Author Topic: Mk3 Master Cylinder - Make??  (Read 2342 times)

Offline 4X419

• THANKS 4
Mk3 Master Cylinder - Make??
« on: February 23, 2015, 08:33:27 PM »
Howdy Folks,

This post is just to satisfy my interest. 

I pulled the master cylinder off my truck on the weekend, expecting it to be made by Bendix (Yankee) or Westinghouse (Australian).   What I found in big bold lettering was that it was made by Lockheed (Pommy).

I just wanted to know if the Lockheed mater cylinder was common on the military AACO's??

For your advice please.

Thanks,

Tom

Offline Ravvin

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 61
  • REMLR No: 432
Re: Mk3 Master Cylinder - Make??
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 08:59:58 PM »
That's interesting. I also have a MK3 and I currently have my whole brake master/air actuator out too and its exactly like yours. Only not as clean.

I only have the MK4 RPS and it states that it is made by Bendix and the part number is 272097.
I'm now wondering if the MK3 had a different one.
Do you need parts for yours?
If so, and it's not super urgent, I will be rebuilding mine this weekend and might be able to get you some specific part numbers.
The Mk4 RPS shows a rebuild kit but it's made by Westinghouse Brake & Signal Company Australia. I think I tried to research them and found they were incorporated into Bendix, so kits may still be around.
Oh, if you need a new diaphragm for the air actuator, its also a Bendix part and there are now 2 kinds. The standard one is 234362 (rubber) and the newer one is 236669 (neoprene).

Offline 4X419

• THANKS 4
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 09:11:18 PM »
Yes please Ravvin, if you track down some part numbers for the master cylinder (mainly the seals and the little valve assembly on the downstream end) I would appreciate you letting me know!!  I found the secondary seal in mine was deteriorated and fluid was leaking between the chassis mounted bracket and the master cylinder.

I disassembled my actuator on the weekend as well, and the diaphragm was in really good nick!!  Thanks for the part numbers though - I have written them in my book for future reference!!

Thanks Ravvin!!

Offline john.k

• THANKS 29
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 11:38:10 PM »
Many of the army ones were stainless lined,and whoever did the job drilled the fluid hole too large,and left the bore edge razor sharp.They then shave the edge of the rubber cup,and the cups have a short life.If you need a stainlesslined one,give me a bell,I have dozens of used ones.Regards John.

Offline Ravvin

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 61
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 11:55:26 PM »
Thanks John, I very likely will do that.
I haven't pulled mine apart yet to see how bad it is but what ran out when I disconnected the brake line was really nasty, so I'm expecting the worst.

Greg.

Offline bush man

• THANKS 7
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 11:48:03 PM »
   hi all greg how close to land rover are they considering  that the clutch ones are the same thought it might be another case of
    one fits all.
              john

Offline Ravvin

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 61
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 01:21:15 PM »
Hi John.
These don't look anything like any of the Landrover ones I've seen. Its very solid and pretty much sealed. With the way they fit them to the chassis rail, (behind the jerry can holder and up under the tray), I think they are meant to be maintenance free, except for major servicing, where they would need to be removed to even see the fluid level.
The good news is that it seems the MK3, 4 & all the 6x6 variants have the same master cylinder/air actuator system and parts are still available.
I have been reliably informed that the correct rebuild kit for the master cylinder is PBR part number K3X. I ordered one through Repco and its due Monday. Only one in the state and it was in Hobart. I would have gone and picked it up if it was any closer.
I'll start cleaning it all back tomorrow, ready for rebuilding and painting. I just have to make up an enclosed cabinet/box thing to do the sandblasting in. Messy job.
I'll let everyone know how the rebuild kit works out.

Greg.