Author Topic: 2017 Corowa Swim-In & Military Vehicle Gathering  (Read 28494 times)

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
Re: 2017 Corowa Swim-In & Military Vehicle Gathering
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2017, 12:29:38 AM »
"I have to say though i was disappointed at whoever organised the group photo in shadows and bushes..."

Well I am sorry and apologise. Things fell apart. One or two attempts to access the property were arranged during the week. We did succeed in a reccy from the road but only the paddock fronting the road was seen. No trees out front... but no hill either.

The location was moved about 11am that morning to the back of the home (during a phone call) when it was offered to our group because there was a small rise was back there. The only rising ground on that property.

12 to 15 Landys at least were down the end of the 3km track to the river for an earlier social by KVE and despite efforts by Steven to go down there and round them up, to ask them to come to the lineup, only three or four joined in; most just drove by and back to Corowa for a coldie as it was not their club thing. While we waited the Stolly trampled attempts to park up - but sadly he didn't run over the two saplings. We had just arrived back in Corowa after the Blighty Run and had just driven in a small convoy after dropping trailers.

Next year is the YOTLR at Corowa and it would be good to get some ideas flowing for a social and a convoy somewhere at a minimum (like the Blighty Run). LR through the years photos display? Greatest Oil Leak Tall stories? So you think you know your part numbers trivia comp?

...Any ideas for 2017 out there? Anyone want to step up and organise something?

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2017, 08:58:53 AM »
"I have to say though i was disappointed at whoever organised the group photo in shadows and bushes..."

Well I am sorry and apologise. Things fell apart. One or two attempts to access the property were arranged during the week. We did succeed in a reccy from the road but only the paddock fronting the road was seen. No trees out front... but no hill either.

The location was moved about 11am that morning to the back of the home (during a phone call) when it was offered to our group because there was a small rise was back there. The only rising ground on that property.

12 to 15 Landys at least were down the end of the 3km track to the river for an earlier social by KVE and despite efforts by Steven to go down there and round them up, to ask them to come to the lineup, only three or four joined in; most just drove by and back to Corowa for a coldie as it was not their club thing. While we waited the Stolly trampled attempts to park up - but sadly he didn't run over the two saplings. We had just arrived back in Corowa after the Blighty Run and had just driven in a small convoy after dropping trailers.

Next year is the YOTLR at Corowa and it would be good to get some ideas flowing for a social and a convoy somewhere at a minimum (like the Blighty Run). LR through the years photos display? Greatest Oil Leak Tall stories? So you think you know your part numbers trivia comp?

...Any ideas for 2017 out there? Anyone want to step up and organise something?

Hi Ross,

Firstly, we all really appreciate your efforts, keep going.......

Couple of things, I think REMLR got overrun by KVE in changing the photo location, under the bridge as per previous years is best, I talked to people who went there to be in the photo and no one was there. We wont let KVE over run REMLR again.

The Blighty run is DEFINITELY on next year, we should open it up to all Land Rovers (and only Land Rovers)

The guy in the Alvis, extremely disappointing, more disappointing that a KVE committee member was encouraging him to do another "Lap" when I was on the "mound" trying to take photos of the Land Rovers , that person was yelling at me to get out of the way, (I left immediately as experience tells me to leave and not escalate the situation, if you know what I mean - comes with age!) this is the person that made us go to that spot in the first place! exceptionally rude! and worth mentioning for their next general meeting. I am pondering about formalising my complaint.

Apart from that I love the event and the people, and I love stirring up the J#$P owners!

can't wait for next year

SitRep Nam

This is me , I was camped next to you selling the No5 canopies, great photos by the way, nice to meet you

Cheers
Scott

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:12:04 AM by FFRMAN »
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2017, 10:31:15 AM »
I don't agree that we were made to do the KVE combo. I didn't know about what was said to you with the Stolly photo thing until you just posted it. Some crossed purposes there somehow.

