFR 48-964 RFSV 51 678, No 5 trailers 101-025,154-267, 154-640

Offline Taggsy

• THANKS 4
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 09:04:47 PM »
Lunettes are 3000kg rating

Thanks B 52, is that an actual official military/manufacturer rating for the no.5's Lunette? Would be great to know for sure (if for no other reason now other than just to know) as it hasn't been easy info to find...