Author Topic: No 5 Blueslip  (Read 19176 times)

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
Re: No 5 Blueslip
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2016, 05:29:06 PM »
Good Points -

What was that vehicle you were towing it with ...... ? A tent with wheels ... No wonder he wanter mud flaps! ;)

Frank

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2016, 05:54:33 PM »
A very drafty tent in summer ;)

Cheers
Steve

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
  • REMLR No: 310
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2016, 08:42:40 PM »

Question - If the trailer was manufactured before the ADRs and you want to tow it behind a vehicle which it was manufactured for, say a 1969 series IIa land rover registered before the ADRs, you do not have to do anything?  this has been explained to me ..... by the roadworthy and Vic roads people.  I appreciate the different rules in different states however - retrospectivity before the ADRs is recognised everywhere.

If you want to put the trailer behind a modern vehicle - you have to jump through the hoops.  This is fair enough.  I have registered my No 5 (Albeit in Victoria - a progressive State) by taking the trailer to be registered behind the 1969 IIa and it wasn't a problem....... It was a delight as the combination of vehicle and trailer got a lot of comments and interest.

Speaking practically, fitting the best of lights and reflectors are a good safety item anyway, however if you are only using the trailer on a few days a year, specifically Anzac day - and want to keep it original - it might be best to approach the authorities in a slightly different way ... Why change a pintle and ring system that was designed for each other and works brilliantly?

Just asking a question and offering a comment ....

Frank
My two Tracks were registered on the back of a tandem.

The Crump and Cornish on he back of a '94 Commodore

No issues with the trailers.
REMLR # 310, MVCA # 364, 101 Club # 2188, MHG #101
29-417 101 GS, 30-248 101 Rapier Tractor. 30-238 101
34-597 Crump & Cornish 1 ton Cargo Trailer
RT21 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer, 234-671 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 04:16:07 PM »
Got a piece of 16MM flat bar bent and cut to size in the end.  I think it might be overkill but it should do the job :)  Have set it up to lower the hitch a bit as well to level it out some more.  I was thinking of puting some side braces on it but I don't think this'll bend as it is.

Cheers
Steve

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2016, 06:34:45 PM »
Steve - looks great a very solid and safe solution.

Frank

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2016, 12:51:48 PM »
A ply template, some careful drilling and it all lines up :)  Trailer sits level, rear door and tyre clears everything, can't ask for more.  Tomorrow some welding of the side braces and the hitch is done.

Cheers
Steve

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2016, 04:20:40 PM »
Finished the hitch mount other than giving the square corners a trim to round.  Was recovering from a late night and early morning run so packed up earlier than planned.

Has anyone used the Rustoleum Army Green camouflage paint?
Have some on the way to paint the bracket and curious on the match.

Cheers
Steve
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 05:11:35 PM by STEVE F »

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2016, 03:15:33 PM »
Answered my own question re the paint, bottom section is done from the spray can top part is as it was, close enough for me and will work for painting the draw bar.  Slightly lighter but on separate pieces I don't think it would really notice and will all look the same after a month in the sun and on the trails.

Cheers
Steve

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2016, 03:39:05 PM »
Looks good Steve, all you need to do after priming and painting is attach a female car plug to your trailer and then you have something to plug the male connector into when the trailer isn't in use which will stop it getting damaged or corroded.   8)

Cheers Frank

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2016, 06:04:56 PM »
Yeah that looks great, might do that too to the one I'm changing to a camper, what thickness steel? and what dimensions please.

BTW being a rivet counter but your canopy is upside down! the wear band along the middle should be underneath - cheers
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2016, 06:21:04 PM »
Yeah that looks great, might do that too to the one I'm changing to a camper, what thickness steel? and what dimensions please.

BTW being a rivet counter but your canopy is upside down! the wear band along the middle should be underneath - cheers

Steel is 16mm thick, 130mm wide, the part that bolts to the frame is 200mm long (outside dimension) and part with the Mchitch is 250mm long (again outside dimension).  The gussets were just cut from some 6mm plate I had, can't go much thicker as you can't put the nuts back on otherwise size was based on the diameter of cutter left in the drop saw and what it would cut easily ;)

Thanks for the note on the cover, I'll flip it :)

Cheers
Steve

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2016, 08:04:36 PM »
Looks good Steve, all you need to do after priming and painting is attach a female car plug to your trailer and then you have something to plug the male connector into when the trailer isn't in use which will stop it getting damaged or corroded.   8)

Cheers Frank

Good idea, added to the list :)

Cheers
Steve

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2016, 01:22:52 PM »
How much can I get done in a 1hr lunch break and still leave enough time for a leisurely lunch, turns out I can cut two mudflaps out of a sheet of rubber, cut two pieces of aluminium flat bar to length and attach them to the bottom of one mudflap (rubber sandwiched between them).  At this rate I need one more lunch break to finish them.

Cheers
Steve

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2016, 02:15:57 PM »
Mud flaps are on, some painting done, just chains, tucking the wires away properly and reflectors to go.  Hopefully I can go back for a blueslip this week.

Cheers
Steve

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2016, 10:53:53 AM »
Got around to removing the now too short chains and welding on some new rated ones, ready for a blueslip finally :)

Cheers
Steve