Author Topic: Brake Expanders  (Read 1378 times)

Offline 4X419

• THANKS 4
Brake Expanders
« on: November 15, 2015, 10:15:04 PM »
Hello Folks,

I have been going through and reconditioning the brakes on my truck.  Please find first photo attached - Girling part no. 64275998 (cast, with no dust cover).  This is the brake expander unit I have found on the front axle - works fine with the split pins holding the pistons in the unit during disassembly.  All makes sense!!

To my suprise, I also found these same brake expanders on the rear, but with no split pins fitted.  The pistons are rotated 180 degrees because the rear wheel cylinder is a pull type (front is a push type), and this is why there was no split pins.  Anyone else found this anomaly while working on their brakes??

I had some spare brake expanders which have a Girling part no. 64276115.  I have used these on the rear brakes, as they can accommodate the split pins. See picture attached.  Completely different to the front ones.

Just interested to see whether anyone else had noticed the front one also fitted to the rear.

Kind regards,

Tom

Offline john.k

• THANKS 29
Re: Brake Expanders
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 10:59:51 PM »
The cast iron unit are the later replacement part.These wedge brakes were fitted to most English trucks of the sixties,with various combinations of shoe types and assys.Be careful when assembling that the pushrods dont fall out of the rockers as you install the drums.Some later assys [not Acco] had the pushrods held in place with wire clips.I remember an accident with a bus where the mechanics let the pushrods fall out,and didnt understand why the brakes[rear]wouldnt adjust properly,two girls were killed,and the mechanics got a jail term.Regards John.

Offline 4X419

• THANKS 4
Re: Brake Expanders
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 07:20:54 AM »
Thanks John!!  Yes, the pushrods were a real pain to keep in the rockers during assembly.  I had the wheel hub off (did bearings and seals as well) which made it a lot easier -> I'd hate to be doing the brakes with the wheel hub on . . .

Kind regards,

Tom
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:39:40 PM by 4X419 »