Author Topic: RFSV Fuel gauge  (Read 1741 times)

Offline 3lud13

• THANKS 3
RFSV Fuel gauge
« on: September 06, 2015, 08:50:21 PM »
Well I believe my fuel gauge may be faulty and not working properly, the reason I have narrowed it down to the gauge and not the sender is because it is considerably out on both left and right tanks.
When full it reads well past the 4 and empty is anywhere from 1.5-2. Since this is roughly the same on both tanks makes me think its the gauge and not the senders that is faulty as I would assume each tank has a different sender in it and I think it would be pretty unlucky that both senders where faulty.
Is there a way to check for sure if it is the gauge and if so what gauge is required for a replacement, doesn't have to be an original gauge I'm ok going aftermarket as long as it fits in current bezel and gives accurate readings.

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 114
  • REMLR No: 430
Re: RFSV Fuel gauge
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 09:01:01 PM »
Most likely a crook earth. Undo the dash and have a check of the black wires attached to the gauges.
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS

Offline Barefoot dave

• Vendor
  • THANKS 81
  • REMLR No: 369
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 09:05:48 PM »
Snap Brian ;)
Hey mate.
Start easy by cleaning all the contacts and earth points in the gauge cluster. A couple of screws and about 15 minutes.
I cussed all kinds of'overheating' issues until a mate reminded me to check them. Discovered I had an extra quarter tank in each side.
They daisy chain, so ensure you clean all of them.
I how this helps.
Kind Regards, Barefoot Dave.
Reunited with my old mate, RFSV 51 680, 'Sleazy'!!
D2 TD5 Auto
Gone:'91 RFSV, '88 Truck Carryall 48 358. Both cared for by REMLR members.

Offline 3lud13

• THANKS 3
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 11:04:51 PM »
It is on my todo list cleaning earths behind the dash as my right hand side speedo light only sometimes works and I figured that was a dodgy earth so hopefully when I get around to that it may also fix my  fuel gauge issue