Author Topic: Perentie Long Range Camping Vehicle - LRCV  (Read 102136 times)

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
Re: Perentie Long Range Camping Vehicle - LRCV
« Reply #240 on: May 18, 2019, 05:52:47 PM »
Time for more news. The tac windscreen canvas by Rod looks good. I will attach pics below showing it on Rod's LRCV -the one with Air Conditioning :)

Still haven't done the snorkel but I have put together another Expansion Tank upgrade, this time for Stevie's FFR. Seems to be a obsession of mine to find ways of fighting global warming.

Also acquired a spare NOS thermostat, a spare Blackout Switch and a Brake Booster from Brian to be rebuilt.

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #241 on: May 20, 2019, 09:30:28 AM »
Nice one Ross - It will be interesting to see how much cooler/warner (depending on the thermal circumstances) it makes the vehicle.   You are making the LRCV into a real  SUV - survival utility vehicle!

Frank

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #242 on: June 02, 2019, 10:59:12 AM »
Hi Frank, the other LRCV should be wearing one soon as well.

I'm now making a large awning, DIY.

I got some lengths of C section aluminium in 3mm as a start the other day. I have looked on google for a supplier of polyester in brown or green. I looked at outdoor furniture UV weatherproof materials. And marine vinyl. Not what we're chasing. The usual tent material is called ??

Anyone know the right name of the material and a supplier?

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 103
  • REMLR No: 374
« Reply #243 on: June 02, 2019, 11:35:12 AM »
Hi Frank, the other LRCV should be wearing one soon as well.

I'm now making a large awning, DIY.

I got some lengths of C section aluminium in 3mm as a start the other day. I have looked on google for a supplier of polyester in brown or green. I looked at outdoor furniture UV weatherproof materials. And marine vinyl. Not what we're chasing. The usual tent material is called ??

Why not ask by pm or phone to FFRMAN ?
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 128
  • REMLR No: 128
« Reply #244 on: June 03, 2019, 12:47:38 PM »
The usual tent material is called ??

Wax Converters sell a wide range of canvas products, both Defence colours and regular lines. Lots to choose from.

http://www.waxcon.com.au/defence-camouflage-tents-and-tarps.htm

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #245 on: June 04, 2019, 12:40:54 PM »
Thanks all, I went with a nylon Auscam and I will just 2 ply it... from Pam in Vic.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/183316324640?

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #246 on: July 16, 2019, 09:39:21 PM »
Cold weather lately, too cold for painting. Anyway, today the old flexible brake hoses (3) were changed out for HEL brand stainless hoses at the Series Workshop. New fluid too. Johnny has the vacuum brake fluid bleeder setup and it is so quick!

I think the brake booster that was recond. last month (obtained here from Bearman) will wait another month. That job is part of a combo deal - I need to check the firewall under the booster for rust and install a new or decent seal to stop water leaks onto the shoes when its raining. As well, underneath, on the pedal box we would like to upgrade the clutch pedal to the TD5 type and install a butterfly spring to reduce the HD clutch pedal pressure. as per http://lofclutches.com/shop/td5/l-o-f-powerspring-pedal-assister-kit/?v=6cc98ba2045f

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #247 on: August 05, 2019, 04:37:44 PM »
The booking is in for the LRCV to get a Maxidrive HD front axle later this month.
See this thread. http://remlr.com/forum/index.php?topic=6079.0

This will put back the brake booster etc job.

Meanwhile a small job can be done on the Breather Pipes.

Under the bonnet near the top of the engine bay section of the firewall (on the pgr side) is a handful of plastic / poly 6.35mm OD 4mm ID pipes from the ...

axle breathers front and rear, seen in RPS group drawing JAB
the gearbox and transferbox, seen in RPS group drawing FBC
the bellhousing top pgr side, seen in RPS group drawing FB

I am planning to renew the 30 yr old breather pipes with silicon vac pipe and use barbed brass terminals (or similar idea - maybe a 5-into-1 homemade manifold) at the engine bay end to connect the breathers to the pgr side end-cap of the Donaldson Filter Drum.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 05:30:08 PM by Carzee »

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #248 on: September 15, 2019, 03:28:40 PM »
 The last 3 weeks have been really busy with family matters, so the LRCV hasn't even moved. On the plus side, I now have no excuse not to visit TG/Hawks Nest quite a bit over the next few years.

ps, had a look at a Gewhizwagon light truck at an Aldi carpark yesterday. Sauerkraut must've been on special.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #249 on: December 20, 2019, 01:50:26 PM »
That last post was September when Mum was diagnosed with dementia.
Since then there have been a few moves on the LRCV.

