Author Topic: 180-971 F1 Crane Truck  (Read 76045 times)

Offline Ravvin

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 61
  • REMLR No: 432
Re: 180-971 F1 Crane Truck
« Reply #345 on: September 13, 2020, 06:39:01 PM »
Actually, I got sidetracked.
I was going to post up what I did today inside the little shed, but got distracted explaining why I had done it up.

I have one of those basic sandblasting cabinets that seem like a good idea at first, but soon turn out to be really frustrating.

Its a bit like this one. There is a weak little light inside, but you'd be better off with a candle. Totally useless. Most of what you do in there is by feel.
There is a wire rack in the bottom, to keep your parts out of the garnet. Throw that out, its a waste of space. You need to constantly push the sand down to the pick-up in the bottom, as it doesn't slide by itself unless you half fill the damn cabinet. There is a sheet of thin film inside against the acrylic top. That lasts maybe 5 minutes before everything inside is a blur. They give you 5 spares, but you may as well save them until you actually wear through a sheet. The nozzle inserts are some pink stone/ceramic stuff that the places that sell these cabinets want a fortune for. I found a seller online and bought 10 for less than the local place wanted for 1. I buy local when I can, but not at that price.
There is a little pleated paper filter on the right side of the box, supposedly to let the air out but not the dust. That clogs up in about 10 minutes. Then I noticed that there is a similar hole in the back at the top left, with no filter at all, just a offset plate so you don't squirt garnet straight out the hole. This lets all the nasty fine dust out, where it gets in your eyes, up your nose and even in your ears, so wear a full tyvek suit and a full face respirator. Definitely makes it a good job to do in Winter. I chucked the pleated filter and stuck a 90mm computer fan over the hole, to force air in. This makes it a lot easier to see inside, if you stop blasting for a few seconds, as it pushes all the light powered garnet out the hole at the back. I stuck a 2" plumbing elbow over the hole on the back and run it to my ancient shop vac that gets used for all the messy jobs.
With the vac outside and the blasting cabinet in the little shed, I found that if I closed the door so it was really dark, and laid my LED floodlight on the top of the cabinet, off to the side, I could actually make out vague shadows inside the box, until I started blasting. Huge improvement.

Before and after. These are the trailer brake fittings from the F1. The red paint came of easily. That yellow stuff is really tough. I had to chip and scrape at it with a screwdriver tip, to flake it off in chunks.
Where its on the chain, I'm going to try using the wire wheel on the bench grinder and see if that works, before giving it all another quick touch up in the sand blaster.
I also had a go at one of the pulley sheaves from the rear winch roller guide system, but it was a bit much for the sand-blaster. I need to knock the worst of it off with the grinder and wire cup brush first. Maybe tomorrow.

Greg.

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 102
  • REMLR No: 374
« Reply #346 on: September 13, 2020, 06:39:23 PM »
You're certainly a worker Greg - I'm glad that you were able to arrange that tent with some lighting

I'm sure that we all enjoy your updates.

Thanks mate!
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline Chazza

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 89
  • REMLR No: 217
« Reply #347 on: September 19, 2020, 08:57:54 AM »
Nice to hear of progress Greg.

Years ago I made a sand blaster cabinet a bit like yours and experienced all of the same problems. It went to the tip a few years ago in a clean-out and now I de-rust all of my parts in molasses,

Cheers Charlie
S2 Command Recce '59
S2A 109" GS '63
S2A Fire Truck '64