Author Topic: Brake upgrade on Gunbuggy  (Read 2934 times)

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
  • REMLR No: 70
Brake upgrade on Gunbuggy
« on: July 15, 2012, 03:15:15 PM »
Today I started to make a move on upgrading the brakes on my Gunbuggy, it was moved yesterday evening and I couldn't make a start until this afternoon, here it is standing on axle stands
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/DJM110/c6d7ce8e.jpg
I'm a tad tired so it is going to have to wait until I get home from work tomorrow to strip each axle of it's brake components, so long as I have it completed for Thursday morning.
The wheel cylinders are going to be sleeved in Stainless steel, anyway cheers Dennis :D

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
Re: Brake upgrade on Gunbuggy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:01:09 PM »
All stripped down, shoes appear to be OK, same with the drums, cylinders are due to be dropped off Thursday morning, and while I'm there doing that I will pick up a sleeved clutch slave cyl (S2A) so next time one decides to die, I will only have to go inside the shed and get it LOL, anyway cheers Dennis :)

Offline cookey

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 57
  • ex-crafty
  • REMLR No: 356
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:15:58 PM »
Hi Dennis,
when you say "brake upgrade" do you mean that you are making changes to improve upon the original brake system, or are you retaining the original layout and upgrading the cylinders with s/steel sleeves?

It's a great looking GB and a real credit to you.

Regards,
Cookey

lost count

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 06:28:24 PM »
Cookey, I'm only having the cylinders sleeved in Stainless steel, the rest will remain as std. Reason for doing this is, that sometimes anyone of these vehicles could stand for 5-9 months without turning a wheel, it gets a bit tiresome having to free up the brake wheel cylinders LOL :(.
The gunbuggy is as it was when the previous owner retired from the Army, it was his personal Land Rover, he purchased it when it was demobbed, and continued to use it for another 9 years until he retired, it still had it's original ARN's until about a week or two before I bought it, he handed them in at the local RTA :'( bugger, anyway cheers Dennis

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 05:41:32 PM »
Well all the relined cylinders have now been fitted, but not without some extra work involved. I noticed this oil leak when stripping them down
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/DJM110/1stsign.jpg
my first thought was to check the diff/breather to make sure it was functioning, and it was, it rattled, bugger, anyway it didn't take long to see why it was leaking
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/DJM110/2ndsignscored001.jpg
generally if you can see marks on the distance piece even though you may not feel them, you can guarantee it will leak.
So off it came, into the lathe and I machined it down so I could split it easily with a chisel
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/DJM110/3ff6c6dc.jpg?t=1343543913
here it is turned down and split, with the new 'Genuine' distance piece pressed onto the stub axle, I also replaced 2 other hub oil seals as they had started to let a small amount of oil out, no marks on the distance pieces, but the front diff/breather needed a good clean, anyway I still haven't finished the job, all that was yesterday and working 6 days a week and it's too cold when I get home, anyway cheers Dennis

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 07:54:46 PM »
Well I have finished the brake job kinda sorta ;), it will need some minor adjustments, but it has a really good strong pedal and more importantly it stops!! 8) LOL. I took it for a short drive this afternoon, after spending way too much time looking for my glasses, they fell out of my pocket in the house, I didn't hear nor see them slip away :-[ anyway the good wife found them hours later :) anyway we will see what Sundays weather brings, might take it for a longer run somewhere out there, cheers Dennis