Author Topic: Perentie Long Range Camping Vehicle - LRCV  (Read 101369 times)

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
Re: Perentie Long Range Camping Vehicle - LRCV
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2016, 10:31:28 PM »
 :) Yeah, there's only one other colour worse in that regard - mud brown I suppose.
Here's the same item on feebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-MAXTRAX-MKII-OLIVE-4WD-RECOVERY-TRACK-SAND-MUD-4X4-MAX-TRAX-EXTRACTION-TRED-/201426656261

Offline ReignCKD

• THANKS 14
  • REMLR No: 460
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2016, 03:33:07 AM »
I like the sound of the helper springs. Do you have the part numbers handy - I think it would be a good investment considering the continual cargo, day in day out, as we go on our way.

Sorry for the delay here is the parts, I ordered them with a few other things, but I'll bet this was under $100USD with shipping to USA from UK, they have really good rates compared to other places. Plus you can pay in home currency (no exchange rate fee on CC), and they will deal with the customs forms.

RRC3266 Coil Spring x 2
https://www.lrdirect.com/RRC3266-Spring-Assister/

RRC3352 Retainer Rear x 2
https://www.lrdirect.com/RRC3352-Retainer/?sfi=RRC3352&keep_https=yes

RRC3355 Retained Bracket Lower x 2
https://www.lrdirect.com/RRC3355-Retainer/?sfi=RRC3355&keep_https=yes
110 GS: 48-216
110 RFSV: 51-759

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2016, 07:20:21 PM »
Thanks for the helper spring info.

I mentioned roof top tents. I looked over 2 dozen videos on youtube from different makers.

I recently went camping (before and during Corowa) and saw a few in action. We slept in a swag on the grass at Corowa and in the rear of the Perentie elsewhere. We used a motel at the start and at the end and a laundramat ofcourse. Small luxuries. When touring next year I think that would be the norm, i.e., one or two or three nights a fortnight in a motel, hotel or caravan park cabin, and (around) 25 nights a month camping.

Motels can cost $80 and up per night. Ditto cabins with ensuites at Caravan Parks. So the more nights you camp in the Landy the more you save.

I'm rationalising the money side because this afternoon I bit the bullet and brought a second hand roof top "tent" that came up for sale a couple of suburbs away. Serendipity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoibaeRWZ8Q

Its a hardshell one, a Maggiolina Airlander in tan. I'm sure that when I sell it in 15 or 18 months I'll get back more than half the purchase price, so even if I lose a $800, the price per night works out very cheap -cheaper the more nights we are on the roadside somewhere (50 nights would work out at $16 per night to cover $800).

It came at the right time, as these things do, the same week as rego.

Cool nights. It has a good rep for colder nights which is what you get in the ranges around here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/82328-Buying-a-Maggiolina-Airlander-or-not

Hot nights... well it looks like it has minimal ventilation, so not so good in summer.
I'll pick it in the morning and then set about getting some measurements for a rack to be made up soon.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:22:43 PM by Carzee »

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2016, 11:09:38 PM »
Well "Maggie" is at home, on the patio, sitting on milk crates. We have checked it over and so far there are no faults and it presents as new. I tested it for length. I am 6.0ft and the mattress is fine unless I really stretch out the arches of my feet. Width for two people is less than a double bed, but thats ok.
We have tried some rack designs on paper and discarded some ideas to save money and to avoid weight. Its going to be very simple and just for "Maggie", nothing else. The minimalist rack will utilize the four existing bolt holes in the ROPS for the original roof rack. Therefore the four "legs" of the rack must fit in a way to make for a level platform.
Should've worked more on this project today but we went out with 2 other Perenties for another Canberra Campfire...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97_ccXKLLXA
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 12:02:19 AM by Carzee »

Offline Aussie Jeepster

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 91
  • REMLR No: 012
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2016, 07:27:26 AM »
I got one too. At that price, they seem great value. I can now have one on each side of Sir Angus, weather dependent.
No 5 Trailer ARN 177-295
SOLD Engineers Trailer - no id
SOLD RAAF 231194 Perentie 110 GS - SIR ANGUS

Offline kman

• THANKS 31
  • REMLR No: 278
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2016, 08:31:05 AM »
I got one too: pity I don't have a Perentie to hang it off...

Howard
Ferret Mk 1/2
MUTT M151A2
No 5 Trailer, RAAF Tactical Trailer

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
  • REMLR No: 70
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2016, 09:39:21 AM »
I made my own 25 years ago, a length of angle iron bolted to the roof rack sides, with holes to suit the tarp, poles go in a length of PVC pipe with screw end, takes about 3 minutes to erect cheers Dennis
ps this ison my 1984 110

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 260
  • REMLR No: 218
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2016, 12:13:33 PM »
I got one too: pity I don't have a Perentie to hang it off...

