Author Topic: 51716 has a new owner  (Read 8307 times)

Offline 3lud13

• THANKS 3
51716 has a new owner
« on: September 01, 2015, 03:35:01 PM »
Figured this is probably one of the better spots to put this thread, I am going to use it to keep everyone updated on any changes I make to the vehicle and to ask all my questions link all my info and just generally keep all my information in one place for easy reference.
First step find my way out of Sydney and back towards melbourne will have many questions coming for the brains trust in the coming weeks.

Paint Codes Protec Paint http://remlr.com/forum/index.php?topic=3636.0
Check fuse wiring I have some thing in mine http://remlr.com/forum/index.php?topic=2791.0
CES kit onboard toolkit
Engine driven compressor http://remlr.com/forum/index.php?topic=3372.0
Reason for editing: To add links to first post to assist in finding them easier in the future
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:52:52 AM by 3lud13 »

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
Re: 51716 has a new owner
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 07:24:52 PM »
Congrats!
I'm in a passenger seat going nth on the Hume probably passing you in the dark as you go sth. Lots of semis out here as well. Popular job it seems.

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 148
  • REMLR No: 282
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 10:44:39 PM »
I don't like your chances trying to get out of Sydney at 3.30 is difficult to say the least
s111 GS, no 5, xt600 & Ferret mk2
Geoff C

Offline 3lud13

• THANKS 3
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 09:11:01 AM »
Got out of Sydney in one piece going via Windsor as I wanted to go to klr automotive chat to them about a turbo upgrade but they seem to have moved or I couldn't find them but decided to head home anyway.

Seems is life stayed in Townsville for it's first month then moved up to cairns serving with 51fnqr so if anyone had information or photos that may contain my vehicle would be greatly appreciated.
Now for some questions of unknown things.

Lever at base of driver's seat by left foot, what is it for? At first I thought pto but was told pto is on right side off steering column.

I've heard videos and tutorials posted of correct fitment of canopy but never seen them and I'm pretty sure mine isn't fitted right not sure what is right but yeah.

Small canvas outlets on roof halfway down canopy what are they? I'm currently thinking air vents maybe

Left fuel tank slight leak though I may be over filling it as I just noticed in log book it reads 50ltr I been putting 55 in will leak out for 5 minutes or so then stop so I'm thinking a seal maybe or overflow maybe blocked breather suggestions would be great.

I think my main battery could be dead and am mostly starting vehicle on secondary battery I checked they large batteries though I assume battery world would have something suitable but any recommendations from experienced people

Paint is polyurethane paint (pup-nirr) is it possible for the public to buy this as there is some painting required.

I recall reading somewhere someone had a perentie with a storage bin underneath instead of a spare wheel it held a few jerry cans, I forgot to save it anyone else recall seeing this and know where I may have found it.

That's it for now I think time for me to get to work and will probably have more questions tonight as if I'm not too tired would like to stretch its legs on some dirt.

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 103
  • REMLR No: 374
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 09:15:04 AM »
Got out of Sydney in one piece going via Windsor as I wanted to go to klr automotive chat to them about a turbo upgrade but they seem to have moved or I couldn't find them but decided to head home anyway.

Seems is life stayed in Townsville for it's first month then moved up to cairns serving with 51fnqr so if anyone had information or photos that may contain my vehicle would be greatly appreciated.
Now for some questions of unknown things.

Lever at base of driver's seat by left foot, what is it for? At first I thought pto but was told pto is on right side off steering column.

I've heard videos and tutorials posted of correct fitment of canopy but never seen them and I'm pretty sure mine isn't fitted right not sure what is right but yeah.

Small canvas outlets on roof halfway down canopy what are they? I'm currently thinking air vents maybe

Left fuel tank slight leak though I may be over filling it as I just noticed in log book it reads 50ltr I been putting 55 in will leak out for 5 minutes or so then stop so I'm thinking a seal maybe or overflow maybe blocked breather suggestions would be great.

I think my main battery could be dead and am mostly starting vehicle on secondary battery I checked they large batteries though I assume battery world would have something suitable but any recommendations from experienced people

Paint is polyurethane paint (pup-nirr) is it possible for the public to buy this as there is some painting required.

I recall reading somewhere someone had a perentie with a storage bin underneath instead of a spare wheel it held a few jerry cans, I forgot to save it anyone else recall seeing this and know where I may have found it.

That's it for now I think time for me to get to work and will probably have more questions tonight as if I'm not too tired would like to stretch its legs on some dirt.

KLR are in Argyle St, south Windsor
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline 3lud13

• THANKS 3
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 09:45:50 AM »
KLR are in Argyle St, south Windsor

According to Google that was where I was located but couldn't find them not a major issue I just thought since I was already in Sydney I might drop by and have a chat as I know I want to for a turbo but it won't be happening this year most likely so got plenty of time to get back and chat to them.
Was on a tight dead line and needed to get home for work.

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 260
  • REMLR No: 218
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 09:48:28 AM »

I'm not sure if you can get it, but you don't want it anyway.... it's bad for you (carcinogenic).

You want the protect equivelant... search the forum for the info you need.

If you decide to do any sanding of the old paint work, make sure you are fully protected, with a good mask and in a well ventilated area.

Cheers,

Pete
Series 2A SWB 113-300 VTF  6 RAR
Perentie FFR 49-390  1 MP BN
Perentie GS 50-087  5 RAR

Offline Dervish

• THANKS 59
  • REMLR No: 403
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 11:41:27 AM »

You may well have seen my photo of Boxy's RFSV from last year's Land Rover Expo.

Offline 3lud13

• THANKS 3
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 02:43:16 PM »

You may well have seen my photo of Boxy's RFSV from last year's Land Rover Expo.