A new aussie dynaproof canvas 270deg awning came my way from Supapeg. A christmas special I could not resist. $550. 2500long x 2000wide. Can't wait to fit it. The DIY affair will have to go on the driver's side.

I also replaced the front windscreen, the wiper arms and blades and spindle adaptors. Of course because I did this the drought has got worse. But it works great when tested with a garden hose.

I am switching the winch to 12mm synthetic rope. I have swapped out the RFSV bar with a normal coathanger. Both of these moves should reduce front end weight a fair bit. A small snag is the numberplate mount which I am fixing up today with Mr Ryobi, a bit of 30mmSHS, and some paint.

Here is the front end. We are currently dealing with some days of very thick smoke from bushfires. The sunshine is all orange which you can see in the photo. And its above 40deg for a few days. Summer has arrived.

Offline Barefoot dave

• Vendor
  • THANKS 81
  • REMLR No: 369
« Reply #250 on: January 03, 2020, 11:11:37 AM »
G'day Mate.
My condolences for your family.
We have been down that long road. Make the most of the good days.

The LRCV is looking great! Good score on the Foxwing.
That is on my list as well.
Kind Regards, Barefoot Dave.
Reunited with my old mate, RFSV 51 680, 'Sleazy'!!
D2 TD5 Auto
Gone:'91 RFSV, '88 Truck Carryall 48 358. Both cared for by REMLR members.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #251 on: January 09, 2020, 11:19:47 PM »
Hi and all the best Dave.
The awning supplier (Victoria) has refunded my money (after a week) because of lack of stock, even though their website said they had stock and would ship in the next 48 hrs. Hmmm. Other parts I ordered from them were 2 for 1 and that is what they supplied, perfectly fine deal. Nothing lost. Maybe I was lucky.

Another sus supplier has popped up online - RM Williams gear. It looks legit but no, it is sus (Hong Kong). This link was promoted by Pinterest). This way of operating is a little wild west to say the least.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #252 on: November 21, 2020, 10:19:22 PM »
This year... what can you say. .. thx CCP.

I replaced the bulb inside the Hella maplight with a LED kit after Greg, a local FFR owner, sorted out the part at Jaycar.

The main news - we decided to upgrade the 'camper' in Long Range Camping Vehicle with a slide-in camper, the kind you can jack up and drive out from under. We are using a set of Reico Titan camper jacks. The way they mount and their size means they also get used as stabilizer legs. They can raise the camper 3ft/900mm (old school mechanical winder model) and each leg is about 10kg.

The first move was to source a Defender Truck Cab. We found one, a 2001 unit, after hunting around 4 states by phone and emails. Just took a fair while...

While we collected new weather seals and other parts required we also began to remove the Maggiolina RTT and the ROPS, and the canopy. When we have finished our "grey nomad" phase the truck cab can be swapped back for the original canopy etc.

Yesterday the windscreen frame was dropped forward onto the pads after removing the wiper arms and the metal guard for the windscreen water sprayers. In the small gap between frame and the top of the dash there was a good collection of dried insects, a straw, and a spare part - long before we owned 50-257 someone lost a small fitting and screw down in there and obviously couldn't get it out -its the little fitting that mounts one end of the blackout flap across the array of idiot lights behind the steering wheel.

a. The rubber weather seal between the windscreen frame and the top of the firewall/bulkhead was (happily) free of corrosion. After a cleanup and another coat of paint a new (genuine) seal will go in.

b. The door seals are way out of date and new ones are ready to go on but first a good solvent clean up, some fishoil on the bulkhead steel sections, some careful use of butyl rubber and cloth tape etc to make a good seal.  The new seals we got: one genuine seal ($140) and one Bearmach ($44) due to stock issues. I was in a hurry and it presented a excuse to test for a performance difference. After 5 years I also ordered a new sunvisor. Spending money.. no one cares anymore - the local LR Dealer in Canberra sold out of all of their bright shiny luxury models pretty fast if thats an indication. Dear daughter looked for a new buzzbox but couldn't wait 8 weeks for a manual model - so she looked at used items but then then resigned to keeping her 2005 Barina - prices are going up and up at the moment.  Not a good sign.

c. Today the door tops came off. The rusty studs issue was experienced on one stud only. The window felts will be replaced too. A LH door lock mechanism and other bits are also waiting to be fitted.

Thats up to date.
ps, a welder is coming to size up the camper subframe thingy next week.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #253 on: November 21, 2020, 10:43:53 PM »
Here is a screen capture of my list of parts info involved in a Truck Cab aka Ute cab...

(disclaimer - unofficial of course)

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #254 on: November 22, 2020, 10:31:26 AM »
Hi Ross,

I`m looking forward to see the results and may go the same path.

Please Keep us posted on this .

Cheers,

Mick