Author Topic: Perentie Headlights and left indicator  (Read 1949 times)

Offline theflyingbra

• THANKS 1
Perentie Headlights and left indicator
« on: November 04, 2016, 01:56:02 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just sharing a fix i have done so if this in the wrong place then please move/delete etc.

I had an issue where my headlights wouldn't work, however high beams did work. i checked fuses and wiring but everything seemed to be ok. after awhile i realised my front left indicator wasn't working either.

The problem was in the multi switch in the indicator stalk. when i i pulled it off i tested the connections and discovered a bad connection where the headlight circuit comes through.
the receiver for the blue wire wasn't making a proper connection to the plate that makes the connection when the stalk is moved or sitting in the "neutral" position.

i soldered it to make the connection and it hasn't missed a beat since. i will most likely get a new switch/stalk eventually.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Cheers,
Brad

Offline Diana Alan

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 108
Re: Perentie Headlights and left indicator
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 03:56:14 PM »
There is a ongoing reliability  problems with the multi-function switch, primarily with the headlamp switching.  This is caused by all the current for the headlamps run through the terminals in the multi-function switch eventually resulting in their failing. 

The easiest solution is to fit headlamp relays so that the relay contacts supply the current to the bulbs directly from the battery and the original wiring used only to supply switching signal.  You can make up the wiring and install the  relays yourself or purchase one of the Traxide kits. http://www.traxide.com.au/headlight-wiring-kits/headlight-wiring-upgrade.html   I usually do the modification by using the small box type headlamp relays (Hella/Narva etc) fitted behind the headlamp buckets.   
REMLR 240.
Perentie FFR 50-422, SIII FFR 30-146, SIIA GunBuggy 112-726, Mk3 Inter 170-437, ex-SADF SIIB/SIII Radio Relay,
Army Trailers: No5 x 2, W/S x 2, PT1-1.2, Horndraulic ATR dog trailer.
Civilian: MY85 RRc HiLine 4.6, MY51 ex-RACQ 80", MY91 Defender/Reynolds Boughton 6x6, MY12 D4 SDV6

Offline Philthy

• THANKS 71
  • REMLR No: 425
Re: Perentie Headlights and left indicator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 05:39:36 PM »
An alternative fix is to not draw so much power through the switch etc.

Here's what I've done with good results. LED's these can be immersed and can take a battering. Don't go so high in output to be a pain in the ... and attract attention to yourself. Check the size of the LED fits the bowl and allows light adjustment.

Good luck
Phil