That is possible though I do recall it being 3 or 4 laying on their narrow sides but that is pretty much what I am after you wouldn't have dimensions or more pics of how is mounted and stuff by any chance. Otherwise I guess I can always just do allot of measuring little bit of guess work some trial and error and create something similar as I believe finding someone selling one would be difficult cause I doubt there will be many of them

I'm not sure if you can get it, but you don't want it anyway.... it's bad for you (carcinogenic).

You want the protect equivelant... search the forum for the info you need.

If you decide to do any sanding of the old paint work, make sure you are fully protected, with a good mask and in a well ventilated area.

Cheers,

Pete
Thanks heaps for that info I was reading about the paints the other day and recall finding a few posts on here about it but due to not actually having vehicle yet I didn't save them but will go off and search for the protect paint listing again

Offline Dervish

• THANKS 59
  • REMLR No: 403
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 03:55:52 PM »
That is possible though I do recall it being 3 or 4 laying on their narrow sides but that is pretty much what I am after you wouldn't have dimensions or more pics of how is mounted and stuff by any chance. Otherwise I guess I can always just do allot of measuring little bit of guess work some trial and error and create something similar as I believe finding someone selling one would be difficult cause I doubt there will be many of them

They wouldn't be on their narrow side, they'd be far too low and get crushed. This carrier is held in by the spare wheel winch and aligned by the brackets sticking up from the carrier around the chassis supports. Spend a little time laying under the back of your Perentie and it'll make sense. As for dimensions, I suggest you PM Boxy.

Offline 3lud13

• THANKS 3
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 12:48:26 AM »
Went off road abit this evening and given we have had abit of rain this evening had quite abit of fun found a very large steep stepped incline and tried to see if I could get up it and was very impressed with the results got probably halfway up in total before turning around.
Reason for turning around was tyres had become slick as it was very slippery clay mud stuff and tyres covered in it, have work in morning so last thing I needed was getting stuck middle of the bush, engine started getting quite warm (nearly into the read was regularly sitting high 90's) So what should the temp gauge be reading on highway on way down it sat little over halfway maybe 92 without moving sure tonight was under heavy load so I expected it to be higher was maybe 98ish which had me worried after doing a few heads in my 300tdi I am concerned about overheating the isuzu before I even have it registered.
Thinking I should get one of these to assist in keeping an eye on temperatures http://davesitshop.com/emporium/welltempered-2-channel-temperature-monitor-p104.html
and maybe an engine saver too http://davesitshop.com/emporium/ess1235s.html
just to ensure I don't cook my engine anyone installed these or maybe have something more suited to the task

Offline aussiegregmac

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 97
  • REMLR No: 384
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 12:25:03 PM »
To answer some of your earlier questions.
Firstly note there is two versions of the RFSV.   The one you have is becoming
known as the Mk1 for want of any other classification.
These had provision for four water or fuel jerries at the rear and three spares
including one under the rear.
The Jerry can box underneath came with the Mk2 version.

If your vehicle went to Cairns it was probably with Training Coy. 51st Batt.
Mine stayed there for it's whole life and probably the reason why they
where never converted to Mk2 status.  I prefer the Mk1 but that's personal.
The Training Coy ones from Cairns were certainly pampered.  There's a few
of them out there and they all look like only Mk1 status.

Do you need a Turbo ?.  Don't know, it's up to you.  But maybe the expense doesn't
justify the potential of Reliability and Longevity problems. Investigate beforehand.

Cable Toggle near left foot in front of footwell.  Actuator for the Winch.  Read
the instructions on the firewall.

Throttle Cable Button on right side of steering column to hold the throttle open.
Depress accelerator while turning the knob.  Used to set a fast throttle when required.

Outlets from the top of canopy are for multi section whip antennae attached to the
AN/PRC77 Radio set.  The RFSV didn't normally have radios installed permanently.

Fuel tank Leak.  Check the rubber hoses etc coming out of the top of the tank.

Batteries,  Look for the 105amp AGM (glass mat) batteries.  Mine are Chinese, brand
name Full River.  There are others around.  Expensive but hold a long charge and last
forever. (At least 8-10 years with a regular charge) And no acid spillage.
Greg Mac.

1942 C15 Blitz RadioVan 42-CMP "The PieVan"
1960 Series2 FFW 111-515  "The Woodcutter"
1991 Perentie RFSV 51-699  "Berzerker"
1996 Perentie INF 6x6 202-189 "The Walrus"

Offline 3lud13

• THANKS 3
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 08:30:52 PM »
Thanks heaps for all those answers Aussie Greg some I finally discovered like the lever for the winch by yes reading the firewall, bit hard to read though when most of my driving or time spent with vehicle has been at night.
Throttle cable button came from you I thought I read somewhere it had one but wasn't sure where now I know. Though I am assuming when it is activated there should be a light on the dash lit up with it's corresponding icon, maybe there is a loose wire or blown globe but it doesn't light up for me.

Fuel tank leak I'm thinking I may have just been overfilling today I put 55.77ltr in the left side after draining it yesterday and having to switch sides abit of spluttering and ended up finally taking off under full power again (is that bad for my engine to completely drain my tank before switching over) No drips showing after fueling up today so maybe I was just overfilling it but its on my list to check out when I get a chance.

Hopefully sometime this week will get it in for a roadworthy and see what I have to get done to it.

Offline aussiegregmac

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 97
  • REMLR No: 384
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 09:12:05 PM »
Chargeable Offence to run out of fuel.  Even with a spare.   :-\
1942 C15 Blitz RadioVan 42-CMP "The PieVan"
1960 Series2 FFW 111-515  "The Woodcutter"
1991 Perentie RFSV 51-699  "Berzerker"
1996 Perentie INF 6x6 202-189 "The Walrus"