Author Topic: No.5 canopy cordage  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Magellan

• THANKS 36
  • REMLR No: 383
No.5 canopy cordage
« on: December 11, 2015, 03:41:27 PM »
Gedday all, just procured a new tarp for the trailer. Can anyone please advise the method of securing the cordage to the tarp? i.e was one end knotted and then woven through the holes and simply tied off athe other end?

I seem to remember seeing one recently that had a steel ring attached that appeared it would provide some tension to the cord when securing to the pigtails.

all help appreciated

cheers, Daryl
Series III FFR 30-128
No.5 trailer 101-026 (with 100 gal water bladder)

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 148
  • REMLR No: 282
Re: No.5 canopy cordage
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 03:58:38 PM »
I have a loop at one end then tie it off to a pig tail and pull tight at the other :)
s111 GS, no 5, xt600 & Ferret mk2
Geoff C

Offline Magellan

• THANKS 36
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 04:18:26 PM »
Cheers Geoff, all in the pursuit of originality.

Daryl
Series III FFR 30-128

Offline Marlin

• THANKS 10
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 09:08:05 PM »
One of my trailers came with an army supplied tarp. It has one length of cord which has been folded into 2 equal lengths. The folded end is then passed through the front central tarp eyelet and tied off with a Prussic knot. (A very simple knot but a bit hard to explain, Google it). The cord is then threaded evenly down either side of the tarp entering each eyelet from the underside and exiting on the eyelets outer face and passing through each of the trailer pigtails in turn until both ends of the cord meet at the centre eyelet at the rear of the trailer. Here they are threaded through and tied off with a stopper knot but leaving enough slack that the cord can be released from a trailer pigtail without having to undo the stopper knot.

I hope this explanation makes sense.

Offline Magellan

• THANKS 36
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 10:34:52 AM »
One of my trailers came with an army supplied tarp. It has one length of cord which has been folded into 2 equal lengths. The folded end is then passed through the front central tarp eyelet and tied off with a Prussic knot. (A very simple knot but a bit hard to explain, Google it). The cord is then threaded evenly down either side of the tarp entering each eyelet from the underside and exiting on the eyelets outer face and passing through each of the trailer pigtails in turn until both ends of the cord meet at the centre eyelet at the rear of the trailer. Here they are threaded through and tied off with a stopper knot but leaving enough slack that the cord can be released from a trailer pigtail without having to undo the stopper knot.

I hope this explanation makes sense.

Cheers, it does. I like that idea, I'll try doing that with mine

Daryl
Series III FFR 30-128

Offline Magellan

• THANKS 36
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 06:22:07 PM »
Further, I think now maybe the ring I mentioned in an earlier post may have been tied to the cord with a prussik knot and then slipped over the centre pigtail and looped down each side as yours

Daryl
Series III FFR 30-128

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 06:47:32 PM »
This is how I have always done it

Slightly over exaggerated loop in the slip knot.

Lots...............
VMVC 251,