Author Topic: So, I bought a FFT  (Read 34286 times)

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
  • REMLR No: 20
Re: So, I bought a FFT
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2021, 04:08:08 PM »
Next up was an oil leak.

An oil leak on a Series Land Rover?  ;D ;D

Absolutely, but this one was from my rebuilt steering box, which was reconditioned as part of the restoration.

A pretty big leak, all over the chassis and footwell, and dripping on the ground.

One of the things that I thought I’d fixed for the next few years.....

The oil was coming from the output shaft of the box, it looks like another case of dodgy parts again unfortunately.

I bought some steering box o rings and gaskets from the UK, it looks like they used the cheapest Chinese o rings that they could find.

Here are the other ones that are the same as the one I used in the rebuild, they have gone hard and brittle, not really what you want in an o ring.... ::)

A much higher quality part has solved this problem, as well as a fair few hours removing and reinstalling the steering box, just for a crappy cheap o ring.  I think I bought these from the UK on eBay, if anyone else is tempted, be careful!

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2021, 04:20:50 PM »
So, now I’ve got a low vibration, almost oil leak free vehicle, we will see what breaks next.  ;D

Also, I was really happy to finally find the blower unit for the PRC 47 radio, this was a fairly big (and hard to find) missing part of the radio kit.

A very helpful seller in the States meant that it arrived in about a month and is now fitted.

Another piece in the puzzle, I need to do some more research and see if it is appropriate to connect the AN PGC-1 teletypewriter to it.  I have seen an old photo of a FFT with a small unit made table in the back with a teletype on it but this one had a Larkspur radio fit out, so I’m not sure if this set up is something that would have been used?

Once again, if anyone

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2021, 04:32:54 PM »
Hmmm, looks like I didn’t quite finish that last post,

I meant to say, if anyone has any information on the TTY setup for the PRC-47, it would be very helpful.

I do have this photo at what is possibly an open day display? ( credit for the photo to Paul Handel’s Anzac Steel site)

I know that this one has the GRC-106 installed, did we even use TTY with the PRC-47?

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 260
  • REMLR No: 218
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2021, 08:09:29 PM »
Mike, not according to my RASig Corps notes...... but...... that is not a definitive source.

Attached is what it says about the AN/PRC-47  (basically insecure voice and morse)
Series 2A SWB 113-300 VTF  6 RAR
Perentie FFR 49-390  1 MP BN
Perentie GS 50-087  5 RAR

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 260
  • REMLR No: 218
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2021, 08:18:10 PM »
This is what I found on Radionerds...  the AN/PRC-47 apparently does do RATT via AN/TGC-14 teletype......

I can't say I would be a fan of it though, because its still insecure  ie, no crypto

Have fun.
Series 2A SWB 113-300 VTF  6 RAR
Perentie FFR 49-390  1 MP BN
Perentie GS 50-087  5 RAR

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2021, 05:57:29 PM »
Thanks for that Pete,

That makes sense, and makes the vehicle fit out almost complete!

I’ll sort the PGC-1 if I ever get a 106 set. ;D

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2023, 10:11:04 AM »
A bit of an update, with Corowa and Cooma rapidly approaching, a few jobs to get on with…

I was fortunate to unearth another Power supply panel, this one has the Australian mod to fit a cover over the power terminals as well as quick disconnect sockets for the batteries. I always felt a bit nervous about the bare terminals on the original panel, they would be very easy to short!

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2023, 10:12:37 AM »
I can see why this mod was done, a bit safer I think.

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2023, 10:45:02 AM »
177-211 came out of service with the old style Lucas 700 headlights with the very dim 40 watt globes. High beam was 50 watts, not much of an improvement…….  Originally it would have had sealed beam headlights, so I refitted a pair of these. Much brighter, and it will solve the annoying condensation that the globe headlights always got when it rained.

Another earlier part fitted was the radiator. This was an earlier version with no provision for the overflow bottle. They do find their own level, but the later radiator set up is a bit neater. So a replacement radiator and overflow bottle fitted. Not a straightforward job, the radio generator is definitely in the way here.

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2023, 10:47:18 AM »
Here’s the issue, I decided to remove the generator here, instead of removing the radiator panel itself. Those tiny self tappers holding the shroud to the back of the radiator are a job that I don’t want to do too often.

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2023, 11:10:19 AM »
The next job was a big one.

Over the years I’ve been slowly collecting a few bits and pieces for the earlier Larkspur series of radios.

Sourced from the UK, Australia used these in the 60s and 70s mainly, and they were fitted to all of the armour and other vehicles of this period. Including the Land Rover FFT.

177-211 came with all of the fittings for Larkspur, including the reinforced front wings for the ATUs, and various holes in the tub for the cables etc.

These days it is quite difficult to get all of the correct cables and components to assemble a complete station. Understandable, it was all disposed of at least 40 years ago.

I was very fortunate to purchase a complete C42/ B47 setup that included the hard to find trays and cables. This came from a REMLR member in Perth, thanks Ridge! Another REMLR member was able to assist with transport, much appreciated Chris.

That’s what this group is all about, I really appreciate the way we go above and beyond to help each other out.

The crate was sent across the Nullarbor, and I had the start of the setup.

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2023, 11:15:26 AM »
I spent the last 6 months or so slowly cleaning up all of the components and finding various missing cables and components.

The Dookie emporium had this hiding away, and a bit of trading saw this coming home to join the collection. (Just the radio, I decided against the tables)😁

Definitely getting there now.

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2023, 11:27:30 AM »
After a fair bit of cosmetic restoration, the main components were good to go.

A military dealer down in Geelong unearthed a decent collection of Larkspur radio sets, and I was able to get a C45 VHF set from him.

And another collection was being sold off down at Point Lonsdale which also had a few bits and pieces.

Tim Vibert also still has some Larkspur gear, that didn’t sell at his auction last year.

Other cables were sourced from the UK, there is still a bit of this kit out there if you look hard enough it seems.

With most of the parts assembled and restored, it was time to see if they would go into the vehicle.

First up were the antenna cables, the wings have a rectangular cut out that is the exact shape for the antenna connector.  Not my favourite job, I’m not a big fan of the splash panels between the bulkhead and the wings, very fiddly to get the top bolts in….

The Australian kit has this neat cable stowage clamp, for when the ATUs are removed.

The tub has the same rectangular hole for the cables running up to the radios in the back, they run under the bodywork and up behind the fuel tanks coming out behind the seats.

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2023, 11:30:45 AM »
Next was the C box in the front, this is a remote control for the sets in the back.

REMLR has some good detail photos of this, very useful!

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2023, 11:34:39 AM »
 After that, time to remove and store the RT 524 and PRC-47 sets.

The FFT setup makes this fairly simple as they all mount to the same sliding table.

The HF antenna moves from the drivers side to the passenger side of the tub.

A last look at the later installation.