It all started as an opportunity to get our lineup and armoured vehicles together as it was a clash of event timing we were trying to fix. Some corowa land rovers were going to miss the landy lineup because of the armour/carrier event up the back of the property. We wanted the most Landies possible. But they didn't join us anyway. They did't know the time we had set either. They drove past us. Obviously the Landies who went to Rowers Park "usual place" didn't read the program handed out to event participants. I realise I didn't see the armour/carrier event where we ended up either, unless you count the Stolly. The day previously there was a good armoured event on the obs course behind the showground which turned into a good little Landy social (with ants, millions of them). That was a more enjoyable event as well.

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
  • REMLR No: 20
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »
Sitrepnam, great to meet you as well, good effort bringing the 109 down, it was really good to see it.

As Ross and Scott said, we won't let the photoshoot chaos happen again next year.

Great to meet you as well, I didn't get a chance to have a good look but did you get another canopy for your vehicle?

Cheers,

Mike. (The other 2A 109 next to the inters).

Offline Richard Farrant

• THANKS 36
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2017, 03:49:28 PM »
Hi,
As the new President of KVE I would like to clarify a few points in recent posts on this thread, where it mentions about the Friday trip to Maurice Wilson's property. There is a misconception regarding this run out. It was for all vehicles, not just armour and carriers, which was borne out by the number and variety of vehicles that turned up at the property. We were told by the owner of the property that we could drive around all the tracks in the specified area.

Referring back to Reply#11 under the heading Landy Love In line up, the time of the line up was mentioned in the January issue of KVE News and repeated again in the Special Edition newsletter which all pre-registered participants were given in their pack.

The precise location of the Land Rover line up on the property was arranged by a REMLR member so any comments regarding this should not be aimed at KVE.

Not all Land Rover owners present are REMLR members or forum followers so despite publicity of the photo shoot, they did not take part. This may have been their choice, despite Jan T and myself trying to inform Land Rover owners down by the river of the photo shoot.

We (KVE), did invite a representative of REMLR to attend the KVE meeting on Sunday to discuss the Land Rover activities at our 2018 event, but no one turned up, or provided us with information or any plans from REMLR.

KVE is keen to involve REMLR and other Land Rover organisations to make the 2018 Corowa Swim-In and Year of the Land Rover a great event. Please email any thoughts and ideas to me at kve.editor@btinternet.com so we may discuss them with our committee and members.

best regards,
Richard Farrant
President - Khaki Vehicle Enthusiasts Inc.
KVE President & Editor
MVG of NSW newsletter editor
1943 Bedford QLD
1943 Daimler Scout Car

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2017, 05:38:30 PM »
edit. Here is a pic of the relevant section of the KVE News for posterity. There's good info there and its pretty clearly written.

Some pics from Corowa trip to follow.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:29:58 PM by Carzee »

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2017, 05:41:07 PM »
Corowa pics

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2017, 05:43:15 PM »
more - Blighty

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2017, 05:58:33 PM »
Landy Line Up

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2017, 05:58:56 PM »
more line up

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2017, 09:14:25 PM »
Nice work Ross, great pic's

I have a few suggestions for a REMLR photo next year :

1. A photo taken either early morning or late afternoon in front of the Australia Hotel ;

2. Maybe in the gardens around Corowa RSL;

3. If possible in the Straight at the race course ( Pic taken with Boxy's drone);

4. Main Street of Rutherglen;

5. A sight within the barracks at Bandiana ; and
6. We allocate some time in a recon of Howlong / Rutherglen / Wangaratta.

Bottom line is if everyone gets their projects completed, find drivers and are committed for the week we can achieve a photo to remember and enjoy many many times.
I think it's great we're starting the conversation early and we don't put a line thru any idea.  No idea considered too hard, stupid, or other.

Offline Magellan

• THANKS 36
  • REMLR No: 383
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2017, 12:26:45 AM »
Gedday men, a belated thank you for all combining to make the event enjoyable. The Blighty run was especially good Mick  ;), cheers. Thanks to Scott for saving me a tent spot too. Met some new faces, blokes I've chatted with on an ex Army Series FB page. Reconnected with a bloke I hadn't seen for nigh on 30 years too  :)

Enjoyed the parade again but disappointed in the swap meet.

