Author Topic: So, I bought a FFT  (Read 34285 times)

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
  • REMLR No: 20
So, I bought a FFT
« on: December 01, 2015, 09:55:16 PM »
Okay, thanks to the good people at photobucket  >:( I have re attached most of the photos, and done a bit of editing. Hopefully it all still makes sense!

I've always been interested in the FFT vehicles, and last week, I finally ended up with one.

From Ian's collection at Toolern Vale, I ended up buying 177 211.

This vehicle is incredibly original, and is as it was when it left service, bar 25 years or so of weathering.

It is one of the last 2A FFTs, and still has all the original kit, including the engine driven generator.

Like Stuarts new LRPV, it had a good collection of lichen.............

It was as parked 25 years or so ago, and the remains of the canopy did a good job protecting the inside until a few years ago.

It still even has the blower fitted, as well as all the radio power boxes.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:19:05 PM by mike_k »

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
Re: So, I bought a FFT
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 10:00:31 PM »
Good job Mike,

Congratulations.

Mick

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 10:07:31 PM »
Again like Stuarts vehicle, all the tyres still held air, try that with 2015 tubes from asia. It came home without incident, ready for a major cleanup.

I was really looking forward to getting rid of all that lichen, I think it had its own eco system in there somewhere.............

Underneath, a lot better than I thought it would be, the only bulkhead rust that I can see is in the two door pillars, not too bad really.

I'll take some more photos tomorrow, the plan for this is to restore and fit some radios.

I'm really not sure what radio kit would be appropriate, but I'll start with the big Larkspur table and go from there. The wings have all the cutouts for the Larkspur ATUs, but in later life the vehicle was fitted with wing mounted tool holders.

Would anyone have any idea what the ETW 015 number plate signifies?

I'm wrapped with this one, it will be a great project.

Cheers,

Mike.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:11:13 PM by mike_k »

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 10:08:39 PM »
That was in very original and very good condition. I've bought one of the workshops. Do we know who bought the 2A panel van?
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 10:10:43 PM »
Last one for tonight, the tub came up well. Several unhappy huntsmans evicted as well.....

Looks like the Larkspur battery carrier may have been fitted at some stage, judging by the holes.

Actually a bit of an edit, this vehicle being a 1970 model, would have had the Australian made battery frame fitted.

A bit like this one, courtesy of Hugh and 114 051.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:16:59 PM by mike_k »

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 10:21:04 PM »
Thanks Mick, I'm looking forward to getting into this one, it should come up well and has a lot of hard to find parts still fitted.

Scott, the great thing about Ian's vehicles is that they have never suffered any post service "improvements", and are totally original.

They are a great reference point as to how they were when they were auctioned.

My new FFT has series 3 door hinges on the drivers side, a flat metal Bridge weight sign and lots of other little things that would have been added as it went through its 19 years of service.

Good job on picking up the workshop, if I had of bought one of those as well, it would definitely would have been a Time Bomb once my wife found out!

When I was there on Sunday, the Topo Survey was still there and yet to be put on eBay, unless you know any different. It will be interesting to see what it sells for.

Cheers,

Mike.

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 10:28:14 PM »
Yeah Time Bomb is the best of the workshops and solid fire wall. Door tops not much good. I'll start a seperate thread. I was interested in the panel van but it must have been sold privately.

I recon Tim Vibert is a good start for radio tray and ATU's.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Regards
Scott
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline Tommy

• THANKS 72
  • REMLR No: 209
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 10:29:23 PM »
Holy Cow Mike :o. I can't believe how similar our new FFTs look. Same paint, same lichen and same general condition.

My FFT/LRPV has the same rust in the bulkhead pillars as yours. It's not very much and is easily repairable. Your photos show many interesting things about your Land Rover. I can now reference the bolt holes and other mods for the radio setup. Wasn't too sure if they were SASR mods of not. Now I know. Thanks ;)

Offline Tommy

• THANKS 72
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 10:33:34 PM »

I'm really not sure what radio kit would be appropriate, but I'll start with the big Larkspur table and go from there. The wings have all the cutouts for the Larkspur ATUs, but in later life the vehicle was fitted with wing mounted tool holders.

Mike

There is a fella over here who has the entire Larkspur FFT setup. He was going to make up an FFT but has now decided other projects are of more importance. I'm sure he will be interested in selling the set.

If interested, I can get him to call you and you can speak direct or I can PM you his email and phone number.

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 10:50:04 PM »
PM sent Tommy,

That Lichen is now in the past, I hope the WA quarantine mob don't find out about yours.

It is interesting that your LRPV got turned back into a FFT and ended up over here in Victoria, I guess it has made at least 4 trips across the Nullabor now.

I'll post a few more photos of the FFT tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mike.

Offline Tommy

• THANKS 72
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 12:42:21 AM »
PM sent Tommy,

That Lichen is now in the past, I hope the WA quarantine mob don't find out about yours.

It is interesting that your LRPV got turned back into a FFT and ended up over here in Victoria, I guess it has made at least 4 trips across the Nullabor now.

I'll post a few more photos of the FFT tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mike.

Mike

It's too late for quarantine...the lichen has gone to lichen heaven ;)

It's strange but my FFT has had all the radio accessories stripped out of it. The SASR may have done this. Yours appears to have all that gear intact. My FFT may have been returned to the army vehicle pool once finished with by the SASR. The sides of my FFT show that it has at one time, mounted the later/current antenna mounts (same as on yours) for the AN/PRC 25/77 set. My FFT may not have been used specifically as a dedicated radio vehicle but could have had a simply PRC 25/77 setup. More along the lines of a GS with radio :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:45:38 AM by Tommy »

Offline 2short

• THANKS 41
  • REMLR No: 471
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 06:04:19 AM »
Mike your FFT served in Vietnam as an MP vehicle did it not?

In the ebay advert the chassis no. is 25329302D. Was this wrong? As that number matches 175-292.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:58:58 AM by 2short »

Offline Hot Rover

• THANKS 98
  • REMLR No: 319
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 06:39:50 AM »
Nice purchase there Mike. There wouldn't be too many this complete left around.
Cheers
Rod
108-545 1963 Series 2A FFW
51-441 1991 Perentie GS (RamRod)
Series 2 Safari (Matchbox)
173-621 1/2 Ton Trailer, Aust No5

Offline kman

• THANKS 31
  • REMLR No: 278
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 08:13:49 AM »
Just wondering about the pioneer tools. If it had Larkspur gear fitted the pioneer tools would be inside, not on the guards?

Howard
Ferret Mk 1/2
MUTT M151A2
No 5 Trailer, RAAF Tactical Trailer

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 08:46:59 AM »
Hi 2short, how are things over your way?

For some reason, the chassis data plate on this FFT is from 175 292, which is the one on the cover of A cop in a baggy green skin, the book written by a former MP.

However the chassis number and the nomenclature plate confirm it as 177 211, so who knows how it got that data plate? I did know this when I bought it, shame about the Vietnam service, but I am very happy with the vehicle regardless.

If anyone has 175 292, I'm happy to send them the plate! Perhaps I should send it to the bloke who wrote the book....

Rod, I was very keen to pick this vehicle up as it is so original. I do need a RADIO placard though, fortunately I know where to get one. :D

Howard, the vehicle has the full set of brackets for the tools behind the seats, for some reason it was also fitted with the wing mounted holders, probably later in its service.

I'll take some more photos this morning if I can, to show you what I mean.

The ETW 015 number plate has got me baffled, I have found that there are not many photos around of the FFTs when they were in service, especially of the radio fit out.