Author Topic: Major Brake Overhaul - S2 LWB  (Read 5191 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
Major Brake Overhaul - S2 LWB
« on: August 10, 2012, 01:27:26 PM »
Ok, I was perusing roverparts brakes listings and noticed this major kit, which seems reasonably good value.  Only thing to does not have is brake lines.

http://www.roverparts.com.au/inc/sdetail/15125

I had pretty much planned on replacing virtually everything in the braking system, and this may make it feasable.  What do people think?

Also, how do I get a drum off when I can't get the screws to turn?  Can they be drilled out?  I don't have one of the hit with a hamer to turn thingos.  Apart from heat, WD40 and elbow grease, what else can I try?
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Tommy

Re: Major Brake Overhaul - S2 LWB
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 04:56:04 PM »
Hello Richard

Great information :D

Should this thread be in the 'Mechanical Problems' section. Throw the Roamer Overdrive thread in there too.

By the way, you might want to think about dropping the 'Problem' off the title as this information you have found is a problem solver and not a problem :D. A simple 'Mechanical' heading would cover everything.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:02:56 PM by Tommy »

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
  • REMLR No: 70
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 05:14:29 PM »
Try to borrow a soft faced hammer (copper), give the heads of the screws a good whack, using a square shaft screwdriver and adjustable spanner (aka shifting spanner), holding the spanner down close to the job, turn the screwdriver clockwise (as if to tighten the screws), then anti-clockwise and see if they undo.
If they don't (and I don't know what you have in the way of tools), try this method. Using a sharp center punch, make a mark with the punch at 90deg (aka right angles) to the screw head, try to make your mark on the screw head at approx 11oclock to the slot in the screw, and not too close to the edge of the screw either, that way you can still use the screwdriver to extract it after it comes loose, make sure you have a hammer (ball pein) of at least a decent weight, not too heavy not too light, after making your initial mark, alter the angle of approach and hit it again in an anti-clockwise motion, this will destroy the screw for further use but they are cheap enough, cheers Dennis

Offline South65pac

• THANKS 31
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 06:47:56 PM »
Agreed with Dennis,

but if no Joy: Using a wide blade on an Impact Driver, (buy a good one, as a cheap one will only give you grief) \

Set to 'undo' (press the driver slowly against a surface and make sure it turns Counter Clockwise) and hit it hard on th escrew head.

These screws are usually tight so you may need to tighten them with the driver, then loosen them off.

If you wreck the head then you will need to carefully drill the head out.

Ian
Many and various pieces of tin with wheels.

Offline Uncle Ho

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 54
  • REMLR No: 003
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 07:06:17 PM »

G'day Phoenix  :)

If you can get the screws out, when it comes to removing the drums,back off the shoe adjustment and then use one of the screws in the threaded hole to jack off the drum from the axle flange  ;)

cheers

Offline aussiegregmac

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 97
  • REMLR No: 384
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 08:34:16 PM »
For all the other uses you'll use it for it is always good value to buy a good quality
"hit with a hammer to turn thingoes" (Impact driver)
You'll have it for life.

This is the easist way with this particular task guaranteed.

Greg
1942 C15 Blitz RadioVan 42-CMP "The PieVan"
1960 Series2 FFW 111-515  "The Woodcutter"
1991 Perentie RFSV 51-699  "Berzerker"
1996 Perentie INF 6x6 202-189 "The Walrus"

mzungumagic

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 10:14:01 PM »
And Richard, after you get the screws out (you will won't you ?) give them a coating of Anti Seize when you replace them.  It'll be a lot easier next time.

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 09:47:21 AM »
I've got a big jar of copper anti seize grease that gets used on a lot of things here jack  ;D

Thanks for the hints and tips.  I'll have to try some next week.  Actually a mate may have one of those tools, I must give him a call.
REMLR Webmaster
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline Alien

• THANKS 2
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 07:49:03 PM »
I have cliped vice grips to a screw driver and hit the end with a hammer when no impact driver around.
Use the vice grips to hold the screwdriver shaft square and for some leverage and hit the end of the handle/shaft.
It's not good for the handle but works a treat on the side of a track.

Offline Chazza

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 99
  • REMLR No: 217
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 02:18:30 PM »
Looks like a good kit from Roverparts but check out the prices here as well:
http://www.paddockspares.com/
http://www.karcraft.com.au/catalogue/parts.php?action=list&make=25&prod=12&part=ETC+6660&sort=1&start=1&search=Search
http://www.fwd.com.au/

I have bought parts from all three businesses  and Roverparts and haven't had any major problems, either with service, or parts quality,

Cheers Charlie
S2 Command Recce '59
S2A 109" GS '63
S2A Fire Truck '64

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 09:15:43 AM »
When I have the cash to splash I will be shopping around certainly.   Although I won't use FWD (four Wheel Drives) any more.  I was very dissapointed to get a 2nd hand part one day when I ordered a new one, and the price wasn't for 2nd hand either.  THat and a couple of other things that I wasn't happy with has made me pretty gun shy, although I did always get good service, and on occasion, good products.

I must admit to forgetting to check the prices in the UK for such things, looks like a similar kit in the UK from padock is about 60 gbp.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:19:57 AM by Phoenix »
REMLR Webmaster
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline Uncle Ho

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 54
  • REMLR No: 003
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 11:40:30 AM »

While you are doing your brake O/haul, get your wheel cylinders stainless steel sleeved,that will then reduce the chance of pitting from water build up in the brake fluid,then use good quality replacement cups,PBR is what I would recommend,most good brake service places should stock them also when getting the sleeving done, check and note down what size sleeves are fitted,(Imperial or Metric)as Metric cups are more available now.

Offline South65pac

• THANKS 31
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 05:17:07 PM »
Crikey.

I would give JIM a call. (at Four Wheel Drives)
I have had some issues with them, but a call to Jim fixes all the problems. I ordered a petrol manifold gasket a while ago. A diesel one showed up... a phone call fixed it all. have had some orders a bit haywire but it is the spares people.....
I would say that they are in the business of supplying the right parts.  If they don't talk to the man who owns the store. JIM.

ANY place I get the wrong part from I always call and sort it out.  Including (god bless em) Blanchards, in the UK.

Ian.

When I have the cash to splash I will be shopping around certainly.   Although I won't use FWD (four Wheel Drives) any more.  I was very dissapointed to get a 2nd hand part one day when I ordered a new one, and the price wasn't for 2nd hand either.  THat and a couple of other things that I wasn't happy with has made me pretty gun shy, although I did always get good service, and on occasion, good products.

I must admit to forgetting to check the prices in the UK for such things, looks like a similar kit in the UK from padock is about 60 gbp.
Many and various pieces of tin with wheels.