I echo the concerns about the Alvis dill and Ball Park, Bindaree is so spacious but just not handy to town. What to do?

I'll put my mind to thinking about a trip too for YoTLR

Daryl
Series III FFR 30-128
No.5 trailer 101-026 (with 100 gal water bladder)

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 260
  • REMLR No: 218
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2017, 05:33:06 AM »
Hi,
As the new President of KVE I would like to clarify a few points in recent posts on this thread, where it mentions about the Friday trip to Maurice Wilson's property. There is a misconception regarding this run out. It was for all vehicles, not just armour and carriers, which was borne out by the number and variety of vehicles that turned up at the property. We were told by the owner of the property that we could drive around all the tracks in the specified area.

Referring back to Reply#11 under the heading Landy Love In line up, the time of the line up was mentioned in the January issue of KVE News and repeated again in the Special Edition newsletter which all pre-registered participants were given in their pack.

The precise location of the Land Rover line up on the property was arranged by a REMLR member so any comments regarding this should not be aimed at KVE.

Not all Land Rover owners present are REMLR members or forum followers so despite publicity of the photo shoot, they did not take part. This may have been their choice, despite Jan T and myself trying to inform Land Rover owners down by the river of the photo shoot.

We (KVE), did invite a representative of REMLR to attend the KVE meeting on Sunday to discuss the Land Rover activities at our 2018 event, but no one turned up, or provided us with information or any plans from REMLR.

KVE is keen to involve REMLR and other Land Rover organisations to make the 2018 Corowa Swim-In and Year of the Land Rover a great event. Please email any thoughts and ideas to me at kve.editor@btinternet.com so we may discuss them with our committee and members.

best regards,
Richard Farrant

Thanks for clarifying those points from a KVE perspective Richard. Your event was great this year and I enjoyed it a lot. I'm certain your discussions with the local council will ensure that other events will not be scheduled for the same weekend in the future. I know this is a concern with locals as well.... the town simply does not have the capacity without a creating a squeeze...

I'm sure the REMLR Committee will be in contact with KVE shortly. Coordination will be a key ingredient for next years event.

I'm a member of AMEC.  There were no negative points raised about the event at our AGM in Corowa. We appreciated KVE's efforts and it was a pleasure to be your guest.

Cheers,

Pete

Series 2A SWB 113-300 VTF  6 RAR
Perentie FFR 49-390  1 MP BN
Perentie GS 50-087  5 RAR

Offline Richard Farrant

• THANKS 36
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »
Thanks for clarifying those points from a KVE perspective Richard. Your event was great this year and I enjoyed it a lot. I'm certain your discussions with the local council will ensure that other events will not be scheduled for the same weekend in the future. I know this is a concern with locals as well.... the town simply does not have the capacity without a creating a squeeze...

I'm sure the REMLR Committee will be in contact with KVE shortly. Coordination will be a key ingredient for next years event.

I'm a member of AMEC.  There were no negative points raised about the event at our AGM in Corowa. We appreciated KVE's efforts and it was a pleasure to be your guest.

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Pete,
Thank you for your feedback, very much appreciated.

Regarding other events happening in the town at the same time, I guess this is referring to the concert at All Saints Winery on Saturday. This was over the border in Victoria and out of the Federation Council's area and also the winery had no control over the date as we understand as the concerts are run by a promotion business. An unfortunate clash of dates. We also heard that attendance at the concert was much lower than in previous years. We did raise our concerns prior to the Swim-In with the local council in Victoria, but they had no control over dates.

With the hike in accommodation charges happening in the area once the concert was announced, we made a point in the Special Edition newsletter that our participants were given, to encourage them to put a deposit down at their place of stay, for 2018, and making sure the charges could be held at agreed rates.

We look forward to hearing from all vehicle clubs and groups in our planning for the 2018 Corowa Swim-In.

best regards,
Richard Farrant

KVE President & Editor
MVG of NSW newsletter editor
1943 Bedford QLD
1943 Daimler Scout Car

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
  • REMLR No: 70
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2017, 08:27:35 AM »
Ross in your post No97 there is an image third one down,? who had the block buster on the rh guard? cheers dennis