Author Topic: So, I bought a FFT  (Read 19131 times)

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 53
  • REMLR No: 20
Re: So, I bought a FFT
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2021, 04:08:08 PM »
Next up was an oil leak.

An oil leak on a Series Land Rover?  ;D ;D

Absolutely, but this one was from my rebuilt steering box, which was reconditioned as part of the restoration.

A pretty big leak, all over the chassis and footwell, and dripping on the ground.

One of the things that I thought Iíd fixed for the next few years.....

The oil was coming from the output shaft of the box, it looks like another case of dodgy parts again unfortunately.

I bought some steering box o rings and gaskets from the UK, it looks like they used the cheapest Chinese o rings that they could find.

Here are the other ones that are the same as the one I used in the rebuild, they have gone hard and brittle, not really what you want in an o ring.... ::)

A much higher quality part has solved this problem, as well as a fair few hours removing and reinstalling the steering box, just for a crappy cheap o ring.  I think I bought these from the UK on eBay, if anyone else is tempted, be careful!

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 53
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2021, 04:20:50 PM »
So, now Iíve got a low vibration, almost oil leak free vehicle, we will see what breaks next.  ;D

Also, I was really happy to finally find the blower unit for the PRC 47 radio, this was a fairly big (and hard to find) missing part of the radio kit.

A very helpful seller in the States meant that it arrived in about a month and is now fitted.

Another piece in the puzzle, I need to do some more research and see if it is appropriate to connect the AN PGC-1 teletypewriter to it.  I have seen an old photo of a FFT with a small unit made table in the back with a teletype on it but this one had a Larkspur radio fit out, so Iím not sure if this set up is something that would have been used?

Once again, if anyone

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 53
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2021, 04:32:54 PM »
Hmmm, looks like I didnít quite finish that last post,

I meant to say, if anyone has any information on the TTY setup for the PRC-47, it would be very helpful.

I do have this photo at what is possibly an open day display? ( credit for the photo to Paul Handelís Anzac Steel site)

I know that this one has the GRC-106 installed, did we even use TTY with the PRC-47?

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 257
  • REMLR No: 218
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2021, 08:09:29 PM »
Mike, not according to my RASig Corps notes...... but...... that is not a definitive source.

Attached is what it says about the AN/PRC-47  (basically insecure voice and morse)
Series 2A SWB 113-300 VTF  6 RAR
Perentie FFR 49-390  1 MP BN
Perentie GS 50-087  5 RAR

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 257
  • REMLR No: 218
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2021, 08:18:10 PM »
This is what I found on Radionerds...  the AN/PRC-47 apparently does do RATT via AN/TGC-14 teletype......

I can't say I would be a fan of it though, because its still insecure  ie, no crypto

Have fun.
Series 2A SWB 113-300 VTF  6 RAR
Perentie FFR 49-390  1 MP BN
Perentie GS 50-087  5 RAR

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 53
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2021, 05:57:29 PM »
Thanks for that Pete,

That makes sense, and makes the vehicle fit out almost complete!

Iíll sort the PGC-1 if I ever get a 106 set. ;D