Author Topic: Perentie Hazard Switch & Indicator Hassles  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 156
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
Perentie Hazard Switch & Indicator Hassles
« on: March 26, 2017, 07:32:03 PM »
I have a indicator issue at the moment.

During the downpour on the Calder Fwy last week or due to the "Prince of darkness" I have had no driver driven indicators since then.

I got out of trouble for the drive home on the Hume (500- 600km distance) by pulling out the rocker switch (which I don't like even when it works) and hot wiring the indicators to the female side of the loom/sockets. I walked 5 mins to a nearby Jaycar in Frankston and spent $6.50 on a metal momentary toggle. I had another metal old school toggle in the spares box which was also given duties. I found out which socket was the 12v power pin and and which was the socket for lefts and rights lights and wired up the wife accordingly so she could select L or R on one toggle and then flash on/off with the new toggle at the tempo of BeeGees Staying Alive which is ADR Australian Std flasher timing. (joke). Anyway, worked perfect. Still set up while I ponder what to do.

Has anyone dumped the rocker switch and set up better toggles?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:13:13 AM by Carzee »

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 156
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
Re: Perentie Hazard rocker switch -to toggle switch
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 07:53:21 PM »
...should add that I have some issues with the plastic switch panel that they use. I have seen thicker plastic on a Wiggles lunchbox. So that bit of scrap flat aluminium will get used and sprayed black. I will also use a toggle for the interior/cabin light.

So I expect if I study the hazard section of the wiring schematic included in VEH_G092_LandRover_110_4x4_RFSV_Modified_Technical_description.pdf

or in

http://www.remlr.com/documents/Wiring/VEH%20G133%20ISS%203_1_of_3.pdf

...it should all work out?

Offline Philthy

• THANKS 71
  • REMLR No: 425
Re: Perentie Hazard rocker switch -to toggle switch
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 08:42:25 PM »
Bad luck mate and well played.

Just a question does your indicator stalk have any play or ever-so-slightly drops in positions it may be the little spring tension in the contacts? Or crud in there? Common I believe.

If you need to replace it spring yourself a genuine one. I may have the genuine Lucas part number around if you want me to look for it and its cheaper to buy it as a Lucas preplacement part than a Genuine Land Rover packaged Lucas Part. I went the Genuine Lucas from England and it saved me heaps. 

A test lamp with a sound function is going to help you find what’s wrong fast.

Something else I worked out was the Land Rover harness plugs come apart much easier if you warm them up with a heat gun. Learnt this the hard way after breaking some pins.

The fact that you can get it to work by bypassing the stalk I think the wet was just a coincidence.

Mate there are others here that know the sparks better than me I'm sure they will chime in here soon.

If you want to have a giggle price that Land Rover hazard switch. :o

Cheers Phil

Offline Elliottt

• THANKS 2
Re: Perentie Hazard Switch & Indicator Hassles
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 05:31:14 PM »
Fuse 11 [bottom far left] feeds the indicators separately from the hazards so if that fuse is blown it would produce the symptoms you are describing, that would be the first thing I would be checking

Also the first relay on the left in the fuse panel controls the indicators, again separately from the hazards A while back my indicators randomly stopped working, [hazards continued to work] the problem turned out to be dirty terminals on that relay

If I was a betting man I'd say this is where your problem lay

Offline Elliottt

• THANKS 2
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 05:39:59 PM »
Hmmm I think I may have misread your problem, haha

oh well - hopefully it's still useful information to someone

Offline Dervish

• THANKS 59
  • REMLR No: 403
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 08:22:31 PM »
Have a check of your flasher can - behind the fuse panel - I reckon it's upside down and full of water. Tip it out, let it dry and you'll be right as rain. Heh.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 156
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 07:14:27 PM »
Dervish wins. It was the flasher.

I hunted high and low for my spare flasher unit (correct 1990's blue Hella).

http://www.ozautoelectrics.com/hella-caravan-trailer-conversion-flasher-unit-4-pin-12v-dc.html

I checked the Flasher unit for obvious water content: dry. Checked wiring spades going into the flasher's plastic female loom connector (I have a nifty spade pin release tool). Fresh bright copper wires in the crimps. Hmm, wish I could find the spare.

Pulled and checked relay "11" on the left of the array under the fuses, changed out it out with a same date same age relay I found on feebay. Not a prob there. All good.

Checked the hazard switch, rear of the ignition connectors, checked the indicator stalk and loom, all good.

Then I found the spare blue Hella flasher that was hiding out the back in a footlocker on the bottom of the stack and fitted it to see if the flasher was as healthy as it looked.... but no. It was dead. The spare I put in fixed the indicators. The 'healthy' Hella had become a Norwegian Blue, turned up its toes, joined the choir invisible, gone to meet its maker.... this was an ex-Hella-blue-flasher. It must have drowned in that Melbourne downpour. Should've fixed the vent seals earlier and perhaps this would not have happened.