Howard

You to aye  ;D  doesn't hurt to plan ahead !

Pete
Series 2A SWB 113-300 VTF  6 RAR
Perentie FFR 49-390  1 MP BN
Perentie GS 50-087  5 RAR

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »
Today I prepped and "painted" Maggie the rooftop with some plasti-dip. Its US cam green.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 09:29:25 AM by Carzee »

Offline Aussie Jeepster

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 91
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2016, 01:48:44 PM »
OK, we all know how heavy a 20L water Jerry is, and we don't always want to take them off the back of the Perentie, so hear is a solution!
Picked up this little wonder when I was in the US the other week, ordered on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/TeraPump-TRPMW100-Battery-Drinking-Excluding/dp/B00APU2Y90?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00
It runs on 2 x D cell batteries, and literally gives water on tap!!!
No 5 Trailer ARN 177-295

Offline Aussie Jeepster

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 91
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2016, 03:17:54 PM »
And now for a table - best suited to FFR vehicles, but using a standard piece of 1200 x 595 ply (NO cutting required), some paracord to the roof rack, and 2 clips, here is a side table for a stove or whatever.
It will work on either side and can also use adjustable tent poles on the ground to support it.
With an awning above on the roof rack, it gives good cover when using the table.
And it can be put up, out of the way when not in use, but I would not drive with it in that position.
No 5 Trailer ARN 177-295

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2016, 08:55:10 AM »
And now for a table - best suited to FFR vehicles, but using a standard piece of 1200 x 595 ply (NO cutting required), some paracord to the roof rack, and 2 clips, here is a side table for a stove or whatever.
It will work on either side and can also use adjustable tent poles on the ground to support it.
With an awning above on the roof rack, it gives good cover when using the table.
And it can be put up, out of the way when not in use, but I would not drive with it in that position.

Good idea. When you posted the drawing/plan up thread I was wondering how simple the fittings would be. I thought, yeah same lanyard from the rack, but then a length of dowel as a horizontal support between the aerial mnts and a groove routed in the underside of the ply table to suit the dowel. Anyway, you have proved it works, its a good height off the ground too.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2016, 11:02:41 AM »
I gave some more though to Alan's side-table idea:

My plastic coated Bunnings formwork ply fits between the aerial mnts (sugar scoops) perfectly, no trimming! ($9.95 on special - when they have it - 1200x600x17 http://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/building-hardware/building-boards/structural-plywood/form-plywood). My dowel aka broomsticks (carried not to save my wife a walk if we breakdown but to straighten out the rolled-up canopy sides) could do the job running between the FFR sugar scoops. So one long side of a formwork ply sheet could be routed to suit the broomstick. So thats the inside of the table supported (the side closest to the bodywork).

The outside needs support and Alan uses a rope tied off at the appropriate angle back to the roof rack. Since I use four formwork ply sheets as a bedbase/cargo platform across the rear tub I can't attach fittings - boxes wouldn't easily slide forward, they would jam the fittings Alan uses so I thought of having a hole drilled/routed in the two outside corners to enable tying off the ropes. Then I thought of using two more of the alloy tent tubes as table legs, and poke them up into the corner holes. They are about 15mm diameter. Would work, but how to adjust the table leg height? I could drill a series of "height adjust" holes in the tops of the tubes just like other camping gear. I could use a split pin or something at the right height. The ground is rarely flat.

This idea sounded a bit involved writing it all up just then, but its just a simple 1200x600 sheet sitting on a horizontal length of dowel one side and two vertical tent frame tubes on the opposite side. It'll easily cope with the weight of meal making etc - its quick to fit and its under the awning too. Would I roll out the damper dough on it? We'll see next year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUeWRnIFYw0
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 12:25:38 PM by Carzee »

Offline aussiegregmac

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 97
  • REMLR No: 384
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2016, 04:31:17 PM »
Got my AWOL awnings today.
1942 C15 Blitz RadioVan 42-CMP "The PieVan"
1960 Series2 FFW 111-515  "The Woodcutter"
1991 Perentie RFSV 51-699  "Berzerker"
1996 Perentie INF 6x6 202-189 "The Walrus"

Offline Aussie Jeepster

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 91
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2016, 08:34:30 PM »
Got mine yesterday. Looks in great condition.
No 5 Trailer ARN 177-295