Author Topic: Alternator "over charging"  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Rangy35

• THANKS 35
  • REMLR No: Don't know what this is.
Alternator "over charging"
« on: February 22, 2016, 07:00:54 PM »
Well as the heading says "over charging" in these "" (dont know the english word)
As originally thought the alternator is over charging and I removed it for some tests and repairs as needed.
Running the alternator on my mate's test bench it behaved as it should, so standing there and looking at the result I checked the wiring digrams and I saw the posibility for the over charging.
The truth is the alternator was not over charging it is working with in it's design and was charging at a higer rate because it senced the battery was low on voltage.
The brown wire in the three pin plug on the back of the alternator is the sence wire "seeing" what the voltage of the battery is and charging accordingly.
I had a bad connection in that plug on the crimp of the terminal of the brown wire and that made the alternator charge at 16V to try and fill up the flat battery it's been "seeing"
I removed all three terminals and recrimped them and soldered the crimps to prevent this in the future.
Now all is well with the charging again.
Hope this helps someone later on, hence the repost here in the appropriate section.

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 108
  • REMLR No: 430
Re: Alternator "over charging"
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 08:36:11 PM »
good pickup there Rangy. :